Windows XP Upgrade from Windows ME?

Post by Robert Spik » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 11:24:38

I have a 2 year old computer with Windows ME.  Anybody who has used ME for
any length of time knows how unstable it is.  For the most part, I have been
happy.  But, there are times that it becomes very frustrating when the
system crashes unexpectedly.

I've seen Windows XP and have been pretty impressed with it.  The question
is . . . Should I make the upgrade, and if so, what's involved?  I am really
not interested in reformatting my entire Hard Drive to install a new OS.
Does XP run "on top" of ME?  If so, how does installing it "on top" make the
OS any more stable?  Also, is anybody aware of any major incompatibility
issues that I might run into?

I would appreciate any advice from anybody who has been through this.  Let
me know exactly which XP Upgrade Package to purchase and I might run over to
CompUSA this weekend to make the purchase.

Thanks, in advance, for any help!  Feel free to post here or reply directly

Thank you!

Windows XP Upgrade from Windows ME?

Post by Mike Kolit » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 11:44:15

Robert,
I've had nothing but good luck with Windows XP, and I certainly share your
distaste for Windows ME.  To be totally honest with you, I really wouldn't
recommend and upgrade of Windows XP "on top" of ME.  Upgrades are
traditionally less stable because of all of the "junk" left over from the
previous OS.  I've seen some upgrades work beautifully, so I'm not saying
that it never happens... I'm just saying that the bulk of my experience is
that clean installs are the way to go.

As far as compatibilities or incompatibilities, I'd check with the vendors
or your computer's hardware (scanner, digital camera, printer, and anything
else you have hooked up to your computer) to make sure that there are XP or
Windows 2000 drivers available.  You'll also want to download the Windows XP
Upgrade Advisor.  It will scan your computer system and report any issues
with hardware or software that you should be aware of before purchasing and
installing Windows XP.  You can get the Upgrade Advisor here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp

Good Luck!

--
mikey k
Mike Kolitz MCSE 2000

> I have a 2 year old computer with Windows ME.  Anybody who has used ME for
> any length of time knows how unstable it is.  For the most part, I have
been
> happy.  But, there are times that it becomes very frustrating when the
> system crashes unexpectedly.

> I've seen Windows XP and have been pretty impressed with it.  The question
> is . . . Should I make the upgrade, and if so, what's involved?  I am
really
> not interested in reformatting my entire Hard Drive to install a new OS.
> Does XP run "on top" of ME?  If so, how does installing it "on top" make
the
> OS any more stable?  Also, is anybody aware of any major incompatibility
> issues that I might run into?

> I would appreciate any advice from anybody who has been through this.  Let
> me know exactly which XP Upgrade Package to purchase and I might run over
> CompUSA this weekend to make the purchase.

> Thanks, in advance, for any help!  Feel free to post here or reply
directly

> Thank you!

Windows XP Upgrade from Windows ME?

Post by Care » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 11:48:11

Download and use the Windows XP Upgrade Advisor:

Description of the Windows XP Upgrade Advisor
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307726

When installing Windows XP, Microsoft strongly recommends a clean
installation
using NTFS. There are several reasons why performance for a clean
installation
will tend to be superior to that for upgraded systems. An upgraded system
will
constrain the placement of files and file system data. The old disk format
may
not use an optimal file system cluster size. In a clean installation, the
placement of file system data on the disk and the internal organization of
that
data can be optimized, resulting in a smaller system footprint and fewer and
faster I/Os when using the system.

Windows XP Clean Install
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

--
Carey Frisch
U.S.A.

Windows XP Upgrade from Windows ME?

Post by terri stratto » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 11:50:15

Hi, Robert,

I'm posting my favorite links for information regarding upgrade.  First and
most important is the Upgrade Advisor.  It will tell you if you have any
problems with hardware or software and XP.  If any conflicts show up, then
don't give up yet.  Check the hardware manufacturer's /software websites to
see if there are updates and/or patches available for XP.

UPGRADE ADVISOR -
http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/home/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp

Next, read Gary's great article on how to upgrade -

UPGRADE TO XP

http://www.aumha.org/a/xpupgrad.htm

If you decide to clean install, then the following is the way to do it.

CLEAN INSTALL

http://winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

Good luck, Robert.
--
Terri Stratton
Microsoft MVP -  Windows XP

> I have a 2 year old computer with Windows ME.  Anybody who has used ME for
> any length of time knows how unstable it is.  For the most part, I have
been
> happy.  But, there are times that it becomes very frustrating when the
> system crashes unexpectedly.

