Windows Explorer hangs when I use Win-E

Post by Darre » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 06:45:11

When I use the Win-E key combination on this PC, the Windows Explorer window
appears, but as it tries to expand the My Computer section it just totally
hangs!

When it is in this "hung" state, Internet Explorer won't load, and I cannot
close down the Explorer window.  If I try and end the task, the taskbar
disappears and I'm left with just my desktop.  From that point on I can't do
ANYTHING - Ctrl-Alt-Del does nothing, Ctrl-Alt-ESC does nothing, right
clicks does nothing.  I've left it like this for extended periods of time
and nothing I do helps.  I have to just press the RESET button on the PC,
and then suffer with an apparent system roll-back (see previous thread by
me).

darren

Windows Explorer hangs when I use Win-E

Post by Mike Byrn » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 11:41:08

Take the CD out of the drive and try it.  A dodgy CD drive will do this.

Quote:> When I use the Win-E key combination on this PC, the Windows Explorer

Post by Darre » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 21:14:15

Quote:> > When I use the Win-E key combination on this PC, the Windows Explorer
> window
> > appears, but as it tries to expand the My Computer section it just
totally
> > hangs!

> > When it is in this "hung" state, Internet Explorer won't load, and I
> cannot
> > close down the Explorer window.  If I try and end the task, the taskbar
> > disappears and I'm left with just my desktop.  From that point on I
can't
> do
> > ANYTHING - Ctrl-Alt-Del does nothing, Ctrl-Alt-ESC does nothing, right
> > clicks does nothing.  I've left it like this for extended periods of
time
> > and nothing I do helps.  I have to just press the RESET button on the
PC,
> > and then suffer with an apparent system roll-back (see previous thread
by
> > me).

> Take the CD out of the drive and try it.  A dodgy CD drive will do this.

Thanks for the response, however there isn't a CD in either of the drives.

I also don't have any drives mapped, so it should only be trying to see all
local and available drives.

darren

Post by Darre » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 16:54:10

Quote:> > When I use the Win-E key combination on this PC, the Windows Explorer
> > window appears, but as it tries to expand the My Computer section it
just
> > totally hangs!

> Take the CD out of the drive and try it.  A dodgy CD drive will do this.

Sorry.  First time I read your message I saw that a dodgy ^CD^ would do it,
not the drive itself.

It turned out to be the Freecom USB CD-Writer that I have - the second I
unplugged it, the whole machine kicked back into life again!

Thanks for that.

darren

1. Netscape 4.04 hangs whens JAVA is starting

Hi to all!!!

I don't know what has happened to my system, but whenever a JAVA
applet on a webpage is starting the program says "starting java" and
hangs and I can only kill the application because nothing happens
anymore.

I'm using winNT 4.0 with SP3 and as plugin's Adobe Acrobat 3.01 and
Cosmo Player 2.0. This configuration was working fine until... I realy
don't know.

I've tried to to reinstal netscape 4.04 after I had removed it with
Cleansweep but the problem remains the same.

Even when I click on "Communicator" and "Java Console" the system
hangs and netscape is using 98% of the cpu performance.

At the moment I'm using IE 4.01 but I like netscape much more. Please
help, I don't know what has happened

:-) Hannes in HH

*************************************
Christian Hartmann

*************************************

2. Browser problem?

3. Windows explorer hangs when using as an FTP client

4. Temp folder filling up

5. Windows temporarly hangs when open files from Win Explorer

6. IE 6 caused my laptop not to start...Help...

7. When using Windows Explorer it won't stay open

8. detailed description A: drive activity

9. Constant "hangs" while using Internet Explorer

10. explorer.exe hangs while using SEARCH COMPANION

11. Hanging Internet Explorer and Outlook using Links on a website

12. exiting windows explorer hangs up windows XP