System Restore will not creat restore point

System Restore will not creat restore point

Post by Charles Ragucc » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 23:28:39

I have Windows XP home full install, I just tried to
create a manual restore point before installing some new
drivers. The system restore comes back with cannot create
a restore point restart your computer and  run system
restore again. After rebooting system restore failed to
create another manual restore. Then it asked to restart
the computer again. It did not work again. The system
restore wont't creat aa restore point. Any thoughts?

Thank for any help
Charles

System Restore will not creat restore point

Post by Kayode Okeyod » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 23:51:46

You may have run out of disk space, System Restore will not function if disk space is too low; you may wish to purge some Restore
Points by reducing the Percentage of Disk Space currently used by System Restore; have a look here (scroll down to the
"Troubleshooting" section):

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore in Windows XP
http://microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/itcomm...

Troubleshooting System Restore in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q302796

--
Kayode Okeyode
My Windows Resource Page:

> I have Windows XP home full install, I just tried to
> create a manual restore point before installing some new
> drivers. The system restore comes back with cannot create
> a restore point restart your computer and  run system
> restore again. After rebooting system restore failed to
> create another manual restore. Then it asked to restart
> the computer again. It did not work again. The system
> restore wont't creat aa restore point. Any thoughts?

> Thank for any help
> Charles

System Restore will not creat restore point

Post by Kayode Okeyod » Wed, 04 Sep 2002 02:01:54

Alex

Thanks for the clarification, I meant exactly what you posted (except for the Disk Clean up bit).  I now realise my post could have
been misunderstand and I will try to make my meaning clearer in future posts.

--
Kayode Okeyode
My Windows Resource Page:
http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk/
http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk/favorites/kbasewinxp.htm

>You may have run out of disk space, System Restore will not function if disk space is too low; you may wish to purge some Restore
>Points by reducing the Percentage of Disk Space currently used by System Restore; have a look here (scroll down to the
>"Troubleshooting" section):

No - if the space has filled, making a point will push out old ones.
But other things *may* have crammed the available space for restore down
to less than the minimal 200MB, in which case Disk Cleanup is indicated.
Using Disk Clean up and its More Options choice to remove all restore
points except the latest may also free log jams caused by other things
than shortage of space
.

--
Alex Nichol MVP (DTS)

Check out:'How to make a good newsgroup post'at
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm