Does internet connection sharing disable file sharing?

Does internet connection sharing disable file sharing?

Post by Martin Gil » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 09:31:55

Hi

I have two Windows XP pro machines and I have run the network setup wizard
on both.
Reviewing the settings it looks sensible enough.

PC 1    NIC1 DCHP (Broadband) (Internet connection sharing)
            NIC2 192.168.0.1 (255.255.255.0)

PC 2    NIC1 192.168.0.67 (255.255.255.0)

PC 1 and PC2 are connected through a hub.
Firewalls are off on all computers/NICs

The problem I have is this:

PC1 can view the shares on PC2 and can access files on it.
PC2 can ping PC1 and connect to the internet through it

But PC2 cannot access files on PC1
When trying to access the computer a login prompt appears and  the error
message

\\computername is not accessible.  You might not hav permission to use this
network resource. Contact the admininstrator of this server to find out if
you have access permission.

The guest account is enabled on both computers and both computers also have
the same user name and passwords on them, yet none of these accounts work

How do give PC 2 permission to access shared files on PC1?

Thanks for any help,

    Martin

Post by Steve Winogra » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 09:53:21

>Hi

>I have two Windows XP pro machines and I have run the network setup wizard
>on both.
>Reviewing the settings it looks sensible enough.

>PC 1    NIC1 DCHP (Broadband) (Internet connection sharing)
>            NIC2 192.168.0.1 (255.255.255.0)

>PC 2    NIC1 192.168.0.67 (255.255.255.0)

>PC 1 and PC2 are connected through a hub.
>Firewalls are off on all computers/NICs

>The problem I have is this:

>PC1 can view the shares on PC2 and can access files on it.
>PC2 can ping PC1 and connect to the internet through it

>But PC2 cannot access files on PC1
>When trying to access the computer a login prompt appears and  the error
>message

>\\computername is not accessible.  You might not hav permission to use this
>network resource. Contact the admininstrator of this server to find out if
>you have access permission.

>The guest account is enabled on both computers and both computers also have
>the same user name and passwords on them, yet none of these accounts work

>How do give PC 2 permission to access shared files on PC1?

>Thanks for any help,

>    Martin

No, ICS doesn't disable file sharing.

If you're running a firewall program on either computer, disable it
and try the file access again.  If that works, enable the firewall.
Activating ICS probably changed IP addresses of your computers, and
firewalls need to be reset after IP addresses change.  Reboot each
computer and see if that helps.

If you're trying to access PC1 using a shortcut in PC2's "My Network
Places", right-click and delete the shortcut, then create a new one.
Or try accessing PC1 by going to Start | Run and typing this in the
box:

   \\PC1
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP

for everyone to see.  I will not reply to E-mail or news group
messages addressed directly to me.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp

Adding Windows XP to an Existing Network
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/addxp.htm

Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics

Windows XP Professional File Sharing

Post by Martin Gil » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 03:57:47

> >Hi

> >I have two Windows XP pro machines and I have run the network setup
wizard
> >on both.
> >Reviewing the settings it looks sensible enough.

> >PC 1    NIC1 DCHP (Broadband) (Internet connection sharing)
> >            NIC2 192.168.0.1 (255.255.255.0)

> >PC 2    NIC1 192.168.0.67 (255.255.255.0)

> >PC 1 and PC2 are connected through a hub.
> >Firewalls are off on all computers/NICs

> >The problem I have is this:

> >PC1 can view the shares on PC2 and can access files on it.
> >PC2 can ping PC1 and connect to the internet through it

> >But PC2 cannot access files on PC1
> >When trying to access the computer a login prompt appears and  the error
> >message

> >\\computername is not accessible.  You might not hav permission to use
this
> >network resource. Contact the admininstrator of this server to find out
if
> >you have access permission.

> >The guest account is enabled on both computers and both computers also
have
> >the same user name and passwords on them, yet none of these accounts work

> >How do give PC 2 permission to access shared files on PC1?

> >Thanks for any help,

> >    Martin

> No, ICS doesn't disable file sharing.

> If you're running a firewall program on either computer, disable it
> and try the file access again.  If that works, enable the firewall.
> Activating ICS probably changed IP addresses of your computers, and
> firewalls need to be reset after IP addresses change.  Reboot each
> computer and see if that helps.

> If you're trying to access PC1 using a shortcut in PC2's "My Network
> Places", right-click and delete the shortcut, then create a new one.
> Or try accessing PC1 by going to Start | Run and typing this in the
> box:

>    \\PC1
> --
> Best Wishes,
> Steve Winograd, MS-MVP

I have all firewalls turned off (Norton2002 disabled, windows firewall off
for both cards and on both PCs) and the problem survives a reboot of both
machines.
Direct addressing of PC1 either through \\PC1 or \\192.168.0.1 do not work.

Interestingly enough, the network troubleshooter claims that it detects that
my computer name may not be unique, although it is. (for completness sake, I
changed the computer name, rebooted and the problem still remained). Aside
from that it cannot help.

Regards,

    Martin

1. Internet Connection Sharing doesn't work when VPN is used on the shared connection

Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) doesn't work when VPN is used on the
shared connection.

Machine WinXP is the ICS host, machine Win98 is the ICS client.  When VPN is
enabled on the shared internet connection on WinXP, Win98 can no longer
connect to the internet.  Is there a way to correct this?

An Microsft knowledge base article mentioned that there is no way around
this, and you have to use VPN on ICS client machine.  But I really need to
use VPN on ICS host machine.

Thanks.

2. * Web to pop *

3. Dial-up Internet Connection Sharing Conflicting with File and Print Sharing

4. about port monitor

5. Internet Connection Firewall (Internet Connection Sharing version) blocks Remote Desktop Web connection

6. Slow reading messages in OE

7. Internet connection sharing - button for sharing is not there

8. If you are looking for SECURE server space + high traffic

9. Modem Sharing (not Internet Connection Sharing)

10. Worrisome Internet Connection Sharing/Internet Connection Firewall problem

11. Internet Connection Sharing Kills Internet Connection

12. Disable Internet Connection sharing on xp

13. Internet connection sharing disables itself