Problems Networking WinXP with Win98se

Post by Ryan Hick » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 18:19:59

I have a 2 computer home network which worked fine 2 days ago.

I upgraded the server computer to Windows XP Pro and have tried to
re-install the network.

Internet sharing over the network works fine, and from the Win98se
computer I can access the WinXP's files.  But from the XP computer I
cannot access the Win98 computer files.  I get this error message

"\\comp2 is not accessible.  You might not have permission to use this
network resource.  Contact the administrator of this server to find out
if you have access permissions.
The network path was not found."

Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanx

Ryan

Problems Networking WinXP with Win98se

Post by Russ » Fri, 16 Nov 2001 03:04:41

You have to run the network setup wizard on the Win98 box
and it should fix it..  see network troubleshooting in
help for more details

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I have a 2 computer home network which worked fine 2 days
ago.

>I upgraded the server computer to Windows XP Pro and have
tried to
>re-install the network.

>Internet sharing over the network works fine, and from
the Win98se
>computer I can access the WinXP's files.  But from the XP
computer I
>cannot access the Win98 computer files.  I get this error
message

>"\\comp2 is not accessible.  You might not have

permission to use this

Quote:>network resource.  Contact the administrator of this
server to find out
>if you have access permissions.
>The network path was not found."

>Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanx

>Ryan
>.

Problems Networking WinXP with Win98se

Post by Miguel Robinet » Fri, 16 Nov 2001 04:28:38

Hi to everyone that has been having network trouble getting their older
windows computers 95 - 98 - 98SE being able to have a Windows XP ( Home -
Pro ) computer access the older windows computers shares and have them show
up on your network, here is what all I did after three days of working on my
network as I have 5 Windows 98 SE computers and now a Windows XP home
computer on my network, this will also work with Windows XP Pro as we sent
up one of these yesterday also.

First I will tell you how to setup your Windows 98SE - 98 - 95,

right click on network neighborhood, when you have the network window up,
you should have listed as follows

Client for Microsoft Networks - left click on this and you will see a
general tab with logon validation, leave the box where it says Log on to
Windows NT Domain unchecked as if you click it will as you for a password to
logon to the NT Domain each time you start your computer there is info on
this here on This article describes how to cache your Microsoft Windows NT
domain password in Windows Millennium Edition (Me), Windows 98, and Windows
95

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q140/7/09.asp

In the box where it says Windows NT Domain put the name that you have named
your home
network i.e. ( homenet ) , on the bottom where it says Network logon options
it depend on how you like to set it up if you don't have any mapped drives
you can go with quick logon as your system will start quicker

Any Adapters that you might have i.e.
AOL
Dial-up Adapter
Network Adapter

On all the adapters above make sure you have all the bindings clicked on and
that sets up that part.

IPX/SPX-compatible Protocol -> Network Adapter - setup on the Netbios tab
click on I want to enable Netbios over IPX/SPX, when you do this it will add
Netbios support for IPX/SPX-compatible Protocol on the configuration tab of
the network window, next go to the advanced tab and check and see what you
have set for Maximum Connections set this to the number of total computer
that you have on your network i.e. 5, then look at the Network address and
see if its still set at 0, bindings click on all binds here

Netbios support for IPX/SPX-compatible Protocol - see info on this above in
IPX/SPX as it tell you how this gets added on.

TCP/IP -> Network adapter - click on tabs as follows

IP Address - if you want to obtain your IP address automatically click there
or enter your IP address if the computer has a one assigned to it

WINS Configuration - I have mine set for Disable WINS Resolution, but it
just depends on your ISP service

Gateway - If you have a Gateway you more then likely already have it entered
here

DNS Configuration - I have mine set for Enable DNS, in Host put what ever
you want to call this computer Domain Name is the Name of your ISP not your
network name.

DNS Server Search Order - If you ISP gave you Info on your DNS Servers enter
this info here or you can find it by doing winipcfg as it will show up there
if you had Disable DNS clicked on Before this when you click on more info
tab with your network adapter showing.

Bindings - unclick all the bindings as this makes your computer more secure
as per
http://grc.com/ can tell you more on this issue, when you click to go from
this box to Advance you will get a window that pops up saying ( You have not
selected any drivers to bind with. Would you like to select one now ? )
Click on NO, on Advanced there is nothing to do here, the same with the
Netbios tab also, click on OK to finish setting up TCP/IP.

Primary Network Logon - On most of my computer I have this Set to Windows
Logon as it won't ask you to logon with a password like Client for Microsoft
Networks would if you have it set for that, and I have 2 set to Microsoft
Family Logon as they were setup for multi-users at one time,

File and Printer sharing for Microsoft Network - you should all know how to
use and set this part up by now

Identification tab on Network window -
Computer name : what ever you decide on calling this computer as you will
see it on you network as.

Workgroup: what ever you call your Workgroup i.e. ( homenet ) make sure that
this is the same name that you put in when you did the step up in Client for
Microsoft Networks above.

