How to remove invalid items in Control Panel's "Add or Remove Programs"

How to remove invalid items in Control Panel's "Add or Remove Programs"

Post by John Butle » Tue, 13 May 2003 15:42:10

I have some invalid items [relating to applications that have been removed] showing in
Control Panel's "Add or Remove Programs".

One used to be able to remove these using TweakUI but my version for XP does not have this feature.

Does any one know how to this by using Regedit or some registry tweaking software?

--
John Butler

How to remove invalid items in Control Panel's "Add or Remove Programs"

Post by GranSalsero » Tue, 13 May 2003 16:58:08

You can go into Windows Explorer and find all the *.cpl
files in the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder and determine
which ones are no longer appropo then delete or RENAME and
give the extension some other alpha designation.  RENAMING
is preferable over deleting.  If you rename the wrong ones
you can then go back and rename back to the correct
extension.

If you delete the wrong ones don't come crying back to me.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I have some invalid items [relating to applications that

have been removed] showing in
Quote:>Control Panel's "Add or Remove Programs".

>One used to be able to remove these using TweakUI but my

version for XP does not have this feature.
Quote:

>Does any one know how to this by using Regedit or some

registry tweaking software?
Quote:

>--
>John Butler
>.

How to remove invalid items in Control Panel's "Add or Remove Programs"

Post by purplehaz0 » Tue, 13 May 2003 17:10:53

Deleting .cpl files does not remove orphan entries from the add/remove
programs area. .cpl files are the control panel extensions, the icons in
control panel. He does not want to delete those, he wants to remove old
entries from the add/remove programs applet. What you have described to do
can cause some major probs with windows. Please read the question more
carefully next time before posting the wrong answer that can be potentially
fatal to the op's windows installation.

Quote:> You can go into Windows Explorer and find all the *.cpl
> files in the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder and determine
> which ones are no longer appropo then delete or RENAME and
> give the extension some other alpha designation.  RENAMING
> is preferable over deleting.  If you rename the wrong ones
> you can then go back and rename back to the correct
> extension.

> If you delete the wrong ones don't come crying back to me.

Post by purplehaz0 » Tue, 13 May 2003 17:17:54

First try going into add/remove, click on the left over entry and choose
remove/uninstall. XP should see it's not there anymore and remove it. If it
does not then goto: start, type in regedit, hit enter.
Navigate to this key:
hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\uninstall
Expand the key to see it's sub folders, then delete the ones you don't need.
(you can export them before delete to be safe if you want).

I have some invalid items [relating to applications that have been removed]
showing in
Control Panel's "Add or Remove Programs".

One used to be able to remove these using TweakUI but my version for XP does
not have this feature.

Does any one know how to this by using Regedit or some registry tweaking
software?

--
John Butler

How to remove invalid items in Control Panel's "Add or Remove Programs"

Post by John Butle » Tue, 13 May 2003 19:40:43

Hi Purplehaz03

Thanks for your helpful message [the previous contribution about modifying tht ".cpl" files was wrong as you rightly said.

I found some of the stale entries in the unistall key as you suggested and seeing how they were written gave me the idea of searching the Registry for the exact string as "Data". This found the rest. [In the add\remove programs windows they were shown with little Icons like a disk+ a box.]

Looking at the keys in the Uninstall key there were may that had not name an appeared to be useless but I guess they do no harm?

Thanks again for your help.

--
John Butler

> First try going into add/remove, click on the left over entry and choose
> remove/uninstall. XP should see it's not there anymore and remove it. If it
> does not then goto: start, type in regedit, hit enter.
> Navigate to this key:
> hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\uninstall
> Expand the key to see it's sub folders, then delete the ones you don't need.
> (you can export them before delete to be safe if you want).

> I have some invalid items [relating to applications that have been removed]
> showing in
> Control Panel's "Add or Remove Programs".

> One used to be able to remove these using TweakUI but my version for XP does
> not have this feature.

> Does any one know how to this by using Regedit or some registry tweaking
> software?

> --
> John Butler

How to remove invalid items in Control Panel's "Add or Remove Programs"

Post by Kell » Wed, 14 May 2003 10:09:20

Hi John,

Troubleshooting/Cleaning Add and Remove
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#addremove

--
All the Best,
Kelly

MS-MVP Win98/XP [AE-Windows? XP]
Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

I have some invalid items [relating to applications that have been removed]
showing in
Control Panel's "Add or Remove Programs".

One used to be able to remove these using TweakUI but my version for XP does
not have this feature.

Does any one know how to this by using Regedit or some registry tweaking
software?

--
John Butler

How to remove invalid items in Control Panel's "Add or Remove Programs"

Post by John Butle » Wed, 14 May 2003 13:05:29

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for your tips.

The problem in Windows XP [and 2000] is that Control Panel not only adds and removes programs, it also in many cases allows the user to change the program.

As I found out, this means that many programs are listed both in uninstall and install sections of the Registry so applications can appear in the add\remove programs section when they have been completely uninstalled if the author does not write a full uninstall log.

In my system such applications, as I now realise, are shown in the add\remove programs section by a special icon.

Probably you already know this but I thought I would post this, just in case it is useful to add your valuable data base.
--
John Butler

Post by Alex Nicho » Wed, 14 May 2003 16:51:22

>I have some invalid items [relating to applications that have been removed] showing in
>Control Panel's "Add or Remove Programs".

>One used to be able to remove these using TweakUI but my version for XP does not have this feature.

>Does any one know how to this by using Regedit or some registry tweaking software?

Even the old TweakUI has this disabled if run in XP.  The official line
(according to the author of TweakUI) is to try the remove - if it fails
you *ought* then to get an offer to remove it from the list.

If that does not work, use regedit.exe and at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
look for a sub-key named for the entry, or which shows it as 'Display
name in the right pane when highlighted, and delete the subkey.  Best to
highlight the Uninstall level and File - Export first, so you could put
things back if you needed to

--
Alex Nichol MS MVP (Windows - File Systems)

How to remove invalid items in Control Panel's "Add or Remove Programs"

Post by Kell » Thu, 15 May 2003 11:29:31

Thanks for your feedback, Tom.  It is greatly appreciated.