Continuous Restart

Post by Tom » Mon, 19 Aug 2002 11:30:20

We have a Compaq 5461 that was originally Win98 and has
been upgraded to WindowsXP home (Build 2600).  It is being
used to access AOL for Email, IE for browsing, and AIM for
chat (*age variety).  McAfee VirusScan is always
running and is automatically updated.  The machine has a
40gb Western Digital drive, 9gb Compag drive, 384mb ram,
CDRW and DVD.  We've had no significant issues in past 6
months.

This morning, the machine was frozen after being connected
to AOL overnight through our home network and Comcast
cable. Upon re-booting, the boot process moves past the
initial XP splash screen then shuts down and begins to
boot again.  I cannot get past the shutdown point despite
using every option under the boot options (safe mode, safe
mode with network, etc.)  The result is always the same -
splash screen followed by blank screen with hourglass,
then automatic restart.  No error messages are reported
for any devices or services during the boot.

Continuous Restart

Post by Shena » Mon, 19 Aug 2002 11:47:20

Boot with your XP CD.. Do a repair install..

Not the FIRST repair option, but the second.

--
Shenan

> We have a Compaq 5461 that was originally Win98 and has
> been upgraded to WindowsXP home (Build 2600).  It is being
> used to access AOL for Email, IE for browsing, and AIM for
> chat (*age variety).  McAfee VirusScan is always
> running and is automatically updated.  The machine has a
> 40gb Western Digital drive, 9gb Compag drive, 384mb ram,
> CDRW and DVD.  We've had no significant issues in past 6
> months.

> This morning, the machine was frozen after being connected
> to AOL overnight through our home network and Comcast
> cable. Upon re-booting, the boot process moves past the
> initial XP splash screen then shuts down and begins to
> boot again.  I cannot get past the shutdown point despite
> using every option under the boot options (safe mode, safe
> mode with network, etc.)  The result is always the same -
> splash screen followed by blank screen with hourglass,
> then automatic restart.  No error messages are reported
> for any devices or services during the boot.

Continuous Restart

Post by ks » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 09:26:27

i had a similar restart problem i think i got it*ed i
had to go into safe mode system properties then the
advanced tab .... startup and recovery then write debug
information u may have to play with the memory dump
settings

Continuous Restart

Post by Tom » Thu, 22 Aug 2002 14:55:56

Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately, the BIOS wouldn't recognize the CD (or DVD)
devices regardless of how I set the boot sequence.  I
downloaded the floppies for XP and tried to boot with them
but on the sixth and final disk I got the message:  File
ntfs.sys caused an unexpected error (512) at line 5010 in
d:\XPclient\base\boot\setup\setup.c.  The machine then
began recycling again.

I've been unable to boot in safe mode which seems to be
the most common suggestion, so I can't even start the
repair.  My guess is that an error with ntfs.sys does not
bode well for the future . . .

Continuous Restart

Post by Shena » Thu, 22 Aug 2002 21:14:24

Assuming your CD is D:....
Ick.

Sounds like your CD is bad or your CDROM Drive is bad.

--
Shenan

> Thanks for the advice.

> Unfortunately, the BIOS wouldn't recognize the CD (or DVD)
> devices regardless of how I set the boot sequence.  I
> downloaded the floppies for XP and tried to boot with them
> but on the sixth and final disk I got the message:  File
> ntfs.sys caused an unexpected error (512) at line 5010 in
> d:\XPclient\base\boot\setup\setup.c.  The machine then
> began recycling again.

> I've been unable to boot in safe mode which seems to be
> the most common suggestion, so I can't even start the
> repair.  My guess is that an error with ntfs.sys does not
> bode well for the future . . .

1. Continuous Restart

My computer recently suffered a lsass.exe System eroor and
now will not go into Windows, it continuously restarts. I
went into recovery console, but I did not personally
install XP and do not know the Adminstrator password. How
can I get past this, or is there any other wy to fix this
error without losing all the information on my system ?
.

2. HP 6L LASER JET AND XP

3. HP and XP! Continuous Restart w/blue screen

4. Help with cgi/perl for IIS

5. Continuous Restart Loop

6. enabling active desktop

7. winxp continuous restart during upgrade

8. microsoft intellipoint bluetooth mouse

9. Another Continuous Restart Issue...

10. Continuous restart-Autockeck error msg

11. Continuous Auto REstart

12. Win xp and restart and restart and restart

13. Restart, restart, restart