Icons Icons Icons!

Post by Chri » Sun, 09 Mar 2003 09:27:20

Hi all,

I have Windows XP Pro and IE6.  You know what irritates
me?  When I add a URL to favorites, sometimes (depending
on the website, I'm sure) it shows up with an icon that's
obviously coming from the website itself somehow.
Example:  When I added Google to my favorites several
years ago, it had a colorful "G" for an icon.  This sort
of thing happened with a lot of my favorites, but for some
reason, they all lose whatever icons they had over time,
and are now all the boring blue "E".  Where can I get a
huge list of icon files, does anyone know?  Not really a
big deal, but I like to have colorful desktops that have
variety.  The blue "E" is getting old!  Thanks a million!

Chris

Icons Icons Icons!

Post by Kell » Sun, 09 Mar 2003 09:51:44

Hi Chris,

Custom icons are lost when you clean your cache.

These are known as favicons.ico (Favorite Icons) and they
normally will only last until your Internet Explorer Temp files are cleared.

This program will allow you to save the favicons.ico (Favorite Icons)
permanently in a different folder and re-associate your favorites with the
stored icons.

Workaround:

Creat a folder called Icon Selection.  Move all of the renamed favicons to
this folder placed in the root directory of C.  Right click on the Icon,
select Browse and navigate to your Icon Selection folder.  Choose the
renamed favicon and click ok.  These icons will be permanent.

When you right click on an icon, select browse and navigate to the Icon
Selection folder.  Choose the renamed favicon you want and click ok.  Your
customized icons will be permanent.

FavOrg - Restore and Save Favorite Icons (Line 108)

FavesToGo - Save Favorites Quickly (Line 108)

All the Best,
Kelly

MS-MVP Win98/XP-Shell/User [AE-Windows? XP]
Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Quote:> Hi all,

> I have Windows XP Pro and IE6.  You know what irritates
> me?  When I add a URL to favorites, sometimes (depending
> on the website, I'm sure) it shows up with an icon that's
> obviously coming from the website itself somehow.
> Example:  When I added Google to my favorites several
> years ago, it had a colorful "G" for an icon.  This sort
> of thing happened with a lot of my favorites, but for some
> reason, they all lose whatever icons they had over time,
> and are now all the boring blue "E".  Where can I get a
> huge list of icon files, does anyone know?  Not really a
> big deal, but I like to have colorful desktops that have
> variety.  The blue "E" is getting old!  Thanks a million!

> Chris

1. Icons Icons Icons!!!

Hi all,

I have Windows XP Pro and IE6.  You know what irritates
me?  When I add a URL to favorites, sometimes (depending
on the website, I'm sure) it shows up with an icon that's
obviously coming from the website itself somehow.
Example:  When I added Google to my favorites several
years ago, it had a colorful "G" for an icon.  This sort
of thing happened with a lot of my favorites, but for some
reason, they all lose whatever icons they had over time,
and are now all the boring blue "E".  Where can I get a
huge list of icon files, does anyone know?  Not really a
big deal, but I like to have colorful desktops that have
variety.  The blue "E" is getting old!  Thanks a million!

Chris

2. Networking Woes

3. ICON CACHE- Address bar icons/favorite icons

4. Passwords not saved in XP

5. Using Icon Workshop to open and edit icons but keep default icons

6. How to replace NT Workstation with Server?

7. Explorer Icons are covering other icons....

8. How to detect internet connection

9. some special links icons revert to IE icon upon reboot

10. Old icons switched to IE icon

11. IE icon gone in Address Bar; replaced with generic icon.

12. Special Favorites Icons change back to IE icon

13. divider icon from cursor icon???