Computer with no OS, why won't XP or anything install?

Computer with no OS, why won't XP or anything install?

Post by Josh Collin » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 12:44:45

Got a new computer with no OS. When I turn it on all it says is Check PC
signal. However, there is another message that says "Monitor is Working."
The computer shop said they checked the computer before they sent it to me
and it was working fine. Any ideas or suggestions.

Computer with no OS, why won't XP or anything install?

Post by Jim Mackli » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 13:09:49

Buy an OS

| Got a new computer with no OS. When I turn it on all it
says is Check PC
| signal. However, there is another message that says
"Monitor is Working."
| The computer shop said they checked the computer before
they sent it to me
| and it was working fine. Any ideas or suggestions.

Computer with no OS, why won't XP or anything install?

Post by Tom Lak » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 13:29:43

Quote:> Buy an OS

Even with no OS he should get BIOS messages or SOMETHING.

Tom Lake

Computer with no OS, why won't XP or anything install?

Post by grahamilto » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 14:13:17

Sounds like your monitor is not receiving the VGA signal from video adapter
properly, some monitors display a message like the one your getting if they
arent connected to anything. you are switching the PC on as well as the
monitor are you.
Check that the cable is plugged into the PC correctly, try unplugging it and
then plugging it back in making sure its firmly in

also some motherboards have onboard graphic chips, so if your PC has this,
but has a AGP/PCI graphics card you will have two sockets to which you can
plug your monitor in. If this is the case try the other socket, but you will
be wanting to use the graphics card, so if you do have two and got it
working you better post back here say what socket it is working on.

The worst that could of happened is the PC got damaged during transit, or
maybe the PC got a knock and the graphics card is not seated correctly.

You may want to post back with a list of the computer specs, ie what
hardware is in it, processor, graphics cards, etc. and what OS are you
planning installing? and do you have a OS setup disc.

Quote:> Got a new computer with no OS. When I turn it on all it says is Check PC
> signal. However, there is another message that says "Monitor is Working."
> The computer shop said they checked the computer before they sent it to me
> and it was working fine. Any ideas or suggestions.

Computer with no OS, why won't XP or anything install?

Post by Josh Collin » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 20:34:36

I have an OS ding dong. I asked the guy before I bought it if he wanted my
serial number so he could install XP, but he said he couldn't do that. Also,
the motherboard CD should still boot and I should still be able to get into
BIOS. There is something else going on.

> Buy an OS

> | Got a new computer with no OS. When I turn it on all it
> says is Check PC
> | signal. However, there is another message that says
> "Monitor is Working."
> | The computer shop said they checked the computer before
> they sent it to me
> | and it was working fine. Any ideas or suggestions.

Computer with no OS, why won't XP or anything install?

Post by Jim Mackli » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 22:23:29

What is a ding dong?

| I have an OS ding dong. I asked the guy before I bought it
if he wanted my
| serial number so he could install XP, but he said he
couldn't do that. Also,
| the motherboard CD should still boot and I should still be
able to get into
| BIOS. There is something else going on.
|

| > Buy an OS

message

| > | Got a new computer with no OS. When I turn it on all
it
| > says is Check PC
| > | signal. However, there is another message that says
| > "Monitor is Working."
| > | The computer shop said they checked the computer
before
| > they sent it to me
| > | and it was working fine. Any ideas or suggestions.
| > |
| > |

Computer with no OS, why won't XP or anything install?

Post by Jim Mackli » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 22:27:03

To access the BIOS, turn the computer ON and press the
proper key.  Does the display show you a key "to enter
setup"?

Typically this will be F1 or F2, maybe F10 (Compaq uses
that) it can even be "esc" or something else.  It should be
in the documentation you got with the computer.  The BIOS
can be set so the CD is the first boot device.

| I had already tried the the two sockets. Neither works.
Also, it does not
| look like the computer is booting from CD rom. My floppy
has no power light
| showing. I have XP Home in the CD rom. I have purchased a
computer before
| with no OS and when I put XP in the CD Rom and started the
computer, it
| booted right up. I am gonna take the computer back.
|

| "grahamilton" <graham_hamilton{at}msn.com> wrote in
message

| > Sounds like your monitor is not receiving the VGA signal
from video
| adapter
| > properly, some monitors display a message like the one
your getting if
| they
| > arent connected to anything. you are switching the PC on
as well as the
| > monitor are you.
| > Check that the cable is plugged into the PC correctly,
try unplugging it
| and
| > then plugging it back in making sure its firmly in
| >
| > also some motherboards have onboard graphic chips, so if
your PC has this,
| > but has a AGP/PCI graphics card you will have two
sockets to which you can
| > plug your monitor in. If this is the case try the other
socket, but you
| will
| > be wanting to use the graphics card, so if you do have
two and got it
| > working you better post back here say what socket it is
working on.

