Mystery Internet traffic

Post by Pete » Sun, 11 Aug 2002 22:53:56

Runing XP Home: TCP/IP over ISDN.

Hi - is there a way to tell what app or process is using the internet
connection or what the connection is connected to at any one time?

When no obvious apps (email, browser etc or auto-update operations) are
running, I still have mysterious 'background' traffic in the form of chunks
of exactly 64 bytes of data being received, regularly every 4.68 seconds.
Nothing being sent at all. This has the effect of holding the connection up
for long periods despite having configured the auto disconnect after 5mins
idle time (which used to work fine). I'm sure the PC never used to do this,
so it must be something that has been installed or updated recently. My A/V
(Trend PC Cillin 2002) shows the system as clear of Trojans etc

If the connection is closed, whatever is doing this does not cause the
connection to be immediately re-established like when the browser or email
is started.

Any ideas please?

Mystery Internet traffic

Post by Pete » Sun, 11 Aug 2002 23:06:19

I have checked the pfirewall.log - althrough there is stuff there, it does
not relate to the subject of this post.

Quote:

> Runing XP Home: TCP/IP over ISDN.

> Hi - is there a way to tell what app or process is using the internet
> connection or what the connection is connected to at any one time?

> When no obvious apps (email, browser etc or auto-update operations) are
> running, I still have mysterious 'background' traffic in the form of
chunks
> of exactly 64 bytes of data being received, regularly every 4.68 seconds.
> Nothing being sent at all. This has the effect of holding the connection
up
> for long periods despite having configured the auto disconnect after 5mins
> idle time (which used to work fine). I'm sure the PC never used to do
this,
> so it must be something that has been installed or updated recently. My
A/V
> (Trend PC Cillin 2002) shows the system as clear of Trojans etc

> If the connection is closed, whatever is doing this does not cause the
> connection to be immediately re-established like when the browser or email
> is started.

> Any ideas please?

Mystery Internet traffic

Post by TheSwed » Mon, 12 Aug 2002 00:25:24

I have  the same problem. I can shut down IE and Outlook Express, but  if I
don't hang up, something keeps feeding stuff to my computer. (It will go on
for hours.) My vendor concluded it is a modem problem. It has arrived but I
haven't installed it yet. I think it is a software problem, but I'm kind of
a klutz so I'm probably wrong. I do not have any firewalls or any doo-dads
like that installed.

> I have checked the pfirewall.log - althrough there is stuff there, it does
> not relate to the subject of this post.

> > Runing XP Home: TCP/IP over ISDN.

> > Hi - is there a way to tell what app or process is using the internet
> > connection or what the connection is connected to at any one time?

> > When no obvious apps (email, browser etc or auto-update operations) are
> > running, I still have mysterious 'background' traffic in the form of
> chunks
> > of exactly 64 bytes of data being received, regularly every 4.68
seconds.
> > Nothing being sent at all. This has the effect of holding the connection
> up
> > for long periods despite having configured the auto disconnect after
5mins
> > idle time (which used to work fine). I'm sure the PC never used to do
> this,
> > so it must be something that has been installed or updated recently. My
> A/V
> > (Trend PC Cillin 2002) shows the system as clear of Trojans etc

> > If the connection is closed, whatever is doing this does not cause the
> > connection to be immediately re-established like when the browser or
email
> > is started.

> > Any ideas please?

Mystery Internet traffic

Post by Pete » Mon, 12 Aug 2002 01:34:37

No - don't think it's a modem problem - it would do it all the time. It is
not doing it now for instance. The machine is in the same state as before
when it was doing this. What's odd is there is no data going out, only in,
like something is just listening to a remote service.
Does your traffic show the same characteristics (rt clk on the connection
icon and select Status)? 64bytes every 4-5 secs, in not out?#

(It's doing it again now..)

More ideas please...

> I have  the same problem. I can shut down IE and Outlook Express, but  if
> don't hang up, something keeps feeding stuff to my computer. (It will go
on
> for hours.) My vendor concluded it is a modem problem. It has arrived but
> haven't installed it yet. I think it is a software problem, but I'm kind
of
> a klutz so I'm probably wrong. I do not have any firewalls or any doo-dads
> like that installed.

> > I have checked the pfirewall.log - althrough there is stuff there, it
does
> > not relate to the subject of this post.

> > > Runing XP Home: TCP/IP over ISDN.

> > > Hi - is there a way to tell what app or process is using the internet
> > > connection or what the connection is connected to at any one time?

> > > When no obvious apps (email, browser etc or auto-update operations)
are
> > > running, I still have mysterious 'background' traffic in the form of
> > chunks
> > > of exactly 64 bytes of data being received, regularly every 4.68
> seconds.
> > > Nothing being sent at all. This has the effect of holding the
connection
> > up
> > > for long periods despite having configured the auto disconnect after
> 5mins
> > > idle time (which used to work fine). I'm sure the PC never used to do
> > this,
> > > so it must be something that has been installed or updated recently.
My
> > A/V
> > > (Trend PC Cillin 2002) shows the system as clear of Trojans etc

> > > If the connection is closed, whatever is doing this does not cause the
> > > connection to be immediately re-established like when the browser or
> email
> > > is started.

> > > Any ideas please?

Mystery Internet traffic

Post by Kell » Mon, 12 Aug 2002 15:33:50

Hi Pete,

Auto-Dial and Checkpoints in Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#xp_autodial

--
All the Best,
Kelly

MS-MVP Win98/XP [AE-Windows? XP]
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Quote:

> Runing XP Home: TCP/IP over ISDN.

> Hi - is there a way to tell what app or process is using the internet
> connection or what the connection is connected to at any one time?

> When no obvious apps (email, browser etc or auto-update operations) are
> running, I still have mysterious 'background' traffic in the form of
chunks
> of exactly 64 bytes of data being received, regularly every 4.68 seconds.
> Nothing being sent at all. This has the effect of holding the connection
up
> for long periods despite having configured the auto disconnect after 5mins
> idle time (which used to work fine). I'm sure the PC never used to do
this,
> so it must be something that has been installed or updated recently. My
A/V
> (Trend PC Cillin 2002) shows the system as clear of Trojans etc

> If the connection is closed, whatever is doing this does not cause the
> connection to be immediately re-established like when the browser or email
> is started.

> Any ideas please?

1. Re Windows XP mystery internet traffic

Hi,
I have just setup a new Toshiba Portege 3500 together
with windows xp pro and mcafee professional virus scan.
Although automatic updates are turned of this one system
uses around 8 to 10 mb of internet traffic per day,
separate to any intentional downloads or email traffic.

Where is this traffic coming from and how do i stop it????

How can I find out what pgms are using the internet and
active?

thanks for all help and guidance,
Les

2. "Documents and Settings" Carnage

3. How to prevent MP7 from causing Internet traffic ?

4. .qm file

5. setting up an internet traffic counter

6. Bug in Hyperlinks to MailTo in Access, Excel and Word - HELP

7. here we got problems managing internet traffic in WINXP

8. mike burgess: list

9. Internet Traffic and VPN

10. Route IP traffic from HPC through host to Internet?

11. TCP/IP disable - monitoring Internet traffic

12. Internet shortcut mystery:

13. Real Player vs WMP and live Air traffic control.