Clicking on a Drive in My Computer Starts "Search" Instead of "Open"

Clicking on a Drive in My Computer Starts "Search" Instead of "Open"

Post by Larr » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 00:19:02

The default action when double clicking on a drive icon
in "My Computer" has changed to "Search" instead
of "Open". When I right-click on a drive icon, "Search"
is now the default action and open is listed as one of
the other options. The change happened after doing a
simple search recently.

Anyone know how to change the default action back
to "Open" when clicking on a drive icon in My Computer.?

Win XP Home with latest updates - Dell P4 3.06, networked
to another Dell P4 1.8 Win XP Prof. via linksys Ethernet
Hub/Router Combo.

Thanks for your help.

Clicking on a Drive in My Computer Starts "Search" Instead of "Open"

Post by Saverio Mercuri » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 01:20:26

Take a look at this thread:
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1023887168.

It may not be all that straightforward.

--
Saverio Mercurio

harvesters.

Quote:> The default action when double clicking on a drive icon
> in "My Computer" has changed to "Search" instead
> of "Open". When I right-click on a drive icon, "Search"
> is now the default action and open is listed as one of
> the other options. The change happened after doing a
> simple search recently.

> Anyone know how to change the default action back
> to "Open" when clicking on a drive icon in My Computer.?

> Win XP Home with latest updates - Dell P4 3.06, networked
> to another Dell P4 1.8 Win XP Prof. via linksys Ethernet
> Hub/Router Combo.

> Thanks for your help.

Clicking on a Drive in My Computer Starts "Search" Instead of "Open"

Post by Kell » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 03:52:37

Hi Larry,

Go to Start/Run and type in:  regsvr32 /i shell32

If that doesn't correct the issue use this automated edit:

Search Opens When Double Clicking a Folder or Drive (Line 18)

To use the VBS File: Download .vbs file and save it to your hard drive (you
may want to right click and use Save Target As).  Double-click the vbs file.
You will be prompted when the script is done.

--
All the Best,
Kelly

MS-MVP Win98/XP-Shell/User [AE-Windows? XP]
Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Quote:> The default action when double clicking on a drive icon
> in "My Computer" has changed to "Search" instead
> of "Open". When I right-click on a drive icon, "Search"
> is now the default action and open is listed as one of
> the other options. The change happened after doing a
> simple search recently.

> Anyone know how to change the default action back
> to "Open" when clicking on a drive icon in My Computer.?

> Win XP Home with latest updates - Dell P4 3.06, networked
> to another Dell P4 1.8 Win XP Prof. via linksys Ethernet
> Hub/Router Combo.

> Thanks for your help.

1. Right click context menu has "SEARCH" at the top instead of "OPEN"

You've been playing with it else open would not be bold. You'll find it's only directories have the problem you describe. Playing with it causes this problem.

Folders Show Find When Doubled click
Happens a lot in XP as a bug. But can happen to any version of windows for a variety of reason. This will make folders oOpen rather than search or another command.

  a.. Download restoreopentofolders.reg file and open it from the site or download and merge with regedit.

  b.. Type regedit.com in Start - Run to start it, then Registry menu - Import the attached file.

David Candy
www.mvps.org/serenitymacros
http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?500000002364 or http://www.simtel.com/pub/pd/18669.html

Please don't Reply To All - It gets confusing.

  restoreopentofolders.reg
< 1K Download

2. Viewing windows IE web archives in MacOS X IE?

3. "Run"," Search" and" Help and Support" on the Start Menu

4. FS: Velo1 8MB

5. "CD Drive" instead of "DVD Drive" in My Computer

6. Extended desktop

7. "Run"," Search" and" Help and Suport" (Start Menu)

8. Kodak DVC 323 and Windows XP

9. XP: "My Computer" hangs when right click on drives in "My Computer"

10. Changing primary function to "open" instead of "search"

11. subfolders of "Sent Items" show "From" instead of "To"

12. Network browser lists "Computer Descriptions" instead of "Computer Names"

13. Open all folders in "explorer" mode instead of "open" mode.