FAT 32 or NTFS

Post by JP » Wed, 21 May 2003 19:28:45

Is there any advantage in converting my system to NTFS?? And if so what
could i gain by doing it??? And.... are there any disadvantages to
converting??

Many thanks in advance

Onion

FAT 32 or NTFS

Post by Borgholi » Wed, 21 May 2003 19:50:31

Quote:> Is there any advantage in converting my system to NTFS?? And if so what
> could i gain by doing it??? And.... are there any disadvantages to
> converting??

> Many thanks in advance

> Onion

NTFS is more stable, it can handle much larger disk sizes, and it has
several useful built-in features (compression, encryption, etc...).  The
only downside is that it may be a bit slower than Fat32...but I consider
that to be a good trade-off.  I've been running NTFS since the first day I
upgraded to XP (more than a year ago).  Not counting the time my hard drive
physically crashed, I haven't had a single corrupted file.  Fat32 used to
develop them all the time.

FAT 32 or NTFS

Post by LJL2 » Thu, 22 May 2003 06:32:14

I've been running FAT32 for more than 3 years with NO
problems. HD's now err 1/100000000000000 bits!

I think NFTS has less usable capacity.

In my case, I run DOS emergency apps that can NOT access
NTFS discs. DOS cant handle NTFS at all.

Read http://aumha.org/a/ntfs.php

HTH

Quote:>Is there any advantage in converting my system to NTFS?? And if so what
>could i gain by doing it??? And.... are there any disadvantages to
>converting??

>Many thanks in advance

>Onion

Any advise given is my attempt to show appreciation for all
the excellent help I've received here but it only applies NUGS
   (Normally, Usually, Generally, Sometimes :)

FAT 32 or NTFS

Post by Opinicu » Thu, 22 May 2003 07:42:22

Quote:> Is there any advantage in converting my system to NTFS?? And if so
> what could i gain by doing it??? And.... are there any disadvantages
> to converting??

The biggest disadvantage of NTFS that I've run into is that you can't boot
your system from a DOS disk and then access the hard drive.

Of course, some people think that this is an advantage of NTFS...

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

FAT 32 or NTFS

Post by Borgholi » Thu, 22 May 2003 07:40:47

> > NTFS is more stable, it can handle much larger disk sizes, and it has

> More stable?

> I'm tired of hearing that. More stable than a dos 6.22 fat16 which NEVER
> crashed?

> More stable than what?

More stable than Fat16 and Fat32 where, in my case, I had corruption pop up
every couple weeks.

FAT 32 or NTFS

Post by Lemon Jell » Thu, 22 May 2003 12:42:41

JP prematurely pulled the chain & typed:

Quote:> Is there any advantage in converting my system to NTFS?? And if so
> what could i gain by doing it??? And.... are there any disadvantages
> to converting??

> Many thanks in advance

> Onion

Having run both FAT32 & now NTFS, I'd recommend NTFS due to its
fault-tolerance - I haven't noticed any real difference in overall
performance (speed). However, you might like to read this page before
using the convert command:
http://aumha.org/a/ntfscvt.htm
Regards, Paul

FAT 32 or NTFS

See my write up on the matter at www.aumha.org/win5/a/ntfs.htm

--
Alex Nichol MS MVP (Windows - File Systems)

FAT 32 or NTFS

Post by Larc » Thu, 22 May 2003 20:05:38

On Wed, 21 May 2003 08:42:22 +0300, Opinicus pondered exceedingly, then took
quill in hand and carefully composed...

|  > Is there any advantage in converting my system to NTFS?? And if so
|  > what could i gain by doing it??? And.... are there any disadvantages
|  > to converting??
|
|  The biggest disadvantage of NTFS that I've run into is that you can't boot
|  your system from a DOS disk and then access the hard drive.

You can to a limited extent with the free version of ReadNTFS:

http://www.programmersheaven.com/zone16/cat920/22441.htm

The free version doesn't permit manipulation of files other than copying, but
it's great for file recovery and examination in case XP won't boot.

Larc

    - Please raise temperature of mail to reply by e-mail -

FAT 32 or NTFS

Post by Bruce Chamber » Fri, 23 May 2003 04:44:41

Greetings --

    Personally, I wouldn't even consider using FAT32 when NTFS is an
option.  FAT32 has no security capabilities, no compression
capabilities, no fault tolerance, and a lot of wasted hard drive space
on volumes larger than 8 Gb in size.

    A little "light" reading, and you can make up your own mind URLs
may wrap):

Overview of FAT, HPFS, and NTFS File Systems
http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=kb;en-us;Q100108

Limitations of FAT32 File System
http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=kb;en-us;Q184006

Limitations of the FAT32 File System in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=kb;en-us;Q314463

Choosing Between File Systems
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/TechNet/pr...

FAT & NTFS File Systems in Windows XP
http://www.aumha.org/a/ntfs.htm

NTFS file system
http://www.digit-life.com/articles/ntfs/

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
----
You can have peace.  Or you can have freedom.  Don't ever count on
having both at once. -- RAH

Quote:> Is there any advantage in converting my system to NTFS?? And if so
what
> could i gain by doing it??? And.... are there any disadvantages to
> converting??

> Many thanks in advance

> Onion

1. Fat 32 to NTFS convert caused NTFS file to be corrupt

Fat 32 to NTFS convert caused NTFS file to be corrupt
resulting in me having to re-install XP,also I cant
download XP SP1 it causes my machine to display the
message pci dll. is missing or corrupt please re-install
Windows.Anyone else had these problems

2. Tweak UI

3. NTFS vs. FAT 32 with 98SE and XP dual boot

4. What apps can't NT run?

5. FAT 32 to NTFS convertion.

6. Winsock applications slow over MS TCP/IP 32 and WFW3.11

7. Fat 32 to NTFS how to?

8. Windows XP Will NOT Power Off (shuts Down OK though)

9. fat 32 and ntfs

10. Difference between: NTFS and FAT(32)

11. switch from NTFS to FAT-32

12. NTFS v. FAT 32 on system disk

13. NTFS & FAT 32 Files System