How to stop drivers being auto-installed from Windows Update?

How to stop drivers being auto-installed from Windows Update?

Post by Andrew McDonal » Thu, 22 Apr 2004 07:44:37

Every so often ATI releases a new driver for their graphics cards. So I download it and uninstall
the previous one, as you're supposed to. This requires a reboot. When the machine has restarted,
Windows recognises that there's a device with no driver - but instead of just using a small default
graphics card driver, it uses my broadband connection to go straight to Windows Update without
asking me, downloads a driver for the card, and installs it! This is an utterly pointless step since
I'm about to install the latest driver anyway, which usually won't be on Windows Update for months.

How can I stop Windows automatically installing drivers from Windows Update like this? A prompt
before dowload and another before install at least would be courteous.

Andrew

How to stop drivers being auto-installed from Windows Update?

Post by pete » Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:36:53

I find that when I disconnect from the net the update wizard has nothing to
install other than its plain vanilla XP ATI driver.This is what I do when I
upgrade my Radeon drivers.
peter

Quote:> Every so often ATI releases a new driver for their graphics cards. So I

download it and uninstall
Quote:> the previous one, as you're supposed to. This requires a reboot. When the

machine has restarted,
Quote:> Windows recognises that there's a device with no driver - but instead of just

using a small default
Quote:> graphics card driver, it uses my broadband connection to go straight to

Windows Update without
Quote:> asking me, downloads a driver for the card, and installs it! This is an

utterly pointless step since
Quote:> I'm about to install the latest driver anyway, which usually won't be on

Windows Update for months.
Quote:

> How can I stop Windows automatically installing drivers from Windows Update
like this? A prompt
> before dowload and another before install at least would be courteous.

> Andrew

How to stop drivers being auto-installed from Windows Update?

Post by Andrew McDonal » Thu, 22 Apr 2004 09:05:47

Thanks for the tip. I guess disabling my network connection is a good idea before the reboot.
Annoying to have to remember this though, I wonder if there's any way to change the behaviour.

Andrew

> I find that when I disconnect from the net the update wizard has nothing to
> install other than its plain vanilla XP ATI driver.This is what I do when I
> upgrade my Radeon drivers.
> peter

> > Every so often ATI releases a new driver for their graphics cards. So I
> > download it and uninstall
> > the previous one, as you're supposed to. This requires a reboot. When the
> > machine has restarted,
> > Windows recognises that there's a device with no driver - but instead of just
> > using a small default
> > graphics card driver, it uses my broadband connection to go straight to
> > Windows Update without
> > asking me, downloads a driver for the card, and installs it! This is an
> > utterly pointless step since
> > I'm about to install the latest driver anyway, which usually won't be on
> > Windows Update for months.

> > How can I stop Windows automatically installing drivers from Windows Update
> > like this? A prompt
> > before dowload and another before install at least would be courteous.

> > Andrew

How to stop drivers being auto-installed from Windows Update?

Post by Richard Urba » Thu, 22 Apr 2004 09:29:58

Wonder why ATI suggests you uninstall the old before you put in the new. Not
to start a flaming war or anything but, I am using an oldish GForce 4 card.
I have installed over 20 sets of drivers for this card, always "on top" of
the old ones. Never had any problems.

What you state is one of the reasons I have never purchased an ATI video
card!

Now, if they were ever to change......

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

Quote:> Every so often ATI releases a new driver for their graphics cards. So I
> download it and uninstall
> the previous one, as you're supposed to. This requires a reboot. When the
> machine has restarted,
> Windows recognises that there's a device with no driver - but instead of
> just using a small default
> graphics card driver, it uses my broadband connection to go straight to
> Windows Update without
> asking me, downloads a driver for the card, and installs it! This is an
> utterly pointless step since
> I'm about to install the latest driver anyway, which usually won't be on
> Windows Update for months.

> How can I stop Windows automatically installing drivers from Windows
> Update like this? A prompt
> before dowload and another before install at least would be courteous.

> Andrew

How to stop drivers being auto-installed from Windows Update?

Post by Rich Barr » Thu, 22 Apr 2004 09:46:37

      Andrew, you can go to Classic Control
Panel>AdminTools>Services>Automatic Updates>rt click and
      select Prop>In the Startup Type Box choose Manual.

Quote:> Every so often ATI releases a new driver for their graphics cards. So I

download it and uninstall
Quote:> the previous one, as you're supposed to. This requires a reboot. When the

machine has restarted,
Quote:> Windows recognises that there's a device with no driver - but instead of

just using a small default
Quote:> graphics card driver, it uses my broadband connection to go straight to

Windows Update without
Quote:> asking me, downloads a driver for the card, and installs it! This is an

utterly pointless step since
Quote:> I'm about to install the latest driver anyway, which usually won't be on

Windows Update for months.
Quote:

> How can I stop Windows automatically installing drivers from Windows

Update like this? A prompt
Quote:> before dowload and another before install at least would be courteous.

Post by Alex Nicho » Fri, 23 Apr 2004 04:13:54

>Every so often ATI releases a new driver for their graphics cards. So I download it and uninstall
>the previous one, as you're supposed to. This requires a reboot. When the machine has restarted,
>Windows recognises that there's a device with no driver

I find that - contrary to what ATI says - you can just run their install
and it will upgrade.  But  the alternative is to run MSConfig.exe and on
the Boot Ini page select BASEVIDEO  and reboot.  That will use basic
drives, and you can now do the uninstall and reboot, still using these.
Now uncheck it, exit but do *not* reboot (perhaps tidy up any left over
ATI files) and run the new install.   Next time you reboot - after the
install -  there will be a message about `Troubleshooting`.  Check the
`Do not show again` box and exit

How to stop drivers being auto-installed from Windows Update?

