Main HD wrong letter (E:) - Reformat HD?

Main HD wrong letter (E:) - Reformat HD?

Post by Yoma4 » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 07:37:43

I know you can change the drive letter of extra drives,
but if it's the one with the operating system on it
(WinXP), it won't let you. Well, I installed XP last
night and it named my harddrive E: for some reason. Now
some of my programs and utilities have been installing
kind of buggy and I've had a few other issues so I want
to change that drive to regular old C:.

I'm thinking the only way to do this is reformat.  I know
this sounds crazy, so before I push the button, anybody
got anything else to add?

Main HD wrong letter (E:) - Reformat HD?

Post by Old Hob » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 07:47:45

Partition Magic 8 will do this for you.  No need to reformat

Quote:> I know you can change the drive letter of extra drives,
> but if it's the one with the operating system on it
> (WinXP), it won't let you. Well, I installed XP last
> night and it named my harddrive E: for some reason. Now
> some of my programs and utilities have been installing
> kind of buggy and I've had a few other issues so I want
> to change that drive to regular old C:.

> I'm thinking the only way to do this is reformat.  I know
> this sounds crazy, so before I push the button, anybody
> got anything else to add?

Main HD wrong letter (E:) - Reformat HD?

Post by apri » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 07:54:27

i would suggest reinstalling the OS, as you said. if
there is away to change the hard drive letter, you then
have to worry about changing all shortcuts, etc. that are
already directed  to this drive. i also see this as a
problems with your apps, which associate themselves with
the c:drive in the registry. by changing the drive
letter, you're asking for more problems than you have now.

good luck
april

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I know you can change the drive letter of extra drives,
>but if it's the one with the operating system on it
>(WinXP), it won't let you. Well, I installed XP last
>night and it named my harddrive E: for some reason. Now
>some of my programs and utilities have been installing
>kind of buggy and I've had a few other issues so I want
>to change that drive to regular old C:.

>I'm thinking the only way to do this is reformat.  I
know
>this sounds crazy, so before I push the button, anybody
>got anything else to add?
>.

Main HD wrong letter (E:) - Reformat HD?

Post by mike » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 09:45:36

- Change Disk Drive Letters

First you must remember that you CANNOT change the letter for the

boot drive if it contains the PAGEFILE.SYS (swap file) and/HIBERFILE.SYS(hibernate file).

To move pagefile.sys use Control Panel | System | Advanced tab | Settings

under Performance | Advanced tab again | Virtual Memory and CHANGE

button. set the drive you want to move FROM to NO Paging File and click on SET.

set the drive you want to move TO and click SET.

to disable hiberfile.sys use Control Panel | Power Options Hibernate tab.

THEN

Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Computer Management | Disk

Management under Storage, then RIGHT click on the drive letter to change

and select the Change Letter option.

THEN following the first procedure set the PAGEFILE.SYS back to the

drive it was on originally.

XP automatically adjusts the registry for the drive letter changes.

  I know you can change the drive letter of extra drives,
  but if it's the one with the operating system on it
  (WinXP), it won't let you. Well, I installed XP last
  night and it named my harddrive E: for some reason. Now
  some of my programs and utilities have been installing
  kind of buggy and I've had a few other issues so I want
  to change that drive to regular old C:.

  I'm thinking the only way to do this is reformat.  I know
  this sounds crazy, so before I push the button, anybody
  got anything else to add?

  ---

Main HD wrong letter (E:) - Reformat HD?

Post by Yoma4 » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 11:47:30

Great responses!  This one was very helpful.  Thanks.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>- Change Disk Drive Letters

>First you must remember that you CANNOT change the
letter for the

>boot drive if it contains the PAGEFILE.SYS (swap file)

and/HIBERFILE.SYS(hibernate file).
Quote:

>To move pagefile.sys use Control Panel | System |

Advanced tab | Settings
Quote:

>under Performance | Advanced tab again | Virtual Memory
and CHANGE

>button. set the drive you want to move FROM to NO Paging

File and click on SET.
Quote:

>set the drive you want to move TO and click SET.

>to disable hiberfile.sys use Control Panel | Power

Options Hibernate tab.

>THEN

>Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Computer
Management | Disk

>Management under Storage, then RIGHT click on the drive
letter to change

>and select the Change Letter option.

>THEN following the first procedure set the PAGEFILE.SYS
back to the

>drive it was on originally.

>XP automatically adjusts the registry for the drive
letter changes.

Quote:>  I know you can change the drive letter of extra
drives,
>  but if it's the one with the operating system on it
>  (WinXP), it won't let you. Well, I installed XP last
>  night and it named my harddrive E: for some reason.
Now
>  some of my programs and utilities have been installing
>  kind of buggy and I've had a few other issues so I
want
>  to change that drive to regular old C:.

>  I'm thinking the only way to do this is reformat.  I
know
>  this sounds crazy, so before I push the button,
anybody
>  got anything else to add?

>  ---
>  Checked by AVG anti-virus system

(http://www.grisoft.com).
Quote:>  Version: 6.0.465 / Virus Database: 263 - Release Date:

3/25/2003

Main HD wrong letter (E:) - Reformat HD?

Post by mike » Mon, 31 Mar 2003 10:52:00

glad to help.

happy clicking

  Great responses!  This one was very helpful.  Thanks.

1. Changing HD designation letter on main drive?

Due to a oversite on my part my main HD that XP boots off of is listed as
f:.   How can I get this back to C:  I can not do it within XP since it is
the drive xp boots off of.  Theonly thing I can think of is to reformat the
drive and reinstall, but when I boot off of a floppy "format" will not see
the drive due to itbeing ntsf.

Any help?

Scott Calkins

2. dial up connection pops up everytime

3. Transfer email from old HD to new HD

4. Outlook HElp!!

5. Using a FAT32 HD and a NTFS HD together

6. Any questions???

7. New HD / old HD admin docs & settings

8. Viewing Thumbnails

9. copy HD to USB HD for back up

10. Transferring updates from old H.D. to new H.D.

11. Transferring o/s and files from old HD to new HD.

12. Moving Original WP Pro from 30 gig HD to a 120 gig HD?

13. 2nd HD (and D:) removed