Out of Date Firmware, what device?

Post by BAR » Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:47:02

The message indicates that it is the Drive that has problems.

What is it's model number and capacity.

One would expect it to be less than 20Gb if this message is applicable.

If you want download the current Seatools software from the Seagate website
to investigate your hard drive.

If this doesn't 'run' then you have a real problem on the drive.

> I have an ECS PT800CE-A motherboard and a P4 processor running Windows
> XP Pro SP2. I have been having a lot of problems with crashing and
> recently found an entry in the System Logs (Control Panel>Administrative
> Tools>Event Viewer>System) that I think might be connected.

> The entry is:

> The driver has detected that device \Device\Ide\IdePort0 has old or
> out-of-date firmware. Reduced performance may result.

> But I don't know if that means the firmware inside the disk drive
> (Seagate ST3160023A) or the controller firmware. The controller is the
> one built into the motherboard.

> I have tried downloading the utilities from ECS, but they don't seem to
> update it. The Seagate software (from the CD that came with it) doesn't
> run at all. Before I replace the motherboard or the drive, I'd like to
> find out if there is some other solution.

> Any help, appreciated.

> --
> Chris Rehm

> It's your dungeon, make it Mammoth.

Out of Date Firmware, what device?

Post by MS-MV » Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:36:34

Chris

Save your data if you can and get the drive replaced..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

>I have an ECS PT800CE-A motherboard and a P4 processor running Windows XP
>Pro SP2. I have been having a lot of problems with crashing and recently
>found an entry in the System Logs (Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event
>Viewer>System) that I think might be connected.

> The entry is:

> The driver has detected that device \Device\Ide\IdePort0 has old or
> out-of-date firmware. Reduced performance may result.

> But I don't know if that means the firmware inside the disk drive (Seagate
> ST3160023A) or the controller firmware. The controller is the one built
> into the motherboard.

> I have tried downloading the utilities from ECS, but they don't seem to
> update it. The Seagate software (from the CD that came with it) doesn't
> run at all. Before I replace the motherboard or the drive, I'd like to
> find out if there is some other solution.

> Any help, appreciated.

> --
> Chris Rehm

> It's your dungeon, make it Mammoth.

Out of Date Firmware, what device?

Post by MS-MV » Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:35:54

I thought  that too until I entered the type into Google.. it's a 160gb
7200rpm drive..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Post by Chris Reh » Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:25:50

[...]

Post by V Gree » Thu, 24 Mar 2005 12:38:06

Quote:> Chris

> Save your data if you can and get the drive replaced..

> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user

> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Mike-

What specifically is XP's criteria for blackballing
this drive?  The cryptic Event Viewer message is,
as usual, totally without enlightenment...

> >I have an ECS PT800CE-A motherboard and a P4 processor running Windows XP
> >Pro SP2. I have been having a lot of problems with crashing and recently
> >found an entry in the System Logs (Control Panel>Administrative
Tools>Event
> >Viewer>System) that I think might be connected.

> > The entry is:

> > The driver has detected that device \Device\Ide\IdePort0 has old or
> > out-of-date firmware. Reduced performance may result.

> > But I don't know if that means the firmware inside the disk drive
(Seagate
> > ST3160023A) or the controller firmware. The controller is the one built
> > into the motherboard.

> > I have tried downloading the utilities from ECS, but they don't seem to
> > update it. The Seagate software (from the CD that came with it) doesn't
> > run at all. Before I replace the motherboard or the drive, I'd like to
> > find out if there is some other solution.

> > Any help, appreciated.

> > --
> > Chris Rehm

> > It's your dungeon, make it Mammoth.

Out of Date Firmware, what device?

Post by MS-MV » Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:02:10

Chris

Not necessarily.. my first action would be to try to get the drive
replaced.. you could, however, contact the maker of the drive and ask if
they can supply firmware.. explain the situation to them and don't listen to
advice re. reinstalling Windows.. stand firm..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Post by Chris Reh » Thu, 24 Mar 2005 12:55:33

Well, I'll get off it what I can. I have only filled about 40GB of the
160. I happen to have purchased a 300GB drive recently, and was going to
use the new one as my data storage.

Is there any way to know what the problem is with this? Is the drive
just trash now?

Thanks all for the feedback.

> Chris

> Save your data if you can and get the drive replaced..

--
Chris Rehm

It's your dungeon, make it Mammoth.

1. ultra1 has old or out-of-date firmware

Event Type:       Warning

Event Source:    ultra

Event Category: None

Event ID:           26

Date:                12/12/2001

Time:                11:47:31 AM

User:                N/A

Computer:         xxxx

The driver has detected that device \Device\Scsi\ultra1 has old or
out-of-date firmware. Reduced performance may result.

The firmware is up-to-date, why am I still receiving this message?

I cam across a message in the archives that stated this is a known issue
with promise controllers as well as asus motherboards that use said
controllers.  Is there a fix for it yet?

2. Name changing

3. Event ID: 26 Out-of-Date Firmware Error Message

4. Which frame flags should be used?

5. HELP - Ultra 1 has old or out of date firmware

6. DOS apps thru XP: specifically games -whuzzup?

7. So many unknown devices after firmware update

8. One IST wait another IST ready?

9. Export Favorites - Explanation of: add date, last visited, modified date

10. sent date changes to the print date

11. Date objects without initializing the date

12. Runtime evaluation timebomb checks image build date or tool install date?

13. Dates of files copied onto CD are always current date