application popups in event viewer: work around found!

application popups in event viewer: work around found!

Post by Wang Ziron » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 17:34:19

To the perfectionists who care:

I have been unconfortable for more than 1 year due to the application
popup present in event viewer (red)

And I have seen this issue posted here, without answers.

The problem is the lack of the file %systemroot%\AppPatch\drvmain.sdb

This should be a bug in the component 'Application Compatibility Core'
MS forgot to include this file (Jon, Andy ?)

since no component includes this file, you must include it in your
configuration:

   %11%\AppPatch\drvmain.sdb

Another problem is: while this file does exist in the repository,
if your build option does not point to it, your must copy it from the
repository to your 'extra file folder', very ugly, isn't it ?
this problem was temporary solved in the beta of SP1, but misteriousely
in the official SP1, the problem reappears.

How have I found this work around ? by brute force:

In fixing another bug that happened in XPe and not in XP pro, I deleted
all files on a XP pro that did not exist on my XPe, and by pure hasard,
I noticed the red 'application popup' in my castrated XP pro, bingo, now
the problem is to find the guilty file amongst 12000. fortunately, I
know the dichotomy principle and have a half day to spend.

HTH

Zirong

application popups in event viewer: work around found!

Post by Wang Ziron » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 17:36:48

I made a mistake: instead of %11%, read %10%

> To the perfectionists who care:

> I have been unconfortable for more than 1 year due to the application
> popup present in event viewer (red)

> And I have seen this issue posted here, without answers.

> The problem is the lack of the file %systemroot%\AppPatch\drvmain.sdb

> This should be a bug in the component 'Application Compatibility Core'
> MS forgot to include this file (Jon, Andy ?)

> since no component includes this file, you must include it in your
> configuration:

>   %11%\AppPatch\drvmain.sdb

> Another problem is: while this file does exist in the repository,
> if your build option does not point to it, your must copy it from the
> repository to your 'extra file folder', very ugly, isn't it ?
> this problem was temporary solved in the beta of SP1, but misteriousely
> in the official SP1, the problem reappears.

> How have I found this work around ? by brute force:

> In fixing another bug that happened in XPe and not in XP pro, I deleted
> all files on a XP pro that did not exist on my XPe, and by pure hasard,
> I noticed the red 'application popup' in my castrated XP pro, bingo, now
> the problem is to find the guilty file amongst 12000. fortunately, I
> know the dichotomy principle and have a half day to spend.

> HTH

> Zirong

application popups in event viewer: work around found!

Post by Doug Hoeffe » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 23:18:19

Wang:

Actually, Andy [MS] already answered this.  Refer to the post 'Whats the
point of Devcon".  I guess I was the squeaky wheel for awhile.

Also, you refer to the fact that drvmain.sdb must be manually copied or
added to the extra files folder.  I'm using SP1 and I'm not seeing this.
All appears OK as I see this file in my OS image.

Anyways, excellent job on figuring this out without MS help!!!

...  Doug

> I made a mistake: instead of %11%, read %10%

> > To the perfectionists who care:

> > I have been unconfortable for more than 1 year due to the application
> > popup present in event viewer (red)

> > And I have seen this issue posted here, without answers.

> > The problem is the lack of the file %systemroot%\AppPatch\drvmain.sdb

> > This should be a bug in the component 'Application Compatibility Core'
> > MS forgot to include this file (Jon, Andy ?)

> > since no component includes this file, you must include it in your
> > configuration:

> >   %11%\AppPatch\drvmain.sdb

> > Another problem is: while this file does exist in the repository,
> > if your build option does not point to it, your must copy it from the
> > repository to your 'extra file folder', very ugly, isn't it ?
> > this problem was temporary solved in the beta of SP1, but misteriousely
> > in the official SP1, the problem reappears.

> > How have I found this work around ? by brute force:

> > In fixing another bug that happened in XPe and not in XP pro, I deleted
> > all files on a XP pro that did not exist on my XPe, and by pure hasard,
> > I noticed the red 'application popup' in my castrated XP pro, bingo, now
> > the problem is to find the guilty file amongst 12000. fortunately, I
> > know the dichotomy principle and have a half day to spend.

> > HTH

> > Zirong

application popups in event viewer: work around found!

Post by Wang Ziron » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 23:30:41

Hi Doug,

what a fool of me, I should from now on read all posts.
actually, I recently ignored most of posts of the devcon thread.
And I have just read them all, seen the answer, I have wasted
half of a day.

what is the content of 'extrat file folder' in your build option ?
because when I leave it blank, TD will generate a error during the build
(F7) saying that 'could not find the file XXXX', I have this error
with taskkill.exe, cacls.exe which are not contained in any component,
so I supposed that this will be the case for drvmain.sdb.

