XP not shutting down when shut down clicked

XP not shutting down when shut down clicked

Post by katz84 » Mon, 16 Dec 2002 08:17:50

In the last couple days, my xp system will not shut down when I click Start
button/turn off computer and Standup, Restart or Turn off have any effect.
You can't even power off with the power button.  The only way to get it to
turn off is click Log Off, and when you get to the blue screen with the
different user names on it, you can click either Turn Off or Restart.  Those
work.
thx

XP not shutting down when shut down clicked

Post by Frank Dreyfu » Mon, 16 Dec 2002 09:05:42

Quote:> In the last couple days, my xp system will not shut down when I click
> Start button/turn off computer and Standup, Restart or Turn off have
> any effect. You can't even power off with the power button.  The only
> way to get it to turn off is click Log Off, and when you get to the
> blue screen with the different user names on it, you can click either
> Turn Off or Restart.  Those work.
> thx

I don't know if this will help, but try closing all running applications;
especially those in the taskbar.  If this let's you shut down, one or
more of these is the offender.  You can then identify the problem makers
by a process of elimination.

If this doesn't work, do the same thing followed by using the task
manager to end any suspicious processes.

HTH, Frank

XP not shutting down when shut down clicked

Post by Blueicelad » Mon, 16 Dec 2002 10:06:32

i found it was the burner software i was using, try uninstalling it and then
reinstalling it with any updates it has.