Licensing Question (OEM)

Post by Graem » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:50:30

Currently I am running three PC's:
#1: Laptop with XP Home OEM
#2: Desktop with ME OEM
#3: Desktop with 98 SE

Would it be legal for me to buy full version of professional and install it
on #1. Then install home version on #2 (or would this not be possible as it
is a oem). Finally install ME on #3.

Any comments/suggestions would be gratefully received,
Graeme

Licensing Question (OEM)

Post by Guy Barwoo » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:53:57

OEM licences are not able to legally be transfered from one PC/system to
another, no matter what.  If you can actually do it is another issue.

Quote:> Currently I am running three PC's:
> #1: Laptop with XP Home OEM
> #2: Desktop with ME OEM
> #3: Desktop with 98 SE

> Would it be legal for me to buy full version of professional and install
it
> on #1. Then install home version on #2 (or would this not be possible as
it
> is a oem). Finally install ME on #3.

> Any comments/suggestions would be gratefully received,
> Graeme

Licensing Question (OEM)

Post by Neil Hardin » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:57:35

Depends on the OEM type.  If it's been BIOS locked the you may get some
problems. Other wise as long as you can show a license for each copy of the
OS you will be OK.

Quote:> Currently I am running three PC's:
> #1: Laptop with XP Home OEM
> #2: Desktop with ME OEM
> #3: Desktop with 98 SE

> Would it be legal for me to buy full version of professional and install
it
> on #1. Then install home version on #2 (or would this not be possible as
it
> is a oem). Finally install ME on #3.

> Any comments/suggestions would be gratefully received,
> Graeme

Licensing Question (OEM)

Post by CT » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 17:08:14

You will get those on this board that are technically
correct in stating that OEM is tied to the first machine
it is installed on.  However, if you can transfer it and
you are only installing 1 copy of OS on a single machine
big whoop.  Go for it.  However, if you are a business I
would stray from doing it but for your own use*MS
and do it.

CT

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Currently I am running three PC's:
>#1: Laptop with XP Home OEM
>#2: Desktop with ME OEM
>#3: Desktop with 98 SE

>Would it be legal for me to buy full version of

professional and install it
Quote:>on #1. Then install home version on #2 (or would this not
be possible as it
>is a oem). Finally install ME on #3.

>Any comments/suggestions would be gratefully received,
>Graeme

>.

Licensing Question (OEM)

Post by Michael Steven » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 17:26:40

> Currently I am running three PC's:
> #1: Laptop with XP Home OEM
> #2: Desktop with ME OEM
> #3: Desktop with 98 SE

> Would it be legal for me to buy full version of professional and
> install it on #1. Then install home version on #2 (or would this not
> be possible as it is a oem). Finally install ME on #3.

> Any comments/suggestions would be gratefully received,
> Graeme

According to the EULA, this is not possible. OEM versions are tied to the
original system they are installed to.
http://michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#can3
--

Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP

http://michaelstevenstech.com

Licensing Question (OEM)

Post by ct » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 19:16:14

stated like a true MS bleeding heart

> [...]

Licensing Question (OEM)

Post by Michael Steven » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 20:15:50

> stated like a true MS bleeding heart

No MS bleeding heart, just answering the question.
http://michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#can3
 Do you have a better correct and legal answer?

I always liked this post from Fred Retread.
******
!P?werUser! ?

Quote:> It's sorta like saying

I promise (with your fingers crossed)
 then

Quote:> changing your mind afterwards.

Yep, you accept an agreement then you break it.  You could theoretically be
found out and sued to force compliance, but apparently that ain't gonna
happen.  So you're left to deal with it in the temple of your soul.  Either
such things don't matter to you at all, or you find some rationalization.
Either way, if you're not a complete psychopath, you can't escape paying
with a sense of loss of integrity.  Less integrity means less self-esteem,
and with less self-esteem your capacity to enjoy everthing in life is
diminished.  There's no workaround for that law, and no place to hide from
it.

You
 is intended in the editorial sense above.

--
Fred
******

Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP

http://michaelstevenstech.com

Licensing Question (OEM)

Post by Lorne Smit » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 18:51:53

> > Currently I am running three PC's:
> > #1: Laptop with XP Home OEM
> > #2: Desktop with ME OEM
> > #3: Desktop with 98 SE

> > Would it be legal for me to buy full version of professional and
> > install it on #1. Then install home version on #2 (or would this not
> > be possible as it is a oem). Finally install ME on #3.