| > The worst that could of happened is the PC got damaged
during transit, or
| > maybe the PC got a knock and the graphics card is not
seated correctly.

| > You may want to post back with a list of the computer
specs, ie what
| > hardware is in it, processor, graphics cards, etc. and
what OS are you
| > planning installing? and do you have a OS setup disc.

message

| > > Got a new computer with no OS. When I turn it on all
it says is Check PC
| > > signal. However, there is another message that says
"Monitor is
| Working."
| > > The computer shop said they checked the computer
before they sent it to
| me
| > > and it was working fine. Any ideas or suggestions.

Computer with no OS, why won't XP or anything install?

Post by -: Old Bastard : » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 00:13:53

A pirated key?

> What is a ding dong?

> | I have an OS ding dong. I asked the guy before I bought it
> if he wanted my
> | serial number so he could install XP, but he said he
> couldn't do that. Also,
> | the motherboard CD should still boot and I should still be
> able to get into
> | BIOS. There is something else going on.
> |

> | > Buy an OS
> | >

> message

> it
> | > says is Check PC
> | > "Monitor is Working."
> before
> | > they sent it to me
> | > |
> | > |

Computer with no OS, why won't XP or anything install?

Post by Josh Collin » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 02:14:28

It was a bad video card. Thanks for all those who replied....except for the
ding dong and the one who thought I pirated XP  :)   <grin>

> I have an OS ding dong. I asked the guy before I bought it if he wanted my
> serial number so he could install XP, but he said he couldn't do that.
Also,
> the motherboard CD should still boot and I should still be able to get
into
> BIOS. There is something else going on.

> > Buy an OS

> > | Got a new computer with no OS. When I turn it on all it
> > says is Check PC
> > | signal. However, there is another message that says
> > "Monitor is Working."
> > | The computer shop said they checked the computer before
> > they sent it to me
> > | and it was working fine. Any ideas or suggestions.

Computer with no OS, why won't XP or anything install?

Post by larry star » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 02:52:17

Try    Control + S

Computer with no OS, why won't XP or anything install?

Post by -: Old Bastard : » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 07:47:48

Well shit son, what is one to think when you have the mentality to call
something an "OS ding dong".

Expand you mind a bit! Learn 2 or 3 new words! Then try to use one next week
in a sentence!

> It was a bad video card. Thanks for all those who replied....except for
the
> ding dong and the one who thought I pirated XP  :)   <grin>

> > I have an OS ding dong. I asked the guy before I bought it if he wanted
my
> > serial number so he could install XP, but he said he couldn't do that.
> Also,
> > the motherboard CD should still boot and I should still be able to get
> into
> > BIOS. There is something else going on.

> > > Buy an OS

> > > says is Check PC
> > > "Monitor is Working."
> > > they sent it to me

Computer with no OS, why won't XP or anything install?

Post by NobodyMa » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 08:24:34

On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 08:23:29 -0500, "Jim Macklin"

>What is a ding dong?

And what's a "Motherboard CD?"

Post by Mark S » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 08:51:04

> On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 08:23:29 -0500, "Jim Macklin"

> >What is a ding dong?

> And what's a "Motherboard CD?"

That I would guess is the CD that comes packaged with the mainboard, and
contains chipset drivers, Bios flash utilities, and other utilities and
drivers as supplied by the manufacturer, e.g. Asus, Intel, Abit, etc..

MarkS

Computer with no OS, why won't XP or anything install?

Post by Jim Mackli » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 08:57:29

When I bought my Intel motherboard, there was a CD in the
box, with Intel drivers.

I still wonder about the ding dong, unless it is a *o
plastic device  LOL

| On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 08:23:29 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
|
| >What is a ding dong?
|
| And what's a "Motherboard CD?"

Computer with no OS, why won't XP or anything install?

Post by Josh Collin » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 10:01:27

A lot of smart people here. I now realize that ding dong was to nice of a
descriptor for your ilk.