Windows XP network traffic

Post by Anthony Pau » Fri, 15 Nov 2002 20:45:06

I am going to be deploying XP pro for all my users but I am concerned about
increased network traffic.   I have heard, but I can not find information,
that XP produces alot more network traffic than W9x and WNTWS.  Is this a
myth ?

Windows XP network traffic

Post by Jane Williamso » Wed, 11 Dec 2002 05:31:31

I'm in the middle of an XP deployment and I've noticed that the network
seems to be a lot slower than before the deployment began.  Several XP users
have also noticed a big slow down when opening or saving documents to a
server.  I've searched high and low but I can't seem to find any other
mention of this, let alone any possible solutions.  Hope this helps.

Jane

Quote:> I am going to be deploying XP pro for all my users but I am concerned
about
> increased network traffic.   I have heard, but I can not find information,
> that XP produces alot more network traffic than W9x and WNTWS.  Is this a
> myth ?

1. Windows XP network traffic

I'm hoping that someone out there can clear something up
for me with regard to how much traffic a Windows XP Pro
machine sends and receives as compared to W2K Pro.  I have
a corporate network of about 300 people and we are
thinking of migrating to XP from W9x and W2K.  In a test
deployment, though, the first three XP Pro PCs (all w/ 256
MG memory, 17 GB drives, and Intel 10/100 network cards)
send and receive three times the network traffic that a
W2K Pro PC with identical hardware does!  My main network
is *really* simple, too, using only one network segment
for all clients and servers located on the "inside".  We
use DDNS and WINS (for now); no HOST or LMHOST files.  I
ran a sniffer and found a bunch of UDP-type packets on the
wire - nothing out of the ordinary - but I'm still
wondering WHY is XP so chatty?  Any help?

2. Scanners

3. windows XP reboot during high network traffic???

4. Can't see workgroup and myself in "My Network Places"

5. Windows NT Network Traffic Analysis and Optimization

6. Setting up a small business network

7. Re Windows XP mystery internet traffic

8. Image with granular pattern

9. Throttling and Traffic Shaping on Windows XP SP1

10. M3U's won't display correctly and High Network traffic

11. Excessive network traffic - packets sent and received

12. setting up a network traffic counter

13. Networking - Query re constant traffic?