Post by Andrew McDonal » Fri, 23 Apr 2004 08:50:36

Presumably ATI suggests it because it's good practice for any program. Old parts of programs should
not be left lying around on a system, bits may be discontinued and therefore not be upgraded by an
install, yet may be still referenced somewhere. It's especially important with device drivers
because they're so fundamental to proper PC operation.

Don't you think it's rather a silly reason not to get an ATI card though? Not least because Nvidia
themselves tell you to do exactly the same thing:
http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/56.72/ForceWare_Release_55_Graphic...
page 31 of the PDF / 25 of the document. I haven't checked their driver readmes, but I guess this
effectively limits you to an XGI / S3 / Matrox card for your next upgrade :-)

Andrew

> Wonder why ATI suggests you uninstall the old before you put in the new. Not
> to start a flaming war or anything but, I am using an oldish GForce 4 card.
> I have installed over 20 sets of drivers for this card, always "on top" of
> the old ones. Never had any problems.

> What you state is one of the reasons I have never purchased an ATI video
> card!

> Now, if they were ever to change......

> > Every so often ATI releases a new driver for their graphics cards. So I
> > download it and uninstall
> > the previous one, as you're supposed to. This requires a reboot. When the
> > machine has restarted,
> > Windows recognises that there's a device with no driver - but instead of
> > just using a small default
> > graphics card driver, it uses my broadband connection to go straight to
> > Windows Update without
> > asking me, downloads a driver for the card, and installs it! This is an
> > utterly pointless step since
> > I'm about to install the latest driver anyway, which usually won't be on
> > Windows Update for months.

> > How can I stop Windows automatically installing drivers from Windows
> > Update like this? A prompt
> > before dowload and another before install at least would be courteous.

> > Andrew

How to stop drivers being auto-installed from Windows Update?

Post by Andrew McDonal » Fri, 23 Apr 2004 08:51:52

Thanks for the reply Rich, but doesn't this merely disabling automatic downloading of critical
system updates, not device drivers?

Andrew

>       Andrew, you can go to Classic Control
> Panel>AdminTools>Services>Automatic Updates>rt click and
>       select Prop>In the Startup Type Box choose Manual.

How to stop drivers being auto-installed from Windows Update?

Post by Andrew McDonal » Fri, 23 Apr 2004 08:54:24

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to remember that. Still, I'd prefer some prompting from Windows before
it autodownloads, it would be the easiest solution. Can you pass that on as a request at all?

Andrew

Quote:> I find that - contrary to what ATI says - you can just run their install
> and it will upgrade.  But  the alternative is to run MSConfig.exe and on
> the Boot Ini page select BASEVIDEO  and reboot.  That will use basic
> drives, and you can now do the uninstall and reboot, still using these.
> Now uncheck it, exit but do *not* reboot (perhaps tidy up any left over
> ATI files) and run the new install.   Next time you reboot - after the
> install -  there will be a message about `Troubleshooting`.  Check the
> `Do not show again` box and exit

How to stop drivers being auto-installed from Windows Update?

Post by pete » Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:42:29

Actually I use ZoneAlarm to cut my Internet connection.Somehow I have it set for
"stop all internet" on startup
peter

Quote:> Thanks for the tip. I guess disabling my network connection is a good idea
before the reboot.
> Annoying to have to remember this though, I wonder if there's any way to

change the behaviour.

> Andrew

> > I find that when I disconnect from the net the update wizard has nothing to
> > install other than its plain vanilla XP ATI driver.This is what I do when I
> > upgrade my Radeon drivers.
> > peter

message

> > > Every so often ATI releases a new driver for their graphics cards. So I
> > > download it and uninstall
> > > the previous one, as you're supposed to. This requires a reboot. When the
> > > machine has restarted,
> > > Windows recognises that there's a device with no driver - but instead of
just
> > > using a small default
> > > graphics card driver, it uses my broadband connection to go straight to
> > > Windows Update without
> > > asking me, downloads a driver for the card, and installs it! This is an
> > > utterly pointless step since
> > > I'm about to install the latest driver anyway, which usually won't be on
> > > Windows Update for months.

> > > How can I stop Windows automatically installing drivers from Windows
Update
> > > like this? A prompt
> > > before dowload and another before install at least would be courteous.

> > > Andrew

1. Is it possible to auto install drivers without using windows update?

I've gone to the the http://corporate.windowsupdate.microsoft.com site
and downloaded the drivers for a laptop that I have, yet it still
requires me to manually install the driver.  If I go to
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and select the same driver, it will
install it automatically without any user intervention other than
clicking Yes for the EULA.

Does anyone know how this is being done?  The exact same files are
being downloaded at both sites, and in addition to the driver files,
there is a .cdm file that has a statement using rundll to call an
updatedriver call in sysdm.cpl, but this cannot be run from a command
prompt.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Chad

2. Video Camera connection

3. Stop error after windows update installed raid driver

4. Can't clear IE history

5. How do i stop WinME auto-installing drivers?

6. explorer hogging up CPU

7. Auto update installs wrong version of driver

8. Hardware Upgrade

9. using windows update to install updated drivers

10. Stop Windows Update from Auto Rebooting System

11. auto update instals wrong updated drivers fx5200

12. How do I stop windows automatically opening while I am working on another window?

13. Auto Update continues to d/l installed update