CAN I ANSWER CALLS WHILE ON THE INTERNET?

CAN I ANSWER CALLS WHILE ON THE INTERNET?

Post by Sandra Har » Wed, 22 May 2002 11:58:00

I have heard that with XP, I can get incoming phone calls
while I am on the internet.  If I get a phone call, can I
pause the internet, take the call, and then resume my
internet connection?  Or is there any feature in XP where
I can identify an incoming telephone call while I am on
the internet?  Please someone help me!!!!

Post by Sandra Har » Wed, 22 May 2002 11:57:55

I have heard that with XP, I can get incoming phone calls
while I am on the internet.  If I get a phone call, can I
pause the internet, take the call, and then resume my
internet connection?  Or is there any feature in XP where
I can identify an incoming telephone call while I am on
the internet?  Please someone help me!!!!

CAN I ANSWER CALLS WHILE ON THE INTERNET?

Post by Jason Tsan » Wed, 22 May 2002 12:10:47

that is not a WinXP specific feature.

New V92 modems can support that feature (your ISP must have v92 capabilities too)
There are also various Internet Call Waiting features available from your telephone company.

--
Jason Tsang - Windows XP MVP - DTS & Associate Expert

Find out about the MS MVP Program -
http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/

Find out about the Windows XP Expert Zone -
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> I have heard that with XP, I can get incoming phone calls
> while I am on the internet.  If I get a phone call, can I
> pause the internet, take the call, and then resume my
> internet connection?  Or is there any feature in XP where
> I can identify an incoming telephone call while I am on
> the internet?  Please someone help me!!!!

CAN I ANSWER CALLS WHILE ON THE INTERNET?

Post by Matt Werne » Wed, 22 May 2002 14:46:42

See if your phone company offers ISDN which allows up to 2 phone lines that
can switch back and forth between the Internet and voice calls as needed.
Better yet, get DSL which doesn't interfere with phone usage.

Quote:> I have heard that with XP, I can get incoming phone calls
> while I am on the internet.  If I get a phone call, can I
> pause the internet, take the call, and then resume my
> internet connection?  Or is there any feature in XP where
> I can identify an incoming telephone call while I am on
> the internet?  Please someone help me!!!!

CAN I ANSWER CALLS WHILE ON THE INTERNET?

Post by Clayto » Wed, 22 May 2002 15:27:51

Or you can have the option I have is to have your landline divert to your mobile when busy

  See if your phone company offers ISDN which allows up to 2 phone lines that
  can switch back and forth between the Internet and voice calls as needed.
  Better yet, get DSL which doesn't interfere with phone usage.

  > I have heard that with XP, I can get incoming phone calls
  > while I am on the internet.  If I get a phone call, can I
  > pause the internet, take the call, and then resume my
  > internet connection?  Or is there any feature in XP where
  > I can identify an incoming telephone call while I am on
  > the internet?  Please someone help me!!!!

CAN I ANSWER CALLS WHILE ON THE INTERNET?

Post by Tom » Wed, 22 May 2002 19:34:12

You need an ISP with V92 and a special piece of hardware ($50 at CompUSA) to alert you of phone calls.  Generally you will only have seconds to answer and decided to talk or compute.  You also need call-waiting.  Don't know of anyone who has done it yet.
Tom

  Or you can have the option I have is to have your landline divert to your mobile when busy

    See if your phone company offers ISDN which allows up to 2 phone lines that
    can switch back and forth between the Internet and voice calls as needed.
    Better yet, get DSL which doesn't interfere with phone usage.

    > I have heard that with XP, I can get incoming phone calls
    > while I am on the internet.  If I get a phone call, can I
    > pause the internet, take the call, and then resume my
    > internet connection?  Or is there any feature in XP where
    > I can identify an incoming telephone call while I am on
    > the internet?  Please someone help me!!!!

CAN I ANSWER CALLS WHILE ON THE INTERNET?

Post by Steve B » Wed, 22 May 2002 20:47:25

Both Actiontec and Zoom manufacture "Call Waiting" modems.  Allow you to
take a quick call without breaking your internet connection or bump you off
completely to let you take the call.  Good for cheapskates like me with only
one phone line.  I have the Actiontec.  Another solution is a call-waiting
box installed in the phone line.  Hardware device, works with all OS's.  See
http://www.56k.com/reports/callwait.shtml

Steve

You need an ISP with V92 and a special piece of hardware ($50 at CompUSA) to
alert you of phone calls.  Generally you will only have seconds to answer
and decided to talk or compute.  You also need call-waiting.  Don't know of
anyone who has done it yet.
Tom

  Or you can have the option I have is to have your landline divert to your
mobile when busy

    See if your phone company offers ISDN which allows up to 2 phone lines
that
    can switch back and forth between the Internet and voice calls as
needed.
    Better yet, get DSL which doesn't interfere with phone usage.

    > I have heard that with XP, I can get incoming phone calls
    > while I am on the internet.  If I get a phone call, can I
    > pause the internet, take the call, and then resume my
    > internet connection?  Or is there any feature in XP where
    > I can identify an incoming telephone call while I am on
    > the internet?  Please someone help me!!!!

CAN I ANSWER CALLS WHILE ON THE INTERNET?

Post by mike » Wed, 22 May 2002 22:52:36

not sure where you are located but if you had Bell South as your ISP they offer that service for $4.95 per month. on screen notice and the ability to pick up the call.
check with your phone company or ISP.

  I have heard that with XP, I can get incoming phone calls
  while I am on the internet.  If I get a phone call, can I
  pause the internet, take the call, and then resume my
  internet connection?  Or is there any feature in XP where
  I can identify an incoming telephone call while I am on
  the internet?  Please someone help me!!!!

  ---

CAN I ANSWER CALLS WHILE ON THE INTERNET?

Post by ARNOLD SOLOMO » Thu, 23 May 2002 00:47:53

You can purchase a gadget ($49.95) at Radio Shack or CompUSA that does
what you want. It notifies you of a call while on the internet. However,
when you answer the call you are disconnected from the internet and must
redial to resume your connection where you left off. I have it and it
works great.

1. answering incoming calls when on internet

We are inquiring about how to answer incoming calls.  And
when we can get a pop-up when there is a call.  Calls
coming in are on the task we are wanting this informatin
to be on middle of the screen so we can answer.
Sometimes we don't know we have a incoming call.

2. which is faster?

3. Internet Call Answering

4. Memory Limit per process

5. Smart Answer Machine Program That Can Make Phone Calls

6. need to reinstall modem after every reboot

7. Modem tries to answer incoming calls

8. Windows 3.1 memory manager

9. No. of rings to answer call

10. use winxp as a telephone set to make and answer phone calls

11. when i call for aid and they answer in india

12. incoming calls connection doesn't answer

13. Automatic answer incoming call