Removing unwanted programs that start with windows

Removing unwanted programs that start with windows

Post by Frank Snedake » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 23:05:04

How can one remove programs that automatically startup when windows is
started?
I am not talking about those that are in the Startup Folder. That is simple.
In windows 98 you could remove these by accessing tools in System
Information
program, but I can't do that in XP. Any suggestions?

Removing unwanted programs that start with windows

Post by Ieks » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 23:17:16

Quote:> How can one remove programs that automatically startup when windows is
> started?
> I am not talking about those that are in the Startup Folder. That is
simple.
> In windows 98 you could remove these by accessing tools in System
> Information
> program, but I can't do that in XP. Any suggestions?

You can better shut down then remove.
Do like this:

Start --> Run and type msconfig ---> Take the most right TABblade (RUN or
so......) and remove the marks on the programs you dont want to startup with
the Win startup.
Then reboot......

Removing unwanted programs that start with windows

Post by rak » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 00:49:16

Do a google search for regcleaner or look for it at the
TechTV site.  It has a much nicer way to remove startup
programs than msconfig.

bericht

>> How can one remove programs that automatically startup
when windows is
>> started?
>> I am not talking about those that are in the Startup
Folder. That is
>simple.
>> In windows 98 you could remove these by accessing tools
in System
>> Information
>> program, but I can't do that in XP. Any suggestions?

>You can better shut down then remove.
>Do like this:

>Start --> Run and type msconfig ---> Take the most right
TABblade (RUN or
>so......) and remove the marks on the programs you dont

want to startup with

Quote:>the Win startup.
>Then reboot......

>.

Removing unwanted programs that start with windows

Post by Bruce Chamber » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 12:25:34

Greetings --

    In most cases, one need only open the offending program and
deselect the option to "display icon in the system tray" or to "start
when Windows starts."

    Failing that, you can use Start > Run > MSConfig to temporarily
turn off the automatic startup of these programs.  MSConfig will also
show you where the commands starting these programs are originating,
so that you can permanently eliminate the source of your irritations.
Look in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start
Menu\Programs\Start Up and C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start
Menu\Programs\Start Up folders, and in the system registry, primarily
in the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys.

Bruce Chambers
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
----
You can have peace.  Or you can have freedom.  Don't ever count on
having both at once. -- RAH

Quote:> How can one remove programs that automatically startup when windows
> is
> started?
> I am not talking about those that are in the Startup Folder. That is
> simple.
> In windows 98 you could remove these by accessing tools in System
> Information
> program, but I can't do that in XP. Any suggestions?

Removing unwanted programs that start with windows

Post by javacatREMOVET.. » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 02:08:42

Like he said, first try to find a way to turn it off within the program's
options or configuration dialog.  Reboot and see if it worked.

Everyone should also get themselves a copy of the "Startup Control Panel",
it lets you disable those programs that don't have their own option to do
so.

 http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Removing unwanted programs that start with windows

Post by Kell » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 20:23:18

Hi Frank,

Go to Start/Run and type in:  msconfig.  From there open the Startup tab.
Uncheck accordingly.  Once unchecking, to rid of the redundant boot message
and to rid of the disabled listings, run this script:

Clear Disabled Items from Msconfig Startup (Line 148)

If you have decided not to remove all disabled items, run this script after
closing msconfig, but before rebooting:

Stop the Selective Startup Screen (Line 173)

In lieu of: removing the runkeys, will remove the listings and the
Notification Area icons.  They can be removed from here:  Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Run

--
All the Best,
Kelly

MS-MVP Win98/XP-Shell/User [AE-Windows? XP]
Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com