Resources in workgroup

Post by Zucc » Tue, 02 Jul 2002 04:43:44

Hello:
I have several clients with small W98 based networks, wihout any domain.
Since new computers come with W2k I have solved the problem of the shared
resources between W98 and W2k enabling the guest account. But with XP Pro
this doesn't work. Now the only way I know to let W98 machines accessing W2k
and XP Pro resources is creating in this ones accounts with the same name
and password that the W98 accounts. I doesn't like any of the two ways to
solve the problem for security and other reasons. Anybody knows another way
to solve this problem without a domain?

Excuse my poor english.
Thanks.

Resources in workgroup

Post by rober » Tue, 02 Jul 2002 08:12:36

i dont  think  there is any  other way to  setup a  workgroup network,
without  having to  either enable  the  guest  or  setup a  common  user  on
all computers.
the  best  way  is to setup  common users, enabling  guest a ccount is not a
good  solution  if  your  connected  to  an external  network.

Quote:> Hello:
> I have several clients with small W98 based networks, wihout any domain.
> Since new computers come with W2k I have solved the problem of the shared
> resources between W98 and W2k enabling the guest account. But with XP Pro
> this doesn't work. Now the only way I know to let W98 machines accessing
W2k
> and XP Pro resources is creating in this ones accounts with the same name
> and password that the W98 accounts. I doesn't like any of the two ways to
> solve the problem for security and other reasons. Anybody knows another
way
> to solve this problem without a domain?

> Excuse my poor english.
> Thanks.

Resources in workgroup

Post by Zucc » Sat, 06 Jul 2002 04:16:39

Thanks Robert. If really there isn't any other way, I think MS must take
notice about this big problem.

Quote:> i dont  think  there is any  other way to  setup a  workgroup network,
> without  having to  either enable  the  guest  or  setup a  common  user
on
> all computers.
> the  best  way  is to setup  common users, enabling  guest a ccount is not
> good  solution  if  your  connected  to  an external  network.

1. New Resource: Add-ins and Resources

We just launched a new resource on Microsoft.com\windowsmedia called
"Add-Ins and Resources" today.  This is where you can find 3rd party apps
and cool stuff that includes skins, 3rd party apps and many more resources:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/coolstuff/default.asp

If you have suggestions for other listings, please post them here and I'll
do my best to get them covered.

Thanks
Sean

--
Sean Alexander
Tech. Product Manager- Windows Media Player

2. USB Drivers

3. Something trashing "mssp.vdx" help

4. access domain resource by workgroup

5. Video capture and compression questions

6. Adding users from another computer in a Workgroup environment to a shared resource???

7. my drives dont show

8. how do you remove a workgroup computer or workgroup

9. Justifying upgrade from Workgroups 3.1 to Workgroups 3.11

10. Resource filtering - will Windows re-use unused resources?

11. Howto: Split mfc resources across multiple resource files?

12. locked resources in resource editor