Setup Problem - D:\I386\asms Incorrect Function

Setup Problem - D:\I386\asms Incorrect Function

Post by JustJo » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 22:52:14

Here's the deal.  New 60GB Wester Digital drive.

Booted XP Pro CD and formatted dive as NTFS.  Installation began, blue
screen portion proceeded fine.  System restarted and Setup continues.
Splash screen shows, then switches to setup.

When setup tries to gather hardware information I get the following
error.  (This is from memory, so it may ne be exact)

Error: D:\I386\asms   Incorrect Function

Fatal Error: One or more components needed for setup to continue could
not be loaded.

Error:  Incorrect Function.

My system info is below:

FIC AZ11 motherboard
Visiontex GeForce 2MX video card
SoundBlaster Live Value
WD Cavier 60GB HD
HP CDR/W  (Don't remember the exact model)

Any ideas?  I'm planning on upgrading the MB bios this evening to see
if that helps.  Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Setup Problem - D:\I386\asms Incorrect Function

Post by Care » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 22:56:29

"The File 'Asms' on Windows XP Professional CD-ROM Is Needed" Error Message When You
Install Windows XP (Q311755)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q311755

--
Carey Frisch (USA)

Post by JustJo » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 23:47:49

>"The File 'Asms' on Windows XP Professional CD-ROM Is Needed" Error Message When You
>Install Windows XP (Q311755)
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q311755

This mentions using SHIFT+F10 to access a command window.  Will that
work with no more installed than I have at this point?

Setup Problem - D:\I386\asms Incorrect Function

Post by Maurice » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 23:55:42

Having the latest released BIOS version (for the motherboard) is always
helpful.  And in fact, may be your key issue.  Be sure to check all your
hardware components --don't overlook modem, network cards, add-on disk
controllers, etc...-- for compatibility.  Lastly, keep a close watch on the
specific phase of install. That can give you a clue as to what may be going on.
There's about 6 phases if I remember half-way right. Yours failed on hardware
detection-setup; so it's likely a hardware issue.
Compatibility List Hardware Windows XP

http://www.microsoft.com/hcl/

Guide to upgrading (or new install) Win XP at Aumha.org
http://www.aumha.org/a/xpupgrad.htm
--
- -
Maurice N