Missing setup files for XP, crossposted to Me.general, Me.setup, XP.general and XP.newusers

Missing setup files for XP, crossposted to Me.general, Me.setup, XP.general and XP.newusers

Post by No-one significant .. » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 22:18:42

 Hi,

Firstly I apologise for the cross-posting, but feel it's justified in
this instance as it concerns both Me and XP.

I have a severely disabled friend running Me OS on an Athlon 1.4 with 30
gig hd, 256 ram, 32 videoram.  We know the computer is capable of running
XP, it easily meets all the specs and we have downloaded any software
drivers and upgrades necessary for scanners, printers etc in advance of
his XP installation.  He has partitioned his hd into 20 gig primary for
Me, he runs it continuously and loves it, but wants to dual-boot XP.  No
great problem we researched what to do etc and all seems fine.  We have a
10 gig partition ready for XP (FAT32) for cross-compatibility of files,
perhaps.  Eventually he reckons he'll run XP exclusively if he likes it.
He's trying to install XP to this 10 gig partition.

However when it comes to set-up of XP every time he runs the installation
routine he gets so far through then gets an error message as follows.

The file
C:\$WIN_NT$~CS\i386\asma\6000\MSFT\WINDOWS\COMMON\CONTROLS\CONTROLS.MAN
is corrupt.  It contains all zeroes.  With an OK button to return.

However, the computer then doesn't start-up in the usual manner, he has
to (I worked it through with him) load using a Me start-up floppy and sys
c: to transfer back to Me, upon which the system is restored ...

It would appear that his XP cd may be corrupt.  I am remote from him, so
haven't been there when he's running the installation, but he is normally
competent around computers and wouldn't (normally) do anything too
st00pid.  I've spoken through the installation with him via telephone and
he isn't doing anything wrong as far as I can tell.  He would like to be
able to download a good copy of the file that's missing, if possible, or
find a way of installing XP for him, without him having to return to the
shop etc.

However, I have some misgivings about the cd he's using and think he may
be trying to use a pirated copy of XP, though haven't directly asked him
this yet.  Would this produce these symptoms ?  Would a 'proper' MS cd
give these symptoms with a corrupted file ?  I don't know enough about XP
to advise him further.

Assistance would be appreciated.  :)

--
Digweed

Missing setup files for XP, crossposted to Me.general, Me.setup, XP.general and XP.newusers

Post by Jason Tsan » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 00:48:22

The error described is indicative of a badly burnt cd.

--
Jason Tsang - Windows XP MVP & Associate Expert

Find out about the MS MVP Program -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;mvpawardintro

Find out about the Windows XP Expert Zone -
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

Quote:> Hi,

> Firstly I apologise for the cross-posting, but feel it's justified in
> this instance as it concerns both Me and XP.

> I have a severely disabled friend running Me OS on an Athlon 1.4 with 30
> gig hd, 256 ram, 32 videoram.  We know the computer is capable of running
> XP, it easily meets all the specs and we have downloaded any software
> drivers and upgrades necessary for scanners, printers etc in advance of
> his XP installation.  He has partitioned his hd into 20 gig primary for
> Me, he runs it continuously and loves it, but wants to dual-boot XP.  No
> great problem we researched what to do etc and all seems fine.  We have a
> 10 gig partition ready for XP (FAT32) for cross-compatibility of files,
> perhaps.  Eventually he reckons he'll run XP exclusively if he likes it.
> He's trying to install XP to this 10 gig partition.

> However when it comes to set-up of XP every time he runs the installation
> routine he gets so far through then gets an error message as follows.

> The file
> C:\$WIN_NT$~CS\i386\asma\6000\MSFT\WINDOWS\COMMON\CONTROLS\CONTROLS.MAN
> is corrupt.  It contains all zeroes.  With an OK button to return.

> However, the computer then doesn't start-up in the usual manner, he has
> to (I worked it through with him) load using a Me start-up floppy and sys
> c: to transfer back to Me, upon which the system is restored ...

> It would appear that his XP cd may be corrupt.  I am remote from him, so
> haven't been there when he's running the installation, but he is normally
> competent around computers and wouldn't (normally) do anything too
> st00pid.  I've spoken through the installation with him via telephone and
> he isn't doing anything wrong as far as I can tell.  He would like to be
> able to download a good copy of the file that's missing, if possible, or
> find a way of installing XP for him, without him having to return to the
> shop etc.

> However, I have some misgivings about the cd he's using and think he may
> be trying to use a pirated copy of XP, though haven't directly asked him
> this yet.  Would this produce these symptoms ?  Would a 'proper' MS cd
> give these symptoms with a corrupted file ?  I don't know enough about XP
> to advise him further.

> Assistance would be appreciated.  :)

> --
> Digweed

Missing setup files for XP, crossposted to Me.general, Me.setup, XP.general and XP.newusers

Post by davexne » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 01:05:09

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:18:42 +0100, "No-one significant ..."

> Hi,

>The file
>C:\$WIN_NT$~CS\i386\asma\6000\MSFT\WINDOWS\COMMON\CONTROLS\CONTROLS.MAN
>is corrupt.  It contains all zeroes.  With an OK button to return.

>It would appear that his XP cd may be corrupt.
>Assistance would be appreciated.  :)

look at this post (then view the thread)
It's almost certainly a bad CD.
Dave
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=aaad...

Missing setup files for XP, crossposted to Me.general, Me.setup, XP.general and XP.newusers

Post by No-one significant .. » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 02:23:45

That is the opinion I had formed, and yes, unfortunately, he has tried to
install from a pirate copy.

Sorry for asking, but thanks for the confirmation.
:)

 Jason Tsang uttered the following :

> The error described is indicative of a badly burnt cd.

>> Hi,

>> Firstly I apologise for the cross-posting, but feel it's justified in
>> this instance as it concerns both Me and XP.

>> I have a severely disabled friend running Me OS on an Athlon 1.4
>> with 30 gig hd, 256 ram, 32 videoram.  We know the computer is
>> capable of running XP, it easily meets all the specs and we have
>> downloaded any software drivers and upgrades necessary for scanners,
>> printers etc in advance of his XP installation.  He has partitioned
>> his hd into 20 gig primary for Me, he runs it continuously and loves
>> it, but wants to dual-boot XP.  No great problem we researched what
>> to do etc and all seems fine.  We have a 10 gig partition ready for
>> XP (FAT32) for cross-compatibility of files, perhaps.  Eventually he
>> reckons he'll run XP exclusively if he likes it. He's trying to
>> install XP to this 10 gig partition.

>> However when it comes to set-up of XP every time he runs the
>> installation routine he gets so far through then gets an error
>> message as follows.

>> The file

C:\$WIN_NT$~CS\i386\asma\6000\MSFT\WINDOWS\COMMON\CONTROLS\CONTROLS.MAN

Quote:>> is corrupt.  It contains all zeroes.  With an OK button to return.

--
Digweed

1. Missing setup files for XP, crossposted to Me.general, Me.setup, XP.general and XP.newusers

[...]

2. Dll with shared memory - how?

3. Madden 2002 Setup: Missing "setup.cfg" file - worked fine last season!

4. diskmgmt.msc

5. XP network setup - setup on Win95 machines

6. Stop Search Agent from connecting

7. Windows setup does not support ASUS NVIDIA card in setup for Windows XP

8. Same here

9. A long general setup question

10. WIN98 Setup: SUWIN caused General Pr. Fault ... !!

11. SUWIN General Protection Fault During Setup

12. Unknown General Protection Fault during Setup

13. XP Home edition - won't boot - missing file - Use setup to repair