Please help: Upgrade to XP pro (from home) gone bad, bad bad

Please help: Upgrade to XP pro (from home) gone bad, bad bad

Post by Nadi » Sun, 12 May 2002 14:22:09

I was upgrading from xp home to xp professional, and I
have no clue on what the heck happened.

Problems:
1. Rather than an upgrade, i have dual boot options (xp
pro and xp home)
2. when i go to xp pro, it goes to a blue screen and
shuts down. i attempt to re-upgrade, but it always shuts
down.  i don't get an error message or funky error
numbers.

when i go to xp home, things are screwed up.  i can't fix
my screen resolution to 1024 x (whatever).  its stuck on
800X600 and i can't barely see a thing.

i actually created a restore point prior to upgrading it,
and when i went to restore to that point, it was not
there.

i called microsoft support and they are conveniently not
there on a friday night...but i conveniently spend
hundreds of dollars on this upgrade that is an upgrade
from hell.

please...i need help :)
thanks
nadia

Please help: Upgrade to XP pro (from home) gone bad, bad bad

Post by Anilorak » Sun, 12 May 2002 15:49:37

I too had this problem, right after scan disk it quickly
shows a blue screen and then reboots and it just keeps
doing this... i took it into the shop and the guy said it
might be the motherboard or a virus that has defected some
of your windows xp files... also make sure your not using
a bootleg copy of windows xp... those usually are just
fake things that make your computer a living virus.
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I was upgrading from xp home to xp professional, and I
>have no clue on what the heck happened.

>Problems:
>1. Rather than an upgrade, i have dual boot options (xp
>pro and xp home)
>2. when i go to xp pro, it goes to a blue screen and
>shuts down. i attempt to re-upgrade, but it always shuts
>down.  i don't get an error message or funky error
>numbers.

>when i go to xp home, things are screwed up.  i can't fix
>my screen resolution to 1024 x (whatever).  its stuck on
>800X600 and i can't barely see a thing.

>i actually created a restore point prior to upgrading it,
>and when i went to restore to that point, it was not
>there.

>i called microsoft support and they are conveniently not
>there on a friday night...but i conveniently spend
>hundreds of dollars on this upgrade that is an upgrade
>from hell.

>please...i need help :)
>thanks
>nadia

>.

Please help: Upgrade to XP pro (from home) gone bad, bad bad

Post by Harry Ohr » Sun, 12 May 2002 16:09:16

It is likely that you will need to do a clean install of XP Pro as it appears you did not run the upgrade properly 8^(
--

Harry Ohrn - MS MVP (Windows XP)
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/

> I was upgrading from xp home to xp professional, and I
> have no clue on what the heck happened.

> Problems:
> 1. Rather than an upgrade, i have dual boot options (xp
> pro and xp home)
> 2. when i go to xp pro, it goes to a blue screen and
> shuts down. i attempt to re-upgrade, but it always shuts
> down.  i don't get an error message or funky error
> numbers.

> when i go to xp home, things are screwed up.  i can't fix
> my screen resolution to 1024 x (whatever).  its stuck on
> 800X600 and i can't barely see a thing.

> i actually created a restore point prior to upgrading it,
> and when i went to restore to that point, it was not
> there.

> i called microsoft support and they are conveniently not
> there on a friday night...but i conveniently spend
> hundreds of dollars on this upgrade that is an upgrade
> from hell.

> please...i need help :)
> thanks
> nadia

1. 811493 BAD BAD BAD

I hope some at MS reads this.

Update/patch/whatever 811493 screwed up my computer, causing IE to hang like
crazy and ctrl-alt-del to be unresponsive when it hangs.

I reformatted, reinstalled, same problem.  I removed this patch as it was
the second-newest and had something to do with error handling and debugging.

Problem solved.  Someone else here was having similar problems, I just
recommended he remove the patch to see what happens.  THERE IS SOMETHING
WRONG WITH THIS PATCH.

It's not even much of a security issue.  There was a way for someone to
remotely control your computer, but they had to first have local access.  So
if you keep people away from your PC, don't worry.  The guts of it have
something to do with errors and debugging, though so that sounds like a
pretty major cause of hangs and no response to ctrl-alt-del.

2. Unsafe attachment error message

3. Bad, Bad, Bad

4. CHANGE YOUR DATE DAVID SPICER.... Problems w/ roxio easy cd creator 5 platinum

5. Thinkpad A21M Windows XP Home upgrade gone bad....

6. best MCSE Study course

7. Sound/Video/Nic - SAME IRQ!!!!! BAD BAD HELP!

8. Windows 2000

9. WindowsXP Pro Upgrade Gone Bad!!

10. Bad bad codecs

11. bad, bad graphics

12. Bad website or bad browser?

13. Bad Site Appears when entering bad URL