> I've seen Windows XP and have been pretty impressed with it.  The question
> is . . . Should I make the upgrade, and if so, what's involved?  I am
really
> not interested in reformatting my entire Hard Drive to install a new OS.
> Does XP run "on top" of ME?  If so, how does installing it "on top" make
the
> OS any more stable?  Also, is anybody aware of any major incompatibility
> issues that I might run into?

> I would appreciate any advice from anybody who has been through this.  Let
> me know exactly which XP Upgrade Package to purchase and I might run over
> CompUSA this weekend to make the purchase.

> Thanks, in advance, for any help!  Feel free to post here or reply
directly

> Thank you!

Windows XP Upgrade from Windows ME?

Post by Dumm » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 11:50:43

Windows ME can be upgraded to Windows XP.  I would recommend  a 500 MHz
computer with at least 128 MB of memory.
It will be more stable than ME you will not have the frequent BSODs but it
will be even more stable if you do a clean install.  By installing over top
your settings are saved but the system files are replaced with updated XP
files thus making it more stable.
For home use I would just get the home edition unless you do a lot of
networking and wish to set up a web or FTP site. This can also be done with
third party software if you decide to go with the home edition.
I found XP to be very good with plug and play and thus I did not have to
install many new drivers upon upgrading.
Good luck!

> I have a 2 year old computer with Windows ME.  Anybody who has used ME for
> any length of time knows how unstable it is.  For the most part, I have
been
> happy.  But, there are times that it becomes very frustrating when the
> system crashes unexpectedly.

> I've seen Windows XP and have been pretty impressed with it.  The question
> is . . . Should I make the upgrade, and if so, what's involved?  I am
really
> not interested in reformatting my entire Hard Drive to install a new OS.
> Does XP run "on top" of ME?  If so, how does installing it "on top" make
the
> OS any more stable?  Also, is anybody aware of any major incompatibility
> issues that I might run into?

> I would appreciate any advice from anybody who has been through this.  Let
> me know exactly which XP Upgrade Package to purchase and I might run over
> CompUSA this weekend to make the purchase.

> Thanks, in advance, for any help!  Feel free to post here or reply
directly

> Thank you!

Windows XP Upgrade from Windows ME?

Post by bill chatfiel » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 11:56:16

Robert,

I recently upgraded to XP Pro from ME. I followed the instructions at:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

It is a clean install required re-installing all other software, but I am
completely happy with the results.

The time spent getting all the drivers etc. beforehand is well worth the
effort.
I backed up "My Documents", "Favorites" and any other setting I thought I
might be able to use and then did the install. Everything works fine in XP
with the correct drivers installed.

Good Luck,
Bill Chatfield

[...]

Post by Robert Spik » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 11:52:21

Good advice, Mike . . .

How easy (or difficult) is it to do a "clean install"?  How long does it
take?  I imagine I would back-up all of my data, reformat the Hard Drive and
install XP.  Is this something I (a novice user) can do or would you
recommend taking it to a local computer store to have them do it?

> Robert,
> I've had nothing but good luck with Windows XP, and I certainly share your
> distaste for Windows ME.  To be totally honest with you, I really wouldn't
> recommend and upgrade of Windows XP "on top" of ME.  Upgrades are
> traditionally less stable because of all of the "junk" left over from the
> previous OS.  I've seen some upgrades work beautifully, so I'm not saying
> that it never happens... I'm just saying that the bulk of my experience is
> that clean installs are the way to go.

> As far as compatibilities or incompatibilities, I'd check with the vendors
> or your computer's hardware (scanner, digital camera, printer, and
anything
> else you have hooked up to your computer) to make sure that there are XP
or
> Windows 2000 drivers available.  You'll also want to download the Windows
XP
> Upgrade Advisor.  It will scan your computer system and report any issues
> with hardware or software that you should be aware of before purchasing
and
> installing Windows XP.  You can get the Upgrade Advisor here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp

> Good Luck!

> --
> mikey k
> Mike Kolitz MCSE 2000
> MS-MVP, Associate Expert - Windows XP

> > I have a 2 year old computer with Windows ME.  Anybody who has used ME
for
> > any length of time knows how unstable it is.  For the most part, I have
> been
> > happy.  But, there are times that it becomes very frustrating when the
> > system crashes unexpectedly.

> > I've seen Windows XP and have been pretty impressed with it.  The
question
> > is . . . Should I make the upgrade, and if so, what's involved?  I am
> really
> > not interested in reformatting my entire Hard Drive to install a new OS.
> > Does XP run "on top" of ME?  If so, how does installing it "on top" make
> the
> > OS any more stable?  Also, is anybody aware of any major incompatibility
> > issues that I might run into?