I assume you added a file resource in your configuration.

Zirong

> Wang:

> Actually, Andy [MS] already answered this.  Refer to the post 'Whats the
> point of Devcon".  I guess I was the squeaky wheel for awhile.

> Also, you refer to the fact that drvmain.sdb must be manually copied or
> added to the extra files folder.  I'm using SP1 and I'm not seeing this.
> All appears OK as I see this file in my OS image.

> Anyways, excellent job on figuring this out without MS help!!!

> ...  Doug

>>I made a mistake: instead of %11%, read %10%

>>>To the perfectionists who care:

>>>I have been unconfortable for more than 1 year due to the application
>>>popup present in event viewer (red)

>>>And I have seen this issue posted here, without answers.

>>>The problem is the lack of the file %systemroot%\AppPatch\drvmain.sdb

>>>This should be a bug in the component 'Application Compatibility Core'
>>>MS forgot to include this file (Jon, Andy ?)

>>>since no component includes this file, you must include it in your
>>>configuration:

>>>  %11%\AppPatch\drvmain.sdb

>>>Another problem is: while this file does exist in the repository,
>>>if your build option does not point to it, your must copy it from the
>>>repository to your 'extra file folder', very ugly, isn't it ?
>>>this problem was temporary solved in the beta of SP1, but misteriousely
>>>in the official SP1, the problem reappears.

>>>How have I found this work around ? by brute force:

>>>In fixing another bug that happened in XPe and not in XP pro, I deleted
>>>all files on a XP pro that did not exist on my XPe, and by pure hasard,
>>>I noticed the red 'application popup' in my castrated XP pro, bingo, now
>>>the problem is to find the guilty file amongst 12000. fortunately, I
>>>know the dichotomy principle and have a half day to spend.

>>>HTH

>>>Zirong

application popups in event viewer: work around found!

Post by Doug Hoeffe » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 00:13:08

Wang:

I don't have anything in the TD build options "Extra Files Folder".  This
option field has always been empty on my slx file.

For drvmain.sdb, I created a component that has just one file:  drvmain.sdb
with a path of %10%\AppPatch.

... Doug

> Hi Doug,

> what a fool of me, I should from now on read all posts.
> actually, I recently ignored most of posts of the devcon thread.
> And I have just read them all, seen the answer, I have wasted
> half of a day.

> what is the content of 'extrat file folder' in your build option ?
> because when I leave it blank, TD will generate a error during the build
> (F7) saying that 'could not find the file XXXX', I have this error
> with taskkill.exe, cacls.exe which are not contained in any component,
> so I supposed that this will be the case for drvmain.sdb.

> I assume you added a file resource in your configuration.

> Zirong

> > Wang:

> > Actually, Andy [MS] already answered this.  Refer to the post 'Whats the
> > point of Devcon".  I guess I was the squeaky wheel for awhile.

> > Also, you refer to the fact that drvmain.sdb must be manually copied or
> > added to the extra files folder.  I'm using SP1 and I'm not seeing this.
> > All appears OK as I see this file in my OS image.

> > Anyways, excellent job on figuring this out without MS help!!!

> > ...  Doug

> >>I made a mistake: instead of %11%, read %10%

application popups in event viewer: work around found!

Post by Wang Ziron » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 00:29:18

Hi Doug,

I have just done a build by letting blank the extra file folder, I got
the error: 1005, file not found "drvmain.sdb"

I am using SP1

this did not happen in the beta version of SP1

> Wang:

> I don't have anything in the TD build options "Extra Files Folder".  This
> option field has always been empty on my slx file.

> For drvmain.sdb, I created a component that has just one file:  drvmain.sdb
> with a path of %10%\AppPatch.

> ... Doug

>>Hi Doug,

>>what a fool of me, I should from now on read all posts.
>>actually, I recently ignored most of posts of the devcon thread.
>>And I have just read them all, seen the answer, I have wasted
>>half of a day.

>>what is the content of 'extrat file folder' in your build option ?
>>because when I leave it blank, TD will generate a error during the build
>>(F7) saying that 'could not find the file XXXX', I have this error
>>with taskkill.exe, cacls.exe which are not contained in any component,
>>so I supposed that this will be the case for drvmain.sdb.

>>I assume you added a file resource in your configuration.

>>Zirong

>>>Wang:

>>>Actually, Andy [MS] already answered this.  Refer to the post 'Whats the
>>>point of Devcon".  I guess I was the squeaky wheel for awhile.

>>>Also, you refer to the fact that drvmain.sdb must be manually copied or
>>>added to the extra files folder.  I'm using SP1 and I'm not seeing this.
>>>All appears OK as I see this file in my OS image.

>>>Anyways, excellent job on figuring this out without MS help!!!