> > Any comments/suggestions would be gratefully received,
> > Graeme

> According to the EULA, this is not possible. OEM versions are tied to the
> original system they are installed to.
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#can3
> --

> Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP

> http://michaelstevenstech.com

BUT, unless it's a BIOS locked OEM, just how is anyone meant to tell which
machine it originally came on unless the OEM sticker is stuck to the case?
Legally you can't do it, but PROVING you've done it ain't easy! :)

Lorne

Licensing Question (OEM)

Post by Bruce Chamber » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 22:12:01

Greetings --

    Do you always advise strangers to commit theft?

HTH&GL,

Bruce Chambers
__
Always store beer in a dark place. -- RAH

Quote:> You will get those on this board that are technically
> correct in stating that OEM is tied to the first machine
> it is installed on.  However, if you can transfer it and
> you are only installing 1 copy of OS on a single machine
> big whoop.  Go for it.  However, if you are a business I
> would stray from doing it but for your own use*MS
> and do it.

> CT

Licensing Question (OEM)

Post by Bruce Chamber » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 22:10:44

Greetings --

    That is incorrect.  OEM licenses are not transferable, under any
conditions.

HTH&GL,

Bruce Chambers
__
Always store beer in a dark place. -- RAH

> Depends on the OEM type.  If it's been BIOS locked the you may get some
> problems. Other wise as long as you can show a license for each copy of
the
> OS you will be OK.

> > Currently I am running three PC's:
> > #1: Laptop with XP Home OEM
> > #2: Desktop with ME OEM
> > #3: Desktop with 98 SE

> > Would it be legal for me to buy full version of professional and install
> it
> > on #1. Then install home version on #2 (or would this not be possible as
> it
> > is a oem). Finally install ME on #3.

> > Any comments/suggestions would be gratefully received,
> > Graeme

Licensing Question (OEM)

Post by Bruce Chamber » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 22:10:00

Greetings --

    No.  An OEM license is _permanently_ bound to the first PC on which it
was installed.  (This is one of the main reasons OEM licenses cost
significantly less than retail licenses.  So, while you can, if you like,
replace The OEM WinXP Home on the laptop with a retail copy of WinXP Pro (or
any other OS), you cannot subsequently re-use the OEM WinXP Home on another
PC.  The same applies to the OEM WinMe in the desktop: you may replace it if
you like, but you may not re-use it.

HTH&GL,

Bruce Chambers
__
Always store beer in a dark place. -- RAH

Quote:> Currently I am running three PC's:
> #1: Laptop with XP Home OEM
> #2: Desktop with ME OEM
> #3: Desktop with 98 SE

> Would it be legal for me to buy full version of professional and install
it
> on #1. Then install home version on #2 (or would this not be possible as
it
> is a oem). Finally install ME on #3.

> Any comments/suggestions would be gratefully received,
> Graeme

Licensing Question (OEM)

Post by kurttrai » Thu, 19 Sep 2002 00:25:12

Not exactly true either, you can transfer an OEM OS with the hardware to
another person.  You can upgrade all your computer components except the
mobo (according to MS), though I doubt MS could enforce this on an end
user of an OEM OS.

--
Peace!
Kurt

> Greetings --

>     That is incorrect.  OEM licenses are not transferable, under any
> conditions.

> HTH&GL,

> Bruce Chambers
> __
> Always store beer in a dark place. -- RAH

> > Depends on the OEM type.  If it's been BIOS locked the you may get
some
> > problems. Other wise as long as you can show a license for each copy
of
> the
> > OS you will be OK.

> > > Currently I am running three PC's:
> > > #1: Laptop with XP Home OEM
> > > #2: Desktop with ME OEM
> > > #3: Desktop with 98 SE

> > > Would it be legal for me to buy full version of professional and
install
> > it
> > > on #1. Then install home version on #2 (or would this not be
possible as
> > it
> > > is a oem). Finally install ME on #3.

> > > Any comments/suggestions would be gratefully received,
> > > Graeme

Licensing Question (OEM)

Post by kurttrai » Thu, 19 Sep 2002 00:30:05

No theft involved in CT's scenario, just a contract dispute, and the OEM
EULA's wording favors CT's interpretation, more than MS's or your
opinion.  But then again, your opinion and MS's are pretty much the
same, aren't they Bruce?

--
Peace!
Kurt