Monitor changes to default on restart

Post by Numfri » Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:25:01

I have an IBM P96 (plug-and-pay) monitor, that I run at 85Hz refresh rate.
About every third or fourth time I restart, the monitor changes to Default
Monitor, with a refresh rate of 60Hz.  I then have to go into "Find New
Hardware", when Windows immediately decides it's a PnP monitor, and I change
it to 85Hz and everything's cool again.
What is going on here?  I'm using XP SP2.
P4 3.06GHz, 1GB RDRAM, AMI BIOS 07.00T, ATI All-in Wonder RADEON 7500 64MB.

Monitor changes to default on restart

Post by Numfri » Tue, 20 Jun 2006 03:01:01

The .ICM file is for Win 95 and 98, not XP.
The problem is NOT that it is identified as a generic PnP, but that it is
identified as Default Monitor - not PnP at all, and therefore not capable of
display at 85Hz.
As I said in my original post, when I go through Find New Hardware, it is
identified as PnP, and everything is peachy after that.

> What you need to do is find the specific .ICM file for your monitor and
> install it.
> This lets XP know that you have an IBM specific monitor and not a
> "plug&play" generic.
> peter

> --
> "Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."

> >I have an IBM P96 (plug-and-pay) monitor, that I run at 85Hz refresh rate.
> > About every third or fourth time I restart, the monitor changes to Default
> > Monitor, with a refresh rate of 60Hz.  I then have to go into "Find New
> > Hardware", when Windows immediately decides it's a PnP monitor, and I
> > change
> > it to 85Hz and everything's cool again.
> > What is going on here?  I'm using XP SP2.
> > P4 3.06GHz, 1GB RDRAM, AMI BIOS 07.00T, ATI All-in Wonder RADEON 7500
> > 64MB.

1. XP Won't Allow Change to Monitor from Default Monitor

Does anyone know how to unlock XP so that I can change
from "Default Monitor" to the Nec MultiSync LCD 2010X
that is installed?  When you get to the monitor tab the
preference button is not available.

Microsoft Update said it had an updated driver for my
video card and after installing the driver it set the
monitor from the Nec to "Default Monitor" and the colors
are all screwed up.  It won't let me change back to the
Nec's profile and ICM file.

Thanks,

2. How Can I Replace My PDC

3. Can't change from default monitor

4. IE marks all news messages as read - some newsgroups only.

5. Changing default monitor

6. Erase location

7. Display changes spontaneously to Default Monitor

8. Debug output from Microsoft Filters, help resolving deadlock

9. Changing the default monitor in XP

10. REQ: How to change monitor from 'default'?

11. Changing the default monitor in XP

12. remove dual monitor or change default