Pop-ups

Post by Mrs. » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 12:33:29

I keep getting windows messenger pop-ups. How do I make
them stop?

Pop-ups

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 16:34:21

Greetings,

Do these "pop-ups" that are appearing have "Messenger Service" in their titlebar? If so, what
you're seeing is the Messenger service built-in to Windows, *not* Windows Messenger (which
are two different things) which spammers are exploiting -- this is not Microsoft, nor can
Microsoft control them anymore then they can control spam to your e-mail inbox.

To get rid of these pop ups,  you'll need to disable the "Messenger Service", click Start,
then Run, enter "services.msc"and click OK. Scroll down to "Messenger", select it,
right-click and then choose Properties.  Under startup type, choose 'Disabled' and then
choose the 'Stop' button. After the service is stopped, click OK.  Nothing in Windows or any
real third-party applications should be effected by this.
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

Quote:> I keep getting windows messenger pop-ups. How do I make
> them stop?

Pop-ups

Post by Amethys » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 02:38:39

> Greetings,

> Do these "pop-ups" that are appearing have "Messenger Service" in their
> titlebar? If so, what you're seeing is the Messenger service built-in to
> Windows, *not* Windows Messenger (which are two different things) which
> spammers are exploiting -- this is not Microsoft, nor can Microsoft
control
> them anymore then they can control spam to your e-mail inbox.

> To get rid of these pop ups,  you'll need to disable the "Messenger
Service",
> click Start, then Run, enter "services.msc"and click OK. Scroll down to
> "Messenger", select it, right-click and then choose Properties.  Under
> startup type, choose 'Disabled' and then choose the 'Stop' button. After
the
> service is stopped, click OK.  Nothing in Windows or any real third-party
> applications should be effected by this.
> Jonathan Kay
> Windows MVP, Messenger
> Associate Expert

>> I keep getting windows messenger pop-ups. How do I make
>> them stop?

I tell you what you /DON'T/ do - follow Jonathan's advice. The /correct/ way
to eliminate this nuisance is below: -

The ports in question (137-139) are also used for more nefarious purposes
(trojans use them to 'phone home'). The only effective way (despite what Mr
Kay will tell you) is to install a firewall. The native
one will work at a pinch, though it only works one way (incoming not
outgoing). Disabling the service is like sweeping bills under the carpet -
you can't see them anymore but, if you don't deal with them the consequences
could be serious.

Install a firewall, configure it to block those ports, and rest, safe in the
knowledge that nothing can attack your computer.

--
Cassandra
Card carrying member of the Fresh Start Club 'The Undead Are People Too!'

Reply address is fake. Please send all praise, abuse, insults, bequests
of 1million to cassandra (at) craigy34 (dot) freeserve (dot) co (dot)
uk. Change the obvious to the obvious.
Private requests for assistance will not be acknowledged. Please post all
correspondence to the group so that all may benefit. Thank you.

1. Pop-ups, Pop-ups, Pop-ups EVERYWHERE .. arghhh

Is my pc infected or am I going mad here?
I get pop ups on 90% of websites that I open.
Yahoo, MSN, Ebay.... etc etc etc ..
I usually get that ad pop-up for the little investigative camera ...
And it only happens when I open a new window. Upon opening Yahoo, for
example, another smaller window pops up with an add...
Does anyone else get this? How is this fixable without installing any Pop up
removal software? I am willing to re-format if needed.
Thanks
gino

2. No Video after switching Service Provider

3. error no. 80040200

4. The pop-ups the maddening pop-ups!!!

5. Netware ESR crashes Windows when calling IPXListenForPacket

6. Pop-ups and Messanger Pop-ups

7. WMP 7 vs Sound Quality

8. Stopping pop-ups in Windows Media Player

9. MP7 radio question (re pop-ups)

10. Media Payer pop-ups

11. popups, pop-ups, sub windows, sub-windows are not working IE6 SP1

12. IE 6 hangs w/new pop-ups