windows xp Home problem sharing files

Post by Jack Jord » Fri, 20 Dec 2002 07:13:58

I have 3 computers on a LAN with file sharing turned on and routing
through a Linksys router sharing a DSL connection.
Computer A has Windows XP Home
Computer B has Windows ME
Computer C has Windows XP Home

All 3 computers can see each other in the network places view.

A can share B's files but not C's files
B can share A's files but not C's files
C can share A and B's files.
All can access the internet through the DSL modem.  All are in the
same work group and have assigned IP addresses.

When A or B tries to access files on C, each gets the error
"Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type
at this computer.

\\CCCCC is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
network resource.  Contact the administrator of this server to find
out if you have access permissions."

I have tried every known angle to fix this problem and have come up
short.  I have noticed many other similar problems on different boards
with no solution.
It is almost as if C was set up as a server and not peer to peer???

Any help would be most appreciated.

windows xp Home problem sharing files

Post by MS-MVP WindowsX » Fri, 20 Dec 2002 10:32:38

Double click on My Computer on the PC C and right click on the hard drive.
Select Properties.  Look in the Sharing tab.  Have you remember to share the
hard drive of C?

Cari
www.coribright.com

Quote:> I have 3 computers on a LAN with file sharing turned on and routing

Post by Jack Jord » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 00:03:15

> Double click on My Computer on the PC C and right click on the hard drive.
> Select Properties.  Look in the Sharing tab.  Have you remember to share the
> hard drive of C?

> Cari
> www.coribright.com

> > I have 3 computers on a LAN with file sharing turned on and routing
> > through a Linksys router sharing a DSL connection.
> > Computer A has Windows XP Home
> > Computer B has Windows ME
> > Computer C has Windows XP Home

> > All 3 computers can see each other in the network places view.

> > A can share B's files but not C's files
> > B can share A's files but not C's files
> > C can share A and B's files.
> > All can access the internet through the DSL modem.  All are in the
> > same work group and have assigned IP addresses.

> > When A or B tries to access files on C, each gets the error
> > "Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type
> > at this computer.

> > \\CCCCC is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
> > network resource.  Contact the administrator of this server to find
> > out if you have access permissions."

> > I have tried every known angle to fix this problem and have come up
> > short.  I have noticed many other similar problems on different boards
> > with no solution.
> > It is almost as if C was set up as a server and not peer to peer???

> > Any help would be most appreciated.

Yes C is shared along with the other drives on the computer.  I
unshared everything including turning off file and print sharing for
the computer and turned it all back on again after restarts between
off and on.  All firewalls are turned off all computers and I have
followed the steps outlined in a couple of the websites dedicated to
networking setups.  It is like there is some magic switch somewhere
that need to be turned on..

1. XP Home and 98SE file sharing problem

I have successfully connected my two computers (one a new
XP Home machine, the other Win98SE) over my home LAN using
TCP/IP. I have setup full sharing to the "My Documents"
folders for each of the user accounts on the XP machine. I
can see these shares and read/write files from the 98SE
machine, BUT ONLY FOR FILES/FOLDERS DOWN TO A NESTING
LEVEL OF FOUR! Anything deaper than this gets an ACCESS
DENIED warning on the 98SE machine. I can access files and
folders to any depth in the "Shared Documents" folder.

Can anyone advise what's happening and how to fix it?
I did find that the sharing of the "My Documents" folders
only worked if it was the actual owner of the file that
created the share, but I think that I set that correctly
now.

2. Windows XP Pro restart problem

3. XP Home Edition - File Sharing Problems After MS Update

4. spam

5. File Sharing Problem in XP Home

6. Why cant I XP?

7. *XP home: File Sharing Problem*

8. MSN Messenger v5 and Windows Messenger v4.7

9. connecting XP Home OS with Windows ME and 98 network file sharing hub LAN connec

10. network file sharing on windows XP home Ed

11. How to share files between Win XP Pro and Win XP Home?

12. File Sharing: XP Home vs XP Pro?

13. Can't Access Windows XP Home Shared Printer from a Windows 2000 Machine