Remote control questions.....

Post by Ian Livese » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 18:50:36

.... please feel free to point me to a faq or website - as I am sure been
covered about 100 times before.

Got laptop with XP Home and desktop with XP Pro - connected directly via LAN
(cable)

Would like to be able to take control of each other machine ie. desk --> lap
and  lap --> desk.   I would also like to be able to take control of desktop
via laptop over the internet.

Anyone talk me thru setting this up - - obviously need to ensure that all
secure to outside access?

Cheers.

Remote control questions.....

Post by Adam Leible » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 19:14:17

There's a decent tutorial on the about.com network at:

http://windows.about.com/library/weekly/aa020526a.htm

They cover all the basics of Remote Desktop under WinXP.
In addition, Microsoft has an extensive Focus On web site
covering the Remote Desktop at the WinXP Expert Zone:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/focuson/remot
edesktop.asp

Its columns and articles address many of your topics
exactly and in detail.

Good Luck.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>..... please feel free to point me to a faq or website -
as I am sure been
>covered about 100 times before.

>Got laptop with XP Home and desktop with XP Pro -

connected directly via LAN
Quote:>(cable)

>Would like to be able to take control of each other

machine ie. desk --> lap
>and  lap --> desk.   I would also like to be able to take
control of desktop
>via laptop over the internet.

>Anyone talk me thru setting this up - - obviously need to
ensure that all
>secure to outside access?

>Cheers.

>--
01/07/2002

>.

Remote control questions.....

Post by Beck » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 20:12:12

Quote:> .... please feel free to point me to a faq or website - as I am sure been
> covered about 100 times before.

> Got laptop with XP Home and desktop with XP Pro - connected directly via
LAN
> (cable)

> Would like to be able to take control of each other machine ie. desk -->
lap
> and  lap --> desk.   I would also like to be able to take control of
desktop
> via laptop over the internet.

> Anyone talk me thru setting this up - - obviously need to ensure that all
> secure to outside access?

I dont know much about remote desktop, but I am pretty sure it doesnt come
with xp home.
I may be wrong though

Beck

Remote control questions.....

Post by Bob » Tue, 09 Jul 2002 05:46:59

On Sun, 7 Jul 2002 09:50:36 +0000 (UTC), "Ian Livesey"

>.... please feel free to point me to a faq or website - as I am sure been
>covered about 100 times before.

>Got laptop with XP Home and desktop with XP Pro - connected directly via LAN
>(cable)

>Would like to be able to take control of each other machine ie. desk --> lap
>and  lap --> desk.   I would also like to be able to take control of desktop
>via laptop over the internet.

>Anyone talk me thru setting this up - - obviously need to ensure that all
>secure to outside access?

The remote desktop feature is included with the Win XP Pro but not the
XP Home version.  You can control the desktop from your laptop but not
vice versa.  You would have to upgrade the laptop to XP Pro to be able
to go both ways.

Security is a separate and HUGE issue.  For the best security with the
best flexibility I recommend WinRoute Pro from www.kerio.com.  You may
get by with something simpler, such as ZoneAlarm from ZoneLabs or
Kerio Personal Firewall, it depends on your needs.

I recommend visiting the sites that another poster provided for the
basic setup instructions after investigating the security issues with
doing something like this.  This feature was designed for corporate IT
to remotely manage corporate PCs that exist behind their firewall.
After looking at all the security issues, you may decide to use a
third party application like PcAnywhere from Symantec or one of it's
competitors instead of the built in remote desktop.

Personally, I like the remote desktop feature that Microsoft added to
XP Pro, but it was not designed with all the security in mind that
would be necessary for a client on the open internet.

Bob T.