> > I would appreciate any advice from anybody who has been through this.
Let
> > me know exactly which XP Upgrade Package to purchase and I might run
over
> > CompUSA this weekend to make the purchase.

> > Thanks, in advance, for any help!  Feel free to post here or reply
> directly

> > Thank you!

Windows XP Upgrade from Windows ME?

Post by fran » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 12:10:18

So far Win98ME ahs been running very stable on my system and there had been
no crashes. I upgraded it over my Win98SE which was giving me all sorts of
problems from crashes to booting up into safe Mode for no apparent reason:
Could be because I deleted one file too many from the registry after
uninstalling shareware and freeware programs. Re-installing Win98SE did not
improve matters. Upgrading over 98SE to ME solved all problems! Lucky, huh.

> Robert,
> I've had nothing but good luck with Windows XP, and I certainly share your
> distaste for Windows ME.  To be totally honest with you, I really wouldn't
> recommend and upgrade of Windows XP "on top" of ME.  Upgrades are
> traditionally less stable because of all of the "junk" left over from the
> previous OS.  I've seen some upgrades work beautifully, so I'm not saying
> that it never happens... I'm just saying that the bulk of my experience is
> that clean installs are the way to go.

> As far as compatibilities or incompatibilities, I'd check with the vendors
> or your computer's hardware (scanner, digital camera, printer, and
anything
> else you have hooked up to your computer) to make sure that there are XP
or
> Windows 2000 drivers available.  You'll also want to download the Windows
XP
> Upgrade Advisor.  It will scan your computer system and report any issues
> with hardware or software that you should be aware of before purchasing
and
> installing Windows XP.  You can get the Upgrade Advisor here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp

> Good Luck!

> --
> mikey k
> Mike Kolitz MCSE 2000
> MS-MVP, Associate Expert - Windows XP

> > I have a 2 year old computer with Windows ME.  Anybody who has used ME
for
> > any length of time knows how unstable it is.  For the most part, I have
> been
> > happy.  But, there are times that it becomes very frustrating when the
> > system crashes unexpectedly.

> > I've seen Windows XP and have been pretty impressed with it.  The
question
> > is . . . Should I make the upgrade, and if so, what's involved?  I am
> really
> > not interested in reformatting my entire Hard Drive to install a new OS.
> > Does XP run "on top" of ME?  If so, how does installing it "on top" make
> the
> > OS any more stable?  Also, is anybody aware of any major incompatibility
> > issues that I might run into?

> > I would appreciate any advice from anybody who has been through this.
Let
> > me know exactly which XP Upgrade Package to purchase and I might run
over
> > CompUSA this weekend to make the purchase.

> > Thanks, in advance, for any help!  Feel free to post here or reply
> directly

> > Thank you!

Windows XP Upgrade from Windows ME?

Post by Michael Steven » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 12:10:17

Quote:> Good advice, Mike . . .

> How easy (or difficult) is it to do a "clean install"?  How long does it
> take?  I imagine I would back-up all of my data, reformat the Hard Drive
and
> install XP.  Is this something I (a novice user) can do or would you
> recommend taking it to a local computer store to have them do it?

Try the upgrade first, but make sure you check Gary Woodruff's upgrade
article first. Since the upgrade from Me almost completely replaces
everything from the Me installation, it is very close to a clean install.
http://www.aumha.org/a/xpupgrad.htm
If it works, you will save many hours of setting up and installing. If it
doesn't, do a clean install.
In any case, run the Files and Settings Transfer wizard from the XP CD and
backup everything you cannot replace from other media.
--

Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP

http://michaelstevenstech.com
http://mlstevens.net

> [...]

> question
> > > is . . . Should I make the upgrade, and if so, what's involved?  I am
> > really
> > > not interested in reformatting my entire Hard Drive to install a new
OS.
> > > Does XP run "on top" of ME?  If so, how does installing it "on top"
make
> > the
> > > OS any more stable?  Also, is anybody aware of any major
incompatibility
> > > issues that I might run into?

> > > I would appreciate any advice from anybody who has been through this.
> Let
> > > me know exactly which XP Upgrade Package to purchase and I might run
> over
> > > CompUSA this weekend to make the purchase.

