View a fax from the Fax Console

Post by Mike » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 22:55:44

Using the built in fax software. I cannot open for
viewing a fax that is stored in the in or out box. I
checked the file associations and TIF is configured to
open the windows picture and fax viewer. When I locate
the file on the harddrive and click on it, it opens the
viewer and I can see the fax. I just can open it from
within the Fax console. Any ideas?

View a fax from the Fax Console

Post by Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 23:41:27

Did you apply SP1 recently? I'm seeing many users report this after applying
SP1, but can't repro that here.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Quote:> Using the built in fax software. I cannot open for
> viewing a fax that is stored in the in or out box. I
> checked the file associations and TIF is configured to
> open the windows picture and fax viewer. When I locate
> the file on the harddrive and click on it, it opens the
> viewer and I can see the fax. I just can open it from
> within the Fax console. Any ideas?

View a fax from the Fax Console

Post by Mike » Sun, 06 Oct 2002 06:33:08

I do have SP1 install but I can't say that this is the
cause of the problem as I have just begun to use the FAX
feature.
Mike
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Did you apply SP1 recently? I'm seeing many users report
this after applying
>SP1, but can't repro that here.
>--
>Russ Valentine
>[MVP-Outlook]

View a fax from the Fax Console

Post by Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook » Sun, 06 Oct 2002 07:28:08

All I know is that many users are reporting the same problem, but that I
haven't encountered it. It seems to be one of the many bugs in XP Fax that
is not being investigated.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Quote:> I do have SP1 install but I can't say that this is the
> cause of the problem as I have just begun to use the FAX
> feature.
> Mike

Post by Tisc » Sun, 06 Oct 2002 09:02:18

I had the same problem.  Fax viewing from the Fax Console worked fine before
installing SP1.
I uninstalled SP1 and the problem went away.

Tisch

Quote:> I do have SP1 install but I can't say that this is the
> cause of the problem as I have just begun to use the FAX
> feature.
> Mike

Post by Mack L » Sun, 06 Oct 2002 10:07:14

I, too, can no longer view a fax from Fax Console.  This problem began after
installing SP1 from the CD.  Had a fine-running WinXP before.  I've tried
tinkering with the Open line for TIF files and re-registering the viewer
dll, all to no avail.  One other thing I've noticed is the Picture/Fax
Viewer will no longer open my image editer when clicking on that icon.
Guess we're stuck with this problem for a while.

Mack

Quote:> I do have SP1 install but I can't say that this is the
> cause of the problem as I have just begun to use the FAX
> feature.
> Mike

Post by Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook » Sun, 06 Oct 2002 10:21:23

As far as I can tell, SP1 creates more problems with XP Fax than it solves,
and no one is working on these issues at this time.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

> I, too, can no longer view a fax from Fax Console.  This problem began
after
> installing SP1 from the CD.  Had a fine-running WinXP before.  I've tried
> tinkering with the Open line for TIF files and re-registering the viewer
> dll, all to no avail.  One other thing I've noticed is the Picture/Fax
> Viewer will no longer open my image editer when clicking on that icon.
> Guess we're stuck with this problem for a while.

> Mack

> > I do have SP1 install but I can't say that this is the
> > cause of the problem as I have just begun to use the FAX
> > feature.
> > Mike

Post by Mike Starkma » Sun, 06 Oct 2002 21:19:27

I sure hope that these newsgroups are monitored and that this information is
being looked at in Redmond.

Mike

Quote:> I, too, can no longer view a fax from Fax Console.  This problem began
after
> installing SP1 from the CD.  Had a fine-running WinXP before.  I've tried
> tinkering with the Open line for TIF files and re-registering the viewer
> dll, all to no avail.  One other thing I've noticed is the Picture/Fax
> Viewer will no longer open my image editer when clicking on that icon.
> Guess we're stuck with this problem for a while.

> Mack

View a fax from the Fax Console

Post by Duan » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 11:02:58

My fax viewing is also broken after applying SP1.

> [...]

Post by Geof » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 11:46:48

I too have this problem. Did a little tracking and found that when
trying to view a fax the tif file is actually being created in the temp
directory (usually   c:\documents and setting\ [user]\local settings
\temp  ) and if you have that folder open and try to view a fax a new
tif file is created then you can actually open it and view it from there
(what a pain) so it would seem that the "open file" part of the sequence
has either been dropped or blocked.

> I sure hope that these newsgroups are monitored and that this
> information is being looked at in Redmond.

> Mike

>> I, too, can no longer view a fax from Fax Console.  This problem
>> began
> after
>> installing SP1 from the CD.  Had a fine-running WinXP before.  I've
>> tried tinkering with the Open line for TIF files and re-registering
>> the viewer dll, all to no avail.  One other thing I've noticed is the
>> Picture/Fax Viewer will no longer open my image editer when clicking
>> on that icon. Guess we're stuck with this problem for a while.

