Question about the "dir" command in the command-line mode

Question about the "dir" command in the command-line mode

Post by Gary » Mon, 22 Apr 2002 05:57:17

I sometimes need to know the 8-character folder name.  It used be  (in
win98) when you gave the command "dir", it would show both the long
filename and the 8-character folder name.  So If I have some folders
like:

History of Rock & Roll Reel 1
History of Rock & Roll Reel 2
History of Rock & Roll Reel 3
History of Rock & Roll Reel 4
History of Rock & Roll Reel 5

the 8-character  abbreviations would probably be

HISTOR~1
HISTOR~2
HISTOR~3
HISTOR~4
HISTOR~5

But depending upon the order in which the folders were created, Reel
numbers did not necessarily correcpond to the numbers after the "~"
character.  So Win98 would tell me

History of Rock & Roll Reel 1       HISTOR~1
History of Rock & Roll Reel 2       HISTOR~3
History of Rock & Roll Reel 3       HISTOR~5
History of Rock & Roll Reel 4       HISTOR~4
History of Rock & Roll Reel 5       HISTOR~2

How can I get this information in WinXP?

------== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Ulimited downloads - 19 servers ==-----

Question about the "dir" command in the command-line mode

Post by David Hollwa » Mon, 22 Apr 2002 06:03:30

Gary,

DIR /X does it for me.. if you type DIR /? it explains all the options, and
there's quite a few of them.

Hope this helps.

Quote:> I sometimes need to know the 8-character folder name.  It used be  (in
> win98) when you gave the command "dir", it would show both the long
> filename and the 8-character folder name.
> [snip]
> History of Rock & Roll Reel 4 HISTOR~4
> History of Rock & Roll Reel 5 HISTOR~2

> How can I get this information in WinXP?

Question about the "dir" command in the command-line mode

Post by Gary » Mon, 22 Apr 2002 06:11:43

Worked perfectly.  Thanks.

On Sat, 20 Apr 2002 22:03:30 +0100, "David Hollway"

>Gary,

>DIR /X does it for me.. if you type DIR /? it explains all the options, and
>there's quite a few of them.

>Hope this helps.

>> I sometimes need to know the 8-character folder name.  It used be  (in
>> win98) when you gave the command "dir", it would show both the long
>> filename and the 8-character folder name.
>> [snip]
>> History of Rock & Roll Reel 4 HISTOR~4
>> History of Rock & Roll Reel 5 HISTOR~2

>> How can I get this information in WinXP?

------== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Ulimited downloads - 19 servers ==-----

Question about the "dir" command in the command-line mode

Post by Courtne » Mon, 22 Apr 2002 09:11:08

dir /x

--
Courtney sends...
Outgoing messages scanned with