> > > Thanks, in advance, for any help!  Feel free to post here or reply

Post by Kenneth Mille » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 12:21:20

Horse manure..I did an upgrade from ME to XP when it first came out with
no problems what so ever. If you run the Upgrade advisor and go by it's
recommendations, have or obtain as many upgraded drivers etc, read the
instructions, follow the instructions etc an upgrade can and does work
just fine and is quicker. Make sure you have a good backup of your ME
(What I did was use PM 7.01 and created a duplicate ME partition, then
hid my original ME partition and used the duplication to be upgraded to
XP.. Worked like a charm and have been running great ever since. The
only problem I had was finding some XP drivers for my 3COM camera,
getting my H-P 5P scanner to work, and get my H-P Deskjet 722C printer
to be able to use all of it's original capabilities. A little looking
around the web, here and other places I was able to get them running
fine under XP. After I did the upgrade I looked at my Windows
directories and the upgrade had pretty much got rid of almost all the
original stuff that was in them with the exception of something's that I
had put there.Besides if the upgrade route doesn't work you can always
do a clean install

I think most of the problems that I see people having installing XP is
just plain not following the instructions or not being able to
understand them and perhaps the greatest screwup of all rushing ahead
full steam to install it without thinking things out.

I have gone the  update route from an clean install of Windows98 to an
upgrade install of Windows 98 SE to an upgrade install of Windows ME to
now an upgrade install of Windows XP Home. The upgrade procedures do
work if you just take your time to sit down and read instructions and
follow them along with a little common sense thrown in ( like backing up
you original installation just in case ) etc.

Sorry for the long message just had to say my piece about upgrading
verse clean when the upgrade option is available.

Ken Miller

Quote:> Download and use the Windows XP Upgrade Advisor:

> Description of the Windows XP Upgrade Advisor
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307726

> When installing Windows XP, Microsoft strongly recommends a clean
> installation
> using NTFS. There are several reasons why performance for a clean
> installation
> will tend to be superior to that for upgraded systems. An upgraded
system
> will
> constrain the placement of files and file system data. The old disk
format
> may
> not use an optimal file system cluster size. In a clean installation,
the
> placement of file system data on the disk and the internal
organization of
> that
> data can be optimized, resulting in a smaller system footprint and
fewer and
> faster I/Os when using the system.

> Windows XP Clean Install
> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

> --
> Carey Frisch
> U.S.A.

Windows XP Upgrade from Windows ME?

Post by Michael Steven » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 12:27:46

Quote:> Horse manure..I did an upgrade from ME to XP when it first came out with
> no problems what so ever. If you run the Upgrade advisor and go by it's
> recommendations, have or obtain as many upgraded drivers etc, read the
> instructions, follow the instructions etc an upgrade can and does work
> just fine and is quicker. Make sure you have a good backup of your ME
> (What I did was use PM 7.01 and created a duplicate ME partition, then
> hid my original ME partition and used the duplication to be upgraded to
> XP.. Worked like a charm and have been running great ever since. The
> only problem I had was finding some XP drivers for my 3COM camera,
> getting my H-P 5P scanner to work, and get my H-P Deskjet 722C printer
> to be able to use all of it's original capabilities. A little looking
> around the web, here and other places I was able to get them running
> fine under XP. After I did the upgrade I looked at my Windows
> directories and the upgrade had pretty much got rid of almost all the
> original stuff that was in them with the exception of something's that I
> had put there.Besides if the upgrade route doesn't work you can always
> do a clean install

> I think most of the problems that I see people having installing XP is
> just plain not following the instructions or not being able to
> understand them and perhaps the greatest screwup of all rushing ahead
> full steam to install it without thinking things out.

> I have gone the  update route from an clean install of Windows98 to an
> upgrade install of Windows 98 SE to an upgrade install of Windows ME to
> now an upgrade install of Windows XP Home. The upgrade procedures do
> work if you just take your time to sit down and read instructions and
> follow them along with a little common sense thrown in ( like backing up
> you original installation just in case ) etc.

> Sorry for the long message just had to say my piece about upgrading
> verse clean when the upgrade option is available.

> Ken Miller

Couldn't agree more, and an excellent reply.
--

Post by Michael Steven » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 12:36:34

Quote:> Download and use the Windows XP Upgrade Advisor:

> Description of the Windows XP Upgrade Advisor
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307726

> When installing Windows XP, Microsoft strongly recommends a clean
> installation
> using NTFS.

Where does MS 'strongly' recommend a clean install?

Quote:> There are several reasons why performance for a clean
> installation
> will tend to be superior to that for upgraded systems. An upgraded system
> will
> constrain the placement of files and file system data.

