XP home problems

Post by Doug » Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:49:51

I could use a little help, started my machine last night
and this is the error message I get:

Windows could not start because the following file is
missing or corrupt: \system32\drivers\pci.sys

My only option to repair is the recovery console and it
seems to not have all its options as with Windows XP pro.
when I try to reinstall I lock up on the EULA and all I
can do is hit Esc and reboot???

Could this be hardware?

XP home problems

Post by Peter Hutchiso » Mon, 11 Aug 2003 19:58:13

Quote:>I could use a little help, started my machine last night
>and this is the error message I get:

>Windows could not start because the following file is
>missing or corrupt: \system32\drivers\pci.sys

>My only option to repair is the recovery console and it
>seems to not have all its options as with Windows XP pro.
>when I try to reinstall I lock up on the EULA and all I
>can do is hit Esc and reboot???

>Could this be hardware?

No, with the recovert console you can copy and expand a fresh copy of
pci.sys onto c:\windows\system32\drivers or disable it using the
disable pci.sys command so windows will not try to start it.

Peter Hutchison
Windows FAQ
http://www.pcguru.plus.com/

1. OE 6 XP/Home Problem with sitching Identities

Am a recent convert to IE and OE from Netscape world, and so this is my
first foray into OE.

I've set up identities for both myself and my wife, and each of us have two

time (9 out of 10 ?) when we switch from one to the other identity,
everything works fine. But the one out of 10th time, OE just goes away! No
apparent error. When you try and start OE again, you get a few seconds of
hour-glass pointer, then back to regular pointer and OE does not start. OE
will not start again until Windows/XP is re-booted. Even attempting to get
mail from IE after this has happened results in the same pointer scenario.

Anybody have any ideas where to begin looking?

2. Error Message - Windows Protection Error: You need to restart your computer.

3. Win Xp Home problem.......... please help

4. outlook express 6

5. Weird Little XP Home Problem

6. MIPS 3000 & reading from odd address

7. XP Home Problems Booting...

8. address book

9. Upgrading from 98 2ed to XP Home - Problem

10. windows xp Home problem sharing files

11. Seeing a 200GB SATA under XP Home problem

12. Windows XP home problems , runtime error and file missing error

13. Microsoft Notebook Optical Mouse & XP Home Problem