Computer Description : how ever you want to describe your computer as it
will show up as this if you do view with details.

Access Control tab on Network window - I have this set for Share-level
access Control

click on ok as we're done here in setting up this computer, you will get a
box saying ( You must restart your computer before new setting will take
effect. Do you want to restart your computer now ? ) click on yes and have
you system setup disk ready as it might ask you to put that in so it can
load any new or updated drivers.

all this above sets up your windows 95 - 98 - 98SE computers

Next I will go into how to setup your Windows XP Computer,

Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections, right click on Network
adapter connection

General tab - this connection uses the following item :

Client for Microsoft Network
File And Printer Sharing for Microsoft Network
QoS Packet Scheduler
NWlink Netbios

NWlink IPX/SPX/Netbios Compatible Transport Protocol, On this item check the
properties and make sure that the Internal Network Number is 0 or what
Network address you used when setting up you Windows 98SE - 98 - 95 computer
before.

Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) click on properties, if you want to obtain your
IP address automatically click there or enter your IP address if the
computer has a one assigned to it and the Gateway also,

Use the following DNS server addresses, put in the server address like
before above,

Click on Advanced now, if you put in a IP address you will see it now and
the default gateway, if you went with obtain an IP address automatically you
won't see anything here, if you have a default gateway that you like to use
you can add it so it uses the right gateway even tho you have it set for
getting the IP address automatically,

DNS Tab - shows the DNS Server Addresses that you enter earlier
Click on Append these DNS Suffixes ( in order ) then the Add Button and put
you ISP Domain
name i.e. (home.net)

DNS Suffix for this connection put your ISP Name here (home.net)

Wins Tab

unclick Enable LMHOST lookup

Netbios Setting - Default

Options Tab - TCP/IP filtering -> Properties, unclick on Enable TCP/IP
Filtering (All Adapters)

that ends it for the TCP/IP

Authentication - leave as it was set up

Advanced tab - Internet Connection Firewall Click on this if you wish to you
the Windows XP Firewall, not the best firewall but better then nothing, as I
use zonelab.com zonealarm on mine

next right click on My computer -> properties -> Computer Name

Computer description: how ever you want to describe your computer as it will
show up as this if you do view with details.

Full Computer Name:

Workgroup: make sure this is the same name that you called your network on
your other computers i.e. ( homenet )

if you need to change this click on To rename this computer or to join a
Workgroup click change, then enter the right name in Computer name and
Workgroup,

Now hit ok and reboot and then you should have full access to all your
computers if not check to see that everything is setup right on any that you
don't have access to.

This will work without Internet access also as I have disconnected my
systems from the Internet to check this out already,

so good luck hope this work's for the rest of you that are still having the
same troubles that I had in getting mine setup.

No tech support by way of email just print out all this msg follow it and
you'll do ok, in getting your network running also.

1. I have dual boot Win98SE-Win2k and I want Win98SE-WinXP how do I get there???

I'm going to try and keep this short but there are a lot of details and I'd
love some help or incites.

My current development machine has the following
    TWO physical harddrives, both with MANY partitions
    Win98SE on Drive1/Partition 1
         and dual boot with
    Win2000 on Drive 2./Partition 1

There are installed programs in Win98 that reside on partitions beyond drive
letter C or D.

I want to get rid of Win2000 and have a dual boot between Win98 and Windows
XP Professional.

My questions are
1. How do I uninstall Win2000?
2. Will Windows XP play nice and exist in a dual boot environment with
Win98SE?
3. How can I consolidate the hard drive space on the 2nd physical disk

So what I have is
drive letter
C    Win98 on disk one
D    Win2k on disk two
E    disk 1, win98 programs
F    disk 1, win98 programs
G    disk 1, files no programs
H    disk 2, files, no programs
I     disk 2, files, no programs
J    disk 2, large NTFS partition that win98 can't see

What i'd like is to consolidate the drive space on the 2nd harddrive and
replace Win2k with WinXP

I assume I can just uninstall win2k (but I can't find any documentation on
how!)
FDisk the 2nd disk
Install XP

 but are there any catches? how do I uninstall 2000? and can I do all this
and keep the drive letters intact for the 1st hard drive?

thanks
mike

PS Remove the x from my email address if you want to reply directly....

2. Thanks for nothing, and ...

3. Can I network an WinXP PC to a Win98se PC?

4. Memory Problems (not mine!)

5. cannot print from WinXP to a network printer shared under Win98SE

6. how can i join more news-group?

7. Networking - WinXP with Win98se

8. Testing new WWW Server for Winsock App FAQ

9. Network between WinXP and Win98se

10. Networking Win98SE machine and WinXp machine with a router.

11. Home Network winxp and win98se

12. Win98SE/WinXP Networking using NetBEUI

13. Intel Anypoint wireless network with win98se and winxp