Local Network- Network cable unplugged?

Post by Greg » Fri, 17 May 2002 08:42:36

I have a basic home network set up with a host computer
connected to the internet using a cable modem, and it has
a wireless adapter, it is connected to the client
computer downstairs which also has a wireless adapter.
The whole system appears to be go, but when i attempt to
connect on the client computer, the local area connect,
says that the network cable is unplugged.  HOw do i fix
it, and where is the network cable?

Local Network- Network cable unplugged?

Post by Todd Major » Fri, 17 May 2002 10:30:29

hahaha ... that's a darn good question, Greg!

I'm having the same problem ... except that mine is a
WIRED network, but the wires are all connected -- and they
are good wires (yes, I've verified that).  I did a Google
search for the 'network cable is unplugged' message
(before coming here), and found that MANY other people are
making the same complaint.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able
to find a solid answer.

I did read something about it being a Power Management
issue on XP.  If you go to your LAN connection properties,
and then click the 'Configure' button for the NIC, I
believe there SHOULD be a Power Management (or something
to that effect) tab, in which there is an option
for 'Allow Windows to shut down this device'.  Obviously,
this should NOT be checked.  Trouble is, I don't have that
tab in my 'Configure' box -- nor anything else in the
other tabs that resembles that option.  But that's what I
read should be there.

Anyone else have the answer?  Microsoft?????

-Todd

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I have a basic home network set up with a host computer
>connected to the internet using a cable modem, and it has
>a wireless adapter, it is connected to the client
>computer downstairs which also has a wireless adapter.
>The whole system appears to be go, but when i attempt to
>connect on the client computer, the local area connect,
>says that the network cable is unplugged.  HOw do i fix
>it, and where is the network cable?
>.

Local Network- Network cable unplugged?

Post by <icoc.. » Fri, 17 May 2002 12:27:49

I had the same problem with the Intel Anypoint Home Wired
Network.  My connection was USB and all was plugged in.
The problem turned out to be I needed updated drivers from
Intel.  Since then, the only time that unplugged icon sows
up is if the client pc is not on. So i doubt it's really a
cable unplugged.  What hardware and software are you using
to network?
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>hahaha ... that's a darn good question, Greg!

>I'm having the same problem ... except that mine is a
>WIRED network, but the wires are all connected -- and
they
>are good wires (yes, I've verified that).  I did a Google
>search for the 'network cable is unplugged' message
>(before coming here), and found that MANY other people
are
>making the same complaint.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able
>to find a solid answer.

>I did read something about it being a Power Management
>issue on XP.  If you go to your LAN connection
properties,
>and then click the 'Configure' button for the NIC, I
>believe there SHOULD be a Power Management (or something
>to that effect) tab, in which there is an option
>for 'Allow Windows to shut down this device'.  Obviously,
>this should NOT be checked.  Trouble is, I don't have
that
>tab in my 'Configure' box -- nor anything else in the
>other tabs that resembles that option.  But that's what I
>read should be there.

>Anyone else have the answer?  Microsoft?????

>-Todd

Post by Al » Fri, 17 May 2002 21:43:45

The following was posted by "Dave" on 14 May 2002 in this
forum... It may help some of you.

**********************************

Like a lot of others, I've gotten the 'network cable
unplugged' message on
my 3 pcs connected to a router, and I couldn't figure out
what was up. I
checked cables, conection, drivers etc. and there was
nothing. I looked in
the event viewer (control panel/administrative controls)
and saw that every
40 minutes on the PCs, the NIC was 'reinstalled' - Event
4201 - new adapter
added to the network. The happened when the 'network cable
unplugged'
message came on. I also lost streaming audio at this time.
I have no idea
what was happening every 40 minutes.

"network cable unplugged' means that XP has detected
something wrong with
the network when it scans the network. I edited the
registry and added
DisableDHCPMediaSense to the TCP/IP Parameters section,
and rebooted and
everything is OK. looking at the Event Viewer, is see no
more Event 4201.
See Knowledgebase article Q239/9/24. Streaming media
doesn't hang anymore,
either.

****************************

     Al

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I had the same problem with the Intel Anypoint Home Wired
>Network.  My connection was USB and all was plugged in.
>The problem turned out to be I needed updated drivers
from
>Intel.  Since then, the only time that unplugged icon
sows
>up is if the client pc is not on. So i doubt it's really
>cable unplugged.  What hardware and software are you
using
>to network?

Post by Paul » Sat, 18 May 2002 05:45:56

Hi:

I noticed that you are having a similar problem with your
Anypoint home networking and XP.  I don't mind the icon
telling me the cable is unplugged when my client PC is
power off (most of the time).  Periodically (Like every
15-20 mins) it adds a little message above it telling me
that the cable is unplugged which is very annoying.  Did
you have this problem?  Can you tell me how to get rid of
it?

Thanks,

Paul

Quote:>-----Original Message-----