"Remember each folder's view settings" doesn't work.

"Remember each folder's view settings" doesn't work.

Post by Claude Sylvai » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 10:02:07



Hello,

How come the "Folder Options"->"View"->"Remember each folder's view
settings" doen't work ???

It there something special to do to make this setting working properly ???

Thank you for your help.
Claude Sylvain

 
 
 

"Remember each folder's view settings" doesn't work.

Post by Mark L. Ferguso » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 10:50:06


View settings have a 400 folder limit. There is a reg hack to extend that on
Kelly's site.

Kelly's Korner for Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

--
Mark L. Ferguson   TabletPC MVP

All email without "QZ" in the subject line will be automatically deleted.
marfer's notes for XP  >  http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/xp_notes.htm
.


Quote:> Hello,

> How come the "Folder Options"->"View"->"Remember each folder's view
> settings" doen't work ???

> It there something special to do to make this setting working properly ???

> Thank you for your help.
> Claude Sylvain


 
 
 

"Remember each folder's view settings" doesn't work.

Post by Rick » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 10:59:27


Hi Claude,

WindowsXP will remember the settings of up to 400 folders, after that it starts forgetting some. See this from MVP Kelly for a way to increase this number:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Line 2, increase the folder view size limit to 8000

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org


> Hello,

> How come the "Folder Options"->"View"->"Remember each folder's view
> settings" doen't work ???

> It there something special to do to make this setting working properly ???

> Thank you for your help.
> Claude Sylvain

 
 
 

"Remember each folder's view settings" doesn't work.

Post by Claude Sylvai » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 21:44:08


Hello Mark,
Hello Rick,

Thank you for your help.  I greatly appreciate it.

But I want to say more...

    In my work place, I used Windows2000 for over 2 years long without
having any problems of this kind.  Few months ago, I had a new PC with
WindowsXp installed on it.  After working just few days with it, the problem
appear.
    Is it possible that the problem is that WindowsXp do not manage Folder
setting saving as smartly as Windows2000 ???  When I write that, the first
thing I think about is: "When the maximum setting saving count has been
reached, is this the oldest setting that was destroy to make place to save
the new one ???".  I think that the answer will be "Yes" for Windows2000 and
"No" for WindowXp.  Is this hypothesis is good ???  If Yes, can we expect
Microsoft to make WindowsXp view setting saving management as smart as
Windows2000 ???

Thank you again.
Claude Sylvain



> View settings have a 400 folder limit. There is a reg hack to extend that
on
> Kelly's site.

> Kelly's Korner for Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

> --
> Mark L. Ferguson   TabletPC MVP

> All email without "QZ" in the subject line will be automatically deleted.
> marfer's notes for XP  >  http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/xp_notes.htm
> .



> > Hello,

> > How come the "Folder Options"->"View"->"Remember each folder's view
> > settings" doen't work ???

> > It there something special to do to make this setting working properly
???

> > Thank you for your help.
> > Claude Sylvain

 
 
 

"Remember each folder's view settings" doesn't work.

Post by Mark L. Ferguso » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 22:28:44


No, the limit will remain a part of XP. It is expected behavior and by design.

Theme limitations are a problem the new GUI has had in XP from the start.
Sometimes features are a 'trade off'. The usual way a programmer will explain
the issue is to refer to the _Good_Ship_Vasa_. ( a ship with so many 'features',
it sank.)

Why Did the Vasa Sink?
http://www.vasamuseet.se/skeppet/darfor/why.html

--
Mark L. Ferguson   TabletPC MVP

All email without "QZ" in the subject line will be automatically deleted.
marfer's notes for XP  >  http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/xp_notes.htm
.


> Hello Mark,
> Hello Rick,

> Thank you for your help.  I greatly appreciate it.

> But I want to say more...

>     In my work place, I used Windows2000 for over 2 years long without
> having any problems of this kind.  Few months ago, I had a new PC with
> WindowsXp installed on it.  After working just few days with it, the problem
> appear.
>     Is it possible that the problem is that WindowsXp do not manage Folder
> setting saving as smartly as Windows2000 ???  When I write that, the first
> thing I think about is: "When the maximum setting saving count has been
> reached, is this the oldest setting that was destroy to make place to save
> the new one ???".  I think that the answer will be "Yes" for Windows2000 and
> "No" for WindowXp.  Is this hypothesis is good ???  If Yes, can we expect
> Microsoft to make WindowsXp view setting saving management as smart as
> Windows2000 ???

> Thank you again.
> Claude Sylvain



> > View settings have a 400 folder limit. There is a reg hack to extend that
> on
> > Kelly's site.

> > Kelly's Korner for Windows XP
> > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

> > --
> > Mark L. Ferguson   TabletPC MVP

> > All email without "QZ" in the subject line will be automatically deleted.
> > marfer's notes for XP  >  http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/xp_notes.htm
> > .



> > > Hello,

> > > How come the "Folder Options"->"View"->"Remember each folder's view
> > > settings" doen't work ???

> > > It there something special to do to make this setting working properly
> ???

> > > Thank you for your help.
> > > Claude Sylvain

 
 
 

"Remember each folder's view settings" doesn't work.

Post by TOM » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 23:10:26


Rick,

I hate to feel like a dummy, but which line should be modified in
the.reg file I downloaded?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell]
"BagMRU Size"=dword:00001f40

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam]
"BagMRU Size"=dword:00001f40

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sorry to be such a pain, and I've modified my registry in the past, but
it always makes me nervous, even though I always back it up before tweaking.

Thanks,

Tom - Vista, CA


> Hi Claude,

> WindowsXP will remember the settings of up to 400 folders, after that it starts forgetting some. See this from MVP Kelly for a way to increase this number:

> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

> Line 2, increase the folder view size limit to 8000

 
 
 

1. ? "Remember Password" only works intermittently (a.k.a. RP doesn't work)

    Hi,

    I've got Remember Password checked in Outlook Express but a lot of the
time it doesn't seem to have any effect and I still get asked my password
anyway.  This happens with all the accounts, but it only happens now and
then.  There does not seem to be any sort of pattern to whether or not I get
asked.

    Why doesn't the Remember Password option work all the time?  Is there
time-out that, that is, does the option only work for a while then
automatically ask again?  If so, then it's timing out often quick sometimes.
Is there something that the mail server can do to force OE to ask?  I know
that it will ask regardless of the setting if the server says the password
is incorrect but it's not, the passwords are all correct.

    How can I get OE to save (remember) my passwords and quit bugging me
permanently?

    Thanks.

--
Alec S.

2. Setting wallpaper

3. MSIE 5.0 - "Save Picture As" doesn't remember folder?

4. Serious problem w non-stop unwanted music

5. "Remember my password" doesn't work!!!

6. D3D and AGP

7. WMEncoder 9 "Beta" worked, "Release Candidate" doesn't

8. Eliminating help in Win95

9. WMEncoder 9 "Beta" Works, But "Release Candidate" Doesn't

10. document.open("text/html", "replace") doesn't work for frames !

11. "View Source" doesn't work

12. "View Source" doesn't work for me :(

13. Explorer Folder doesn't remember 'Tile View'