Windows thinks CD-ROM drive is hard drive

Windows thinks CD-ROM drive is hard drive

Post by gensu » Sat, 22 Apr 2006 01:20:02

I have 2 had drives on my primary IDE bus, and 2 optical storage drives on my
secondary IDE bus.  Both pairs have a designated master and slave.  The bios
recognizes each device correctly.  Windows device manager shows the hard
drives under Disk Drives and the optical drives under DVD/CD-ROM Drives.

The issue is that Windows Explorer lists the CD-ROM drives under Hard Drives
and the LOW DISK SPACE warning bubble pops up (when a CD is inserted).

Help!

Windows thinks CD-ROM drive is hard drive

Post by gensu » Sat, 22 Apr 2006 04:50:02

More information I have found:

When Windows starts with no CD-ROM in the drives, Explorer lists the optical
drives as a CD Drive under Drives with Removable Storage.  When a CD is
inserted, the drive icon moves under Hard Disk Drives and is listed as a
Local Disk.

In all other respects, it appears that Windows is identifying the optical
drives as such. I have noted that Autoplay does not seem to work and as
stated, the low disk space warning pops up (because it thinks it is a hard
drive). I have found no registry entries that seem out of place.

I did try to perform a system restore to an earlier date. System restore
fails to make changes no mater what date I select.

I don't want to reinstall Windows so pleeeese help.