Not true, XP almost completely removes a previous 98/Me installation. It
leaves the configuration settings and registry settings for installed
programs but little else. The result is close to a clean install.

The old disk format

Quote:> may
> not use an optimal file system cluster size.

This is true, but with BootIT NG [an inexpensive partitioning disk utility]
the partitioin can be aligned for proper 4k conversion.

--

Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP

http://michaelstevenstech.com
http://mlstevens.net

Windows XP Upgrade from Windows ME?

Post by Care » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 12:38:16

Someone as meticulous as you should indeed have success upgrading to Windows XP.
However, that are others who do not prepare and rush through the procedure.
As a result, the upgrade does not perform as it was intended and leaves the user
dissatisfied.  I have performed upgrades over Windows 98/ME/2000 with excellent
results.  On my computer, a subsequent "clean install", on a newly formatted
NTFS drive, produced the best overall performance.

--
Carey Frisch
U.S.A.

Windows XP Upgrade from Windows ME?

Post by Galle » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 13:30:38

forth these words of wisdom:

>I have a 2 year old computer with Windows ME.  Anybody who has used ME for
>any length of time knows how unstable it is.  For the most part, I have been
>happy.  But, there are times that it becomes very frustrating when the
>system crashes unexpectedly.

>I've seen Windows XP and have been pretty impressed with it.  The question
>is . . . Should I make the upgrade, and if so, what's involved?  I am really
>not interested in reformatting my entire Hard Drive to install a new OS.
>Does XP run "on top" of ME?  If so, how does installing it "on top" make the
>OS any more stable?  Also, is anybody aware of any major incompatibility
>issues that I might run into?

>I would appreciate any advice from anybody who has been through this.  Let
>me know exactly which XP Upgrade Package to purchase and I might run over to
>CompUSA this weekend to make the purchase.

>Thanks, in advance, for any help!  Feel free to post here or reply directly

>Thank you!

Your best bet is to ALWAYS do a fresh install.  I know, that means an entire day
off is shot, but you'll be better off in the long run.  The upgrade from Me to
XP has been known to have some "issues".

--
"Life is what you experience between racing games"
Galley

Windows XP Upgrade from Windows ME?

Post by Michael Steven » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 13:41:36

spewed
> forth these words of wisdom:

> >I have a 2 year old computer with Windows ME.  Anybody who has used ME
for
> >any length of time knows how unstable it is.  For the most part, I have
been
> >happy.  But, there are times that it becomes very frustrating when the
> >system crashes unexpectedly.

> >I've seen Windows XP and have been pretty impressed with it.  The
question
> >is . . . Should I make the upgrade, and if so, what's involved?  I am
really
> >not interested in reformatting my entire Hard Drive to install a new OS.
> >Does XP run "on top" of ME?  If so, how does installing it "on top" make
the
> >OS any more stable?  Also, is anybody aware of any major incompatibility
> >issues that I might run into?

> >I would appreciate any advice from anybody who has been through this.
Let
> >me know exactly which XP Upgrade Package to purchase and I might run over
> >CompUSA this weekend to make the purchase.

> >Thanks, in advance, for any help!  Feel free to post here or reply
directly

> >Thank you!

> Your best bet is to ALWAYS do a fresh install.  I know, that means an
entire day
> off is shot, but you'll be better off in the long run.  The upgrade from
Me to
> XP has been known to have some "issues".

Curious, what are those issues?
BTW, this is a real question? I would like to pass them along.
--

Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP

http://michaelstevenstech.com
http://mlstevens.net

1. Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade vs Windows XP Professional Upgrade

Vicki

See the following articles.

Windows XP Comparison Guide
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

Which Edition Is Right for You
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

Windows XP Home Edition vs. Professional Edition
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp
--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

MVP Website:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

DTS-L.ORG Web Site:
http://www.dts-l.org/index.html

2. .DLL File Question?

3. Windows XP Home Upgrade from Windows ME - no sound since upgrading

4. Time Lost

5. Upgrading to Windows XP Professional from Windows 2000 Professional Upgrade on Sony Vaio PCG-430

6. How to handle hardware keys in my application

7. Cannot login Windows 2000 After Upgraded Windows XP from Windows 98SE

8. Dell Latitude & WinXP Pro - Shutdowns

9. Upgrading Windows XP Home to Windows XP Prof

10. upgrading windows xp home to windows xp professional

11. Upgrading from Windows XP Home Edition to Windows XP Professional

12. Can I upgrade from Windows XP Home to Windows XP Professional

13. Upgrading from Microsoft Windows XP Home to Microsoft Windows XP Professional