Is it my imagination?

Post by Not Kiddin » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 07:35:22

I sit and lurk in several newgroups, is it my imagination, or do people
keep asking the same questions every 5 minutes?

To the people that take time to answer the questions, I just want to say
thanks.  I see MVPs and others take the time and inquire further about
particulars, only to have the OP never respond.  To the ungrateful
posters, quite messing with all the gadgets & widgets and you wont have
the problems you're experiencing, and it wouldn't hurt to say thanks
once in a blue moon.

Is it my imagination?

Post by Ken Blak » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 07:50:26

Quote:> I sit and lurk in several newgroups, is it my imagination, or
do
> people keep asking the same questions every 5 minutes?

Every five minutes is an exaggeration, but yes, many questions
are often repeated.

There are those who complain about this, saying that people
should do a search before asking the question, but I don't agree
at all. If people really knew how to search, they would almost
always be able to find an answer to *any* question, whether it
had been asked on the particular newsgroup or just written about
on a web site sommewhere. It's because they don't don't know how
that newsgroups like this one provide a valuable service.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Is it my imagination?

Post by Consultan » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 07:56:23

5 minutes later....

is it my imagination, or do people ask the same questions every 5 minutes?

Quote:> I sit and lurk in several newgroups, is it my imagination, or do people
> keep asking the same questions every 5 minutes?

> To the people that take time to answer the questions, I just want to say
> thanks.  I see MVPs and others take the time and inquire further about
> particulars, only to have the OP never respond.  To the ungrateful
> posters, quite messing with all the gadgets & widgets and you wont have
> the problems you're experiencing, and it wouldn't hurt to say thanks
> once in a blue moon.

Is it my imagination?

Post by Bill Jame » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 07:58:03

Most of the time they are using the Web Newsgroup interface and are
inexperienced enough to not understand to click the plus next to a
message to see replies.  Also, while the web interface has a search
function, the results are usually incomplete.

If you are interested in checking that posts come from the web
interface, since you are using Outlook Express you can press Ctrl + F3
on a message to see the headers -- look at the "X-Newsreader:"
identifier and you will see CDO for web based posts.

--

Bill James
Microsoft MVPDTS

Win9x VBScript Utilities ? www.billsway.com/vbspage/
Windows Tweaks & Tips ? www.billsway.com/notes_public/

Quote:> I sit and lurk in several newgroups, is it my imagination, or do
people
> keep asking the same questions every 5 minutes?

> To the people that take time to answer the questions, I just want to
say
> thanks.  I see MVPs and others take the time and inquire further about
> particulars, only to have the OP never respond.  To the ungrateful
> posters, quite messing with all the gadgets & widgets and you wont
have
> the problems you're experiencing, and it wouldn't hurt to say thanks
> once in a blue moon.

Is it my imagination?

Post by Bumrunne » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 20:10:18

> I sit and lurk in several newgroups, is it my imagination, or do people
> keep asking the same questions every 5 minutes?

It's not your imagination. It's the same 10-15 people that keep asking the
same questions over and over. That's so it looks like more people use the
junk than really do. That, and it makes it easy for the ones answering
questions to only need to know something about a small set of things.

Is it my imagination?

Post by GSV Three Minds in a Ca » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 02:45:34

>> I sit and lurk in several newgroups, is it my imagination, or do people
>> keep asking the same questions every 5 minutes?

>It's not your imagination. It's the same 10-15 people that keep asking the
>same questions over and over. That's so it looks like more people use the
>junk than really do. That, and it makes it easy for the ones answering
>questions to only need to know something about a small set of things.

They only need to know one thing....
www.google.com, enter your question, hit the 'groups' tab.
8>.

Actually even 'start, help, <enter Q>' would get 50% of the queries
posted here.

--
GSV   Three Minds in a Can

Is it my imagination?

Post by Bumrunne » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 10:25:02

>>> I sit and lurk in several newgroups, is it my imagination, or do
>>> people keep asking the same questions every 5 minutes?

>>It's not your imagination. It's the same 10-15 people that keep asking
>>the same questions over and over. That's so it looks like more people
>>use the junk than really do. That, and it makes it easy for the ones
>>answering questions to only need to know something about a small set of
>>things.

> They only need to know one thing....
> www.google.com, enter your question, hit the 'groups' tab.
> 8>.

> Actually even 'start, help, <enter Q>' would get 50% of the queries
> posted here.

And 100% of the right answers on google. This place isn't even 50-50 on a
good day.

Is it my imagination?

Post by Clem Kadiddlehoppe » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 11:27:57

>> I sit and lurk in several newgroups, is it my imagination, or do people
>> keep asking the same questions every 5 minutes?

> It's not your imagination. It's the same 10-15 people that keep asking the
> same questions over and over. That's so it looks like more people use the
> junk than really do. That, and it makes it easy for the ones answering
> questions to only need to know something about a small set of things.

Makes you wonder if the same people aren't asking and answering.

Is it my imagination?

Post by Alex Nicho » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 22:34:49

>I sit and lurk in several newgroups, is it my imagination, or do people
>keep asking the same questions every 5 minutes?

Regrettably yes.  Especially if they are using the web based 'CDO'
interface.  They seem to think this is a quasi interactive facility and
they 'have a right' to an answer in minutes - they don't,  and post
again.  Also unfortunately that interface does not make it easy to look
back for posts and answers, even if they were inclined.

People answering here are all around the world - many only look in on a
daily basis (I find the unanswered posts downloaded in the UK morning
keep me busy the rest of the day).  So do not expect to get answers
quickly - allow at least 24 and probably 48 hours before concluding you
have been overlooked

--
Alex Nichol MS MVP (Windows - File Systems)