setting up a network traffic counter

Post by Teodor Leont » Fri, 03 Jan 2003 14:43:31

Hi, everyone!

I own a tiny LAN that consists in two PS's: one runs WinXP Pro, the other
WinMe. The WinXP PC is connected to the internet by cable and has internet
connection sharing (ICS) enabled (for the second PC). I am considering
changing my internet connection subscription type to a cheaper one, that
offers a certain amount of traffic each month. In order to know which of the
subscriptions is the most economical for me, I need to know which is my
monthly internet traffic.

I see WinXP Pro has the possibility to track certain activities which go on
in the computer. I tried to set up a counter to measure the total traffic
through the NIC that connects to the internet cable, to no avail. I'm
totally lost at this point, so please tell me:

1. is it possible to use WinXP Pro internal resources to track my internet
traffic, or do I need another specialized program (if the latter, which
program would you recommend?)
2. if WinXP is able to track the traffic through a NIC, how should I set the
counter up, and how should I be able to read the results at the end of the
tracking time?

Any help is highly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,
Teo

1. setting up an internet traffic counter

[...]

2. Default location for saved attachments

3. Traffic counter over an Ethernet card

4. Dual Processor Question??

5. Counter Stike random lock-ups

6. ? about a voice recording system

7. Pop-ups, Pop-ups, Pop-ups EVERYWHERE .. arghhh

8. Program name beside tray

9. Setting Primary and Secondary PC set-ups for e-mail

10. beta testers wanted: JEO-Counter Win32 JPEG counter CGI

11. HELP: setting up TCPIP traffic between 2 net cards in WIN95 PC

12. M3U's won't display correctly and High Network traffic