Seeing a 200GB SATA under XP Home problem

Seeing a 200GB SATA under XP Home problem

Post by Kyle Comtess » Wed, 19 May 2004 13:04:31

Hi i need techincal asisstant on how to access a 200GB
SATA drive under Windows XP Home.

I am using a 40gb IDE hard drive for my operating system
and programs.

Windows Hardware detects the hard disk but doesn't give it
a drive letter.

if anyone can give me information on how to enable access
to the SATA drive with my primary IDE still attached it
would be greatly appreciated.

My system is as follows:

Pentium 4 2.6C HT
512 MB Dual Channel RAM
40GB Primary Master IDE HDD
200GB SATA-0 HDD
Standard CD-ROM
Combo DVD/CD-RW
Geforce4 MX440 AGP8X

My mainboard is INTEL D865GLC

Thanks
Kyle Comtesse

Seeing a 200GB SATA under XP Home problem

Post by Jerr » Wed, 19 May 2004 13:19:51

One - your motherboard BIOS must be capable of supporting that size of a
drive.

Two - you must have SP1 installed and 48-bit LBA turned on.

Quote:> Hi i need techincal asisstant on how to access a 200GB

Post by Tom » Wed, 19 May 2004 19:52:01

Quote:> Hi i need techincal asisstant on how to access a 200GB
> SATA drive under Windows XP Home.

> I am using a 40gb IDE hard drive for my operating system
> and programs.

> Windows Hardware detects the hard disk but doesn't give it
> a drive letter.

> if anyone can give me information on how to enable access
> to the SATA drive with my primary IDE still attached it
> would be greatly appreciated.

> My system is as follows:

> Pentium 4 2.6C HT
> 512 MB Dual Channel RAM
> 40GB Primary Master IDE HDD
> 200GB SATA-0 HDD
> Standard CD-ROM
> Combo DVD/CD-RW
> Geforce4 MX440 AGP8X

> My mainboard is INTEL D865GLC

 Id Windows detects it, then you need to open Disk Management, and format
the drive, where during this process you can assign a drive letter to it. I
would do a quick format, just to see if that will solve your problem.

Click Start/Run, then type (no quotes) "diskmgmt.msc" and click OK. Then
right click the drive in question, choose format, and use the NTFS filing
system, which should be default. It is fairly easy after that to make your
letter assignments.

If you cannot perform this, then you may have to make changes in the BIOS
(your MOBO) for it to use the SATA drive. You will need to refer to your
BIOS documentation for this, or visit the Intel web site.

Seeing a 200GB SATA under XP Home problem

Post by Bob Harri » Wed, 19 May 2004 23:28:00

When you say that windows detects the hard drive, do you mean that you can
see it in the "disk managment console"?  If so, what is the format, as seen
by windows?  If "raw", then you need to partition and format (FAT32 or
NTFS).  This can be done form within the disk management ocnsole, or through
use of the XP recovery console, whihc is run form the XP CDROM.  (The disk
management console is easier to use.)

However, if you mean that the power on testing (POST) sees the disk, then
that is not windows, but the motherboard/BIOS that is seeing the disk.  A
good first step, but not enough by itself for XP to see the disk.  For SATA
disks one usually needs to install special drivers, since XP was developed
before such disks were available.  (This may no l,onger be true for newer
motherboards; consult the otherboard manual.)  The drivers usually come from
the motherboard manufacturer, not from the disk manufacturer.  Read the
motherboard manual for details. (If a pre-fabbed PC, contact the PC maker's
support site for more info.  Try FAQs first, or a search on SATA.)

Finally, XP has native support for disks only as large as 127Gig.  For XP to
correctly use (or maybe even see) a 200 Gig disk, SP-1 for XP must be
installed, and 48-bit LBA must be enabled.  See the following links:

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1115

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

Quote:> Hi i need techincal asisstant on how to access a 200GB
> SATA drive under Windows XP Home.

> I am using a 40gb IDE hard drive for my operating system
> and programs.

> Windows Hardware detects the hard disk but doesn't give it
> a drive letter.

> if anyone can give me information on how to enable access
> to the SATA drive with my primary IDE still attached it
> would be greatly appreciated.

> My system is as follows:

> Pentium 4 2.6C HT
> 512 MB Dual Channel RAM
> 40GB Primary Master IDE HDD
> 200GB SATA-0 HDD
> Standard CD-ROM
> Combo DVD/CD-RW
> Geforce4 MX440 AGP8X

> My mainboard is INTEL D865GLC

> Thanks
> Kyle Comtesse

1. Windows XP Pro sees 200Gb SATA HD as 136Gb and BIOS as 200Gb

I just installed new WD2000JD SATA Caviar 200Gb HD on my PC. (9 months old).
I also upgraded the bios so the BIOS sees the disk correctly as 200Gb. While
installing windows it says that I have only 136Gb HD. After the installation
windows explorer reported as 200Gb but after restart the chkdsk kik-up and
staffed all the installation. It found a lot of bad sectors ...  When I put
this disk as data disk without windows booting from it - it is working
correctly. (with windows from second HD).

From that I understand that the problem is with windows. So my question is
what to do???

Tx in advance

JR

2. Choosing Media Player Filter in VB application

3. 200GB SATA HD, but PC only sees 136GB?!?!

4. "Object Moved" message

5. Seagate 200GB SATA Hard Disk in Winxp Pro sp2....problem...

6. NMAKE Makefiles

7. Ok so I've got an SATA harddrive, WD 200GB and..

8. Im locked out

9. new Windows XP Install not seeing SATA drives

10. SATA RAID Matrix problem with XP Home

11. Promise SATA 300 (SATA-IO) PCI controller on a a SATA 150 capable motherboard.

12. Xp installed on SATA drive with ... no SATA controller !

13. Win XP Home machine not seeing XP pro machines