XP won't boot

Post by Claud Brow » Wed, 29 May 2002 08:07:13

When I installed XP, I ended up with a dual boot system. One was XP and the
other MS DOS. I guess I ended up with DOS because I formated the hard drive
before I installed XP. Didn't seem to be causing any problems, so I left it.
Besides I didn't know how to remove. My system crashed (been having problems
with DVD). Now, I can only boot to DOS. Anyone know how to fix this. Can't
boot in SAFE mode.

Claud

XP won't boot

Post by John Barnett - MV » Wed, 29 May 2002 08:40:47

Claud, simply reformatting your hard drive would not cause
you to have a dual boot system with DOS. Besides with a
dual boot you would have a choice menu appear. You do not
mention this, so i assume you do not have the menu.
By formatting i assume you inserted a Windows 95/95/Me
startup disk into your floppy drive and typed format c: at
the 'A' prompt? If this is what you have done then you
have used the correct method. I have to admit i'm at a
loss to konw how you arrived with both DOS and XP on the
system - unless, of course, you installed DOS from an
older version of Windows floppies?
I don't think you are really going to be able to do much
with the way your system is currently setup. You could try
locating the Winnt file using the DOS commands but you
would need to do this everytime you booted up - and to be
honest it would be a pain anyway.
The only suggestion i can make is to reinstall XP. Make
sure your PC is capable of booting from the CD. Put the CD
into the CD ROM and then reboot your machine. You will
have the opportunity, during setup, to select the
partition. Now if you have DOS then you have somehow
created two partitions on your PC. When setup gets to
selecting a partition i suggested you delete both
partitions and then simply reformat the single partition.
Just follow the instucrions on screen to both delete
partitions and reformat. After reformatting the setup
program will continue and XP should be installed
successfully.
If you need to get in touch with me, please contact me at
the email address above.

Hope this helps

John Barnett - MS MVP
Associate Expert

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>When I installed XP, I ended up with a dual boot system.
One was XP and the
>other MS DOS. I guess I ended up with DOS because I

formated the hard drive
Quote:>before I installed XP. Didn't seem to be causing any

problems, so I left it.
Quote:>Besides I didn't know how to remove. My system crashed

(been having problems
Quote:>with DVD). Now, I can only boot to DOS. Anyone know how
to fix this. Can't
>boot in SAFE mode.

>Claud

>.

1. Installed old xp boot drive in new system--XP won't boot!!!

I just took a HD drive from my old system and installed it in my new
system. It was my boot drive in the old system. It is NTSF and XP ran
fine. Now it won't boot...in fact, when i boot off the win xp cd it
isn't even recognized.

Any suggestions? Need the data on it!
Belgarath? ---===>
A little help from an Old Wolf ;-)

2. Viewing full email address in header

3. Dual boot Win2k/XP: XP won't boot.

4. xp pro HDD reconition incontrol panel

5. ME Boot Disk Won't Boot Up System Under XP

6. dvd decoders

7. Installed XP to dual boot with existing 98 but 98 won't boot now

8. HELP!!!

9. win xp won't boot up

10. Win XP Home Edition Won't boot up

11. Win XP won' boot keeps cyling to Safe Mode window

12. Win XP won't boot up

13. Help New Win XP Won't Boot (Either Video Card or Monitor)