>>>...  Doug

> now

application popups in event viewer: work around found!

Post by Heidi Lind » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 01:16:26

Any chance of whacking this up on xpefiles.com?
> [...]

type that says
>"Repository Set".  I have enclosed my component.

>....  Doug

>> Hi Doug,

>> I have just done a build by letting blank the extra
file folder, I got
>> the error: 1005, file not found "drvmain.sdb"

>> I am using SP1

>> this did not happen in the beta version of SP1

>> > Wang:

>> > I don't have anything in the TD build options "Extra
Files Folder".
>This
>> > option field has always been empty on my slx file.

>> > For drvmain.sdb, I created a component that has just
one file:
>drvmain.sdb
>> > with a path of %10%\AppPatch.

>> > ... Doug

posts.
devcon thread.
have wasted

build option ?

error during the build

have this error
in any component,
drvmain.sdb.

configuration.

the post 'Whats
>the
for awhile.

manually copied or
I'm not seeing
>this.

MS help!!!

to the application

answers.

\AppPatch\drvmain.sdb

Quote:

Compatibility
>Core'

include it in your

the repository,

must copy it from the

Quote:>> >>>>>repository to your 'extra file folder', very ugly,
isn't it ?
SP1, but
>misteriousely

in XP pro, I
>deleted
XPe, and by pure
>hasard,

castrated XP pro, bingo,
Quote:

>> > now

12000. fortunately, I

Quote:>> >>>>>know the dichotomy principle and have a half day
to spend.

application popups in event viewer: work around found!

Post by Doug Hoeffe » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 01:51:48

Heidi:

This is kinda of a no brainer component don't you think?  It's only got 1
file!

...  Doug

> Any chance of whacking this up on xpefiles.com?

Post by heidi Lind » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 02:48:52

*shrug* State I'm in today, I think even that would be
likely to go wrong if I did it.

message

>> posts.
>> devcon thread.
>> have wasted

>> build option ?
>> error during the build
>> have this error
contained
>> in any component,
>> drvmain.sdb.

>> configuration.

>> the post 'Whats
>> >the
>> for awhile.

be
>> manually copied or
and
>> I'm not seeing
>> >this.

without
>> MS help!!!

message

due
>> to the application

>> answers.

>> \AppPatch\drvmain.sdb

component 'Application

Quote:>> Compatibility
>> >Core'

>> include it in your

in
>> the repository,
>> must copy it from the
ugly,
>> isn't it ?
>> SP1, but
>> >misteriousely

force:

not
>> in XP pro, I
>> >deleted
>> XPe, and by pure
>> >hasard,
>> castrated XP pro, bingo,

>> 12000. fortunately, I
>> to spend.

>.

application popups in event viewer: work around found!

Post by Wang Ziron » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 02:14:55

hi doug,

could you please send your .sld for the drvmain file,
I just can not get it work letting extra file folder blank.
I have even made a brand new compoent for that thinking that
maybe I have included it in a SP0 made component. but it did not
help.

do you use MSDE (in the XPE CD1) as the data base or another SQL server ?

thanks

> Heidi:

> This is kinda of a no brainer component don't you think?  It's only got 1
> file!

> ...  Doug

>>Any chance of whacking this up on xpefiles.com?

1. Application Popup: Machine Check Regs in Event Viewer

At boot I get two "Application Popup" messages in the Event Viewer, Event ID
26, Machine Check & Machine Check Regs.

Searching Google led me to a MS site expaining that this was related to a
hardware error, however after trying replacements for my Motherboard, CPU
*AND* RAM I am still seeing this entry at boot, A fresh install was no help
either, I am  running a Kt400 based mobo & Athlon XP 2100 & Twinmos PC2100
Ram (256Mb)

I don't have any "current" stability issues, I have ran both Memtest86 and
Prime95 for 8 hours each with zero errors or problems being flagged, but I
really don't want to get all my software & systems set up on the machine
until I'm -100%- sure that I have a working, troublefree CPU/Mobo/Ram setup.

Oddly enough I have a suspiscion that this entry started appearing in my
Event Log *after* I had removed a bad DDR DIMM (flagged as bad by memtest86)
and went from 512Mb to 256Mb ram, but I can't be sure.

Anyone?

Alan.

2. External HDD Usb Drive troubles

3. Worked around ( Events from ListBox)

4. Sound waveform display in X

5. OE shutdown, "Application Error" in event viewer.

6. Broken HP Cradle...

7. event viewer application errors

8. WMS9 configuration on Server 2003 RC2

9. Event Viewer (local)/Application/Warning

10. event viewer/applications

11. Application log file is corrupt in Event Viewer

12. Application Popup errors in System Event Log

13. mmc.exe - application error message when exiting event viewer in xp pro