>> Mack

View a fax from the Fax Console

Post by Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 19:59:47

The following information would be helpful in trying to see if this problem
can be reproduced (so would a valid e-mail address, by the way):

Before you started the XP SP1 installation, did you have a stable XP
with a working fax component?

Was the original XP an upgrade over a different OS (such as Win98), or a
fresh install?

 Did the SP1 installation go smoothly all the way?

 Did you lose fax-view immediately after the upgrade, or did you install
some other software before problems started?

When you try to view a fax TIFF file, do you receive any error message, e.g.
one which might indicate a security problem ("Access Denied" etc)?

Did you try to double-click on a non-fax TIFF file (a picture)? What happens
then?

The developers need to figure out if you lost TIFF file association. A more
direct
way to do this would be: Open the file explorer, click Tools and select
Folder Options. Then select the File Types tab, and look for the TIF and
TIFF extensions (leftmost column). Can you find them? What is the associated
File Types (right column)?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

> My fax viewing is also broken after applying SP1.

Post by Mack L » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 08:23:25

hello, russ......here are some answers to the questions below, maybe they
will help........

Quote:> The following information would be helpful in trying to see if this
problem
> can be reproduced (so would a valid e-mail address, by the way):

> Before you started the XP SP1 installation, did you have a stable XP
> with a working fax component?
             yes

> Was the original XP an upgrade over a different OS (such as Win98), or a
> fresh install?

            fresh install
Quote:

>  Did the SP1 installation go smoothly all the way?
            yes

>  Did you lose fax-view immediately after the upgrade, or did you install
> some other software before problems started?

            immediately
Quote:

> When you try to view a fax TIFF file, do you receive any error message,
e.g.
> one which might indicate a security problem ("Access Denied" etc)?

             no, just a bit of disk activity, then nothing
Quote:

> Did you try to double-click on a non-fax TIFF file (a picture)? What
happens
> then?

             the picture/fax viewer opens normally
Quote:

> The developers need to figure out if you lost TIFF file association. A
more
> direct
> way to do this would be: Open the file explorer, click Tools and select
> Folder Options. Then select the File Types tab, and look for the TIF and
> TIFF extensions (leftmost column). Can you find them? What is the
associated
> File Types (right column)?

            paint shop pro. i can change to picture/fax viewer, but no
change in
            the problem - ie fax console still won't show a fax from view
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]

> > My fax viewing is also broken after applying SP1.

Post by Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 08:57:44

Thank you. I'll forward this information on to the developers. It will be a
big help.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

> hello, russ......here are some answers to the questions below, maybe they
> will help........

> > The following information would be helpful in trying to see if this
> problem
> > can be reproduced (so would a valid e-mail address, by the way):

> > Before you started the XP SP1 installation, did you have a stable XP
> > with a working fax component?
>              yes

> > Was the original XP an upgrade over a different OS (such as Win98), or a
> > fresh install?
>             fresh install

> >  Did the SP1 installation go smoothly all the way?
>             yes

> >  Did you lose fax-view immediately after the upgrade, or did you install
> > some other software before problems started?
>             immediately

> > When you try to view a fax TIFF file, do you receive any error message,
> e.g.
> > one which might indicate a security problem ("Access Denied" etc)?
>              no, just a bit of disk activity, then nothing

> > Did you try to double-click on a non-fax TIFF file (a picture)? What
> happens
> > then?
>              the picture/fax viewer opens normally

> > The developers need to figure out if you lost TIFF file association. A
> more
> > direct
> > way to do this would be: Open the file explorer, click Tools and select
> > Folder Options. Then select the File Types tab, and look for the TIF and
> > TIFF extensions (leftmost column). Can you find them? What is the
> associated
> > File Types (right column)?
>             paint shop pro. i can change to picture/fax viewer, but no
> change in
>             the problem - ie fax console still won't show a fax from view

> > --
> > Russ Valentine
> > [MVP-Outlook]

> > > My fax viewing is also broken after applying SP1.

1. Fax Console - can't send fax to remote fax

message ' The fax printer cannot be accessed.'

I'm wanting to use the remote fax facility that supposedly
comes with Windows XP. I have 1 PC with a fax/modem
installed and the fax service and another test PC across
the LAN. It connects ok and reconises the remote fax using
the fax console but whenever I try and create or send a
fax to it from the test pc I get the above message. Note
also that I have given full access rights to everyone to
use the fax facility. I have also tried many other tests
with different PC's with the same results.

2. FTP API in Win95 & NT

3. Can not view Fax from Fax Console

4. Two bugs

5. Can't view faxes in Fax Console

6. file search

7. Fax viewing problems (MS Fax Console)

8. Original IE still runs despite removal of access

9. Can't view faxes in fax console

10. cannot view fax in Fax Console

11. Fax Console status: All fax printers are inaccessible

12. Fax Console cannot open fax sent

13. receiving faxes with windows xp fax console