Java apps in IE6

Post by S.C » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 05:17:08

I am having problems playing games at pogo.com, I go to a game and it tells
me I need to download a Java machine app, I click on download and then
I get a screen that says Java Virtual Machine is no longer available for
Windows XP? How can I play these games that require JVM?

Thanks

Java apps in IE6

Post by terri stratto » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 06:12:47

http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/c...

If the above link wraps, try this one - http://makeashorterlink.com/?L23552351

Its the same site.

A couple of non-MS sites are

http://ftp.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/systems/win95/fixes/VM/msjavx86.exe
and
ftp://ftp.uq.edu.au/mirror/microsoft/patches/winxp/javavm_3319_MIL_42...
--
Terri Stratton
Microsoft MVP -  Windows XP

> I am having problems playing games at pogo.com, I go to a game and it tells
> me I need to download a Java machine app, I click on download and then
> I get a screen that says Java Virtual Machine is no longer available for
> Windows XP? How can I play these games that require JVM?

> Thanks

1. Java app calling Java app through command.com loses env vars

I'm starting to use a product that has one step of its installation/setup that
is a cmd script that calls a Java application that ends up using command.com to
call another Java application.  The last Java application needs to references
environment variables set in the cmd script.

In Windows 2000, this process works fine.  The last Java application sees the
environment variables fine.  In Windows XP, however, the last Java application
seems to have no environment variables (I've only tried several, but I haven't
checked to see if there are any at all).

I wish they had written this process better (as the second Java application has
a relatively easy-to-use API that they could have just called directly from the
first Java application), but they didn't.  I don't expect them to re-architect
this any time soon.

The question I have is, is there something that changed between Win2k and WinXP
in the area of calling other applications through command.com, such that a
downstream called application wouldn't be able to get any environment
variables?

Is there something they're supposed to use instead of "command.com" for this
sort of thing?  I know there's "cmd" and "command", and "cmd" appears to be
much more functional, but I don't know a lot about the differences between
them.

David M. Karr          ; Java/J2EE/XML/Unix/C++

2. Midi files made as attachments in XP

3. IE6.0 hangs when launching java apps or redirected pages

4. XP & SM Bus Controller

5. Java Plug-ins

6. UT2003Demo & Order of Devices in Game Controller Applet

7. IE6 and basic internet apps work, most 3rd party apps do not.

8. Inaccessable folders

9. Java Plug-Ins

10. (Navigator) Why am I continually queried on plug-ins/apps?

11. Turning Windows apps into browser plug-ins

12. Plug-ins vs. Helper Apps