Installation Help!

Post by Kath » Mon, 03 Mar 2003 13:08:19

Yes, I am new to this! I am installing XP on a formatted
hard drive.  From DOS, I cannot read the d: drive which
is where the installation CD is.  Stuck at the beginning
of the process...and showing my ignorance...if you can
help, I'd appreciate it.

Installation Help!

Post by Doug Knox MS-MV » Mon, 03 Mar 2003 13:17:10

If your computer supports it, boot from the XP CD, rather than a boot floppy.  If you have to use a boot floppy, you need one with CD support.  www.bootdisk.com is a good source for downloadable files to create the appropriate boot disk. If using a boot disk, you'll need to run the command D:\I386\WINNT.EXE to start Windows XP setup.  You should also run SMARTDRV from the boot disk to speed the whole process up.

See your computer's manual for information on how to boot from CD.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows XP/ Windows Smart Display
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes

> Yes, I am new to this! I am installing XP on a formatted
> hard drive.  From DOS, I cannot read the d: drive which
> is where the installation CD is.  Stuck at the beginning
> of the process...and showing my ignorance...if you can
> help, I'd appreciate it.

Installation Help!

Post by Wade » Mon, 03 Mar 2003 13:37:06

You can either boot to CD or use the XP setup disk.  You
may have to change the boot sequence in the bios if you
want to boot to CD.  If you are getting confused I would
use the XP setup disk.  (I think it requires six floppies)

Check the following link.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-
us;q310994

Wade

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Yes, I am new to this! I am installing XP on a formatted
>hard drive.  From DOS, I cannot read the d: drive which
>is where the installation CD is.  Stuck at the beginning
>of the process...and showing my ignorance...if you can
>help, I'd appreciate it.
>.

1. Reveal multimedia FX installation help

More info on the above problems:
I am running Window 3.1 32S 1.2 version, the latest one can find.
The Reveal software is 6/1994, version 1.48 OEM version.  I wonder if anyone
can help me to find a more uptodate version of the software and that may solve
the problem.
Thanks

2. IE6 Windows

3. MediaPlayer 7.1 failed installation--Help

4. PM message?

5. QUICKTIME INSTALLATION HELP

7. SB16+Fugai E220-UA CD-ROM (the SB16-210 kit) - Installation help

8. Microsoft Encarta

9. sound card installation HELP!

10. IE 6.0 Un-installation help -- please

11. Installation Help for Internet Explorer 6.0

12. Scanner installation help

13. Error: Setup can't copy files during Windows XP installation, help please