Sound stopped working

Post by Rene » Wed, 21 Jun 2006 15:53:01

My sound has been working just fine.  All of a sudden it stopped working.
Control Panel reports no audio devices, but device manager is showing I have
no problems with my driver.  Nonetheless, I removed the driver (RealTek High
Def Audio) and rebooted the machine.  It recognized my sound card and added
the driver back in.  I went in to Properties for the individual items and
made sure they were set to enabled.  Still Control Panel reports no audio
devices.
Based on internet searches, I double checked that the Audio service was
automatic and running (yep), that the PnP service was running (yep) and
showing up in the system section of Device Manager (yep).
I was using a headphone w/mic, and yes, it was plugged in properly.  I
double-and-triple checked it.  I also tried switching to my speakers instead.
 Still no dice.
I walked through the WinXP audio troubleshooter and checked everything it
said.

The only fishy thing I can see is that on the Properties page in the control
panel individual items, it says "Device is enabled but has not been started".
 Not sure what that means or how one is supposed to start it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!

Sound stopped working

Post by Malk » Wed, 21 Jun 2006 23:16:26

> My sound has been working just fine.  All of a sudden it stopped
> working. Control Panel reports no audio devices, but device manager is
> showing I have
> no problems with my driver.  Nonetheless, I removed the driver
> (RealTek High
> Def Audio) and rebooted the machine.  It recognized my sound card and
> added
> the driver back in.  I went in to Properties for the individual items
> and
> made sure they were set to enabled.  Still Control Panel reports no
> audio devices.
> Based on internet searches, I double checked that the Audio service
> was automatic and running (yep), that the PnP service was running
> (yep) and showing up in the system section of Device Manager (yep).
> I was using a headphone w/mic, and yes, it was plugged in properly.  I
> double-and-triple checked it.  I also tried switching to my speakers
> instead.
>  Still no dice.
> I walked through the WinXP audio troubleshooter and checked everything
> it said.

> The only fishy thing I can see is that on the Properties page in the
> control panel individual items, it says "Device is enabled but has not
> been started".
>  Not sure what that means or how one is supposed to start it.

Since your sound is apparently onboard, uninstall it and put in a PCI
sound card. Does that work? If so, you know the onboard sound component
has probably failed. You can get a basic PCI sound card for $5-20USD so
this is an inexpensive troubleshooting step.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Sound stopped working

Post by who m » Wed, 21 Jun 2006 23:57:13

Renee Wrote:

Quote:> My sound has been working just fine.  All of a sudden it stopped
> working.
> Control Panel reports no audio devices, but device manager is showing I
> have
> no problems with my driver.  Nonetheless, I removed the driver (RealTek
> High
> Def Audio) and rebooted the machine.  It recognized my sound card and
> added
> the driver back in.  I went in to Properties for the individual items
> and
> made sure they were set to enabled.  Still Control Panel reports no
> audio
> devices.
> Based on internet searches, I double checked that the Audio service
> was
> automatic and running (yep), that the PnP service was running (yep)
> and
> showing up in the system section of Device Manager (yep).
> I was using a headphone w/mic, and yes, it was plugged in properly.  I
> double-and-triple checked it.  I also tried switching to my speakers
> instead.
> Still no dice.
> I walked through the WinXP audio troubleshooter and checked everything
> it
> said.

> The only fishy thing I can see is that on the Properties page in the
> control
> panel individual items, it says "Device is enabled but has not been
> started".
> Not sure what that means or how one is supposed to start it.

> Does anyone have any suggestions?
> Thanks!

i quess you have checked a couple of small things like, the sound icon
in the system tray right click to be sure it is not muted which someone
else might have fiddled with and check the plug on the wall or the plug
in the surge protector strip.

--
who me

Sound stopped working

Post by Rene » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 04:19:02

I did a system restore back to Thurs (prior to the last Windows updates on
Fri).  That didn't appear to fix it but I didn't un-restore.

Even though my PnP service was showing under System in the Device Manager, I
decided to try the fix of reinstalling it.  I created a temp machine.inf,
deleted the line "ExcludeFromSelect=*"  from it, and then updated the PnP
driver using the temp .inf file.  Then I rebooted and re-enabled the sound
devices and it's working!

I hope it sticks...