Excessive network traffic - packets sent and received

Excessive network traffic - packets sent and received

Post by Rich Kin » Thu, 27 Jun 2002 00:54:06

When I view the Local Area Connection Status of my network
card, it is sending and receiving an excessive amount of
packets.  After the Windows XP computer is running about 4-
5 hours, I already have about 15 million packets sent and
received.
That's 15,000,000 !!!!
I compared it to another computer also running XP, and
that one had only 1 to 2 million per day.
Both computers get about the same amount of use. (very
little).
The network adapter is a 3Com EtherLink 10/100 PCI (3C905C-
TX).
I don't notice any decrease in network performance ... the
NIC seems to be working ok.
Thanks, Rich King

Excessive network traffic - packets sent and received

Post by - HAL900 » Thu, 27 Jun 2002 15:41:25

One day I started receiving a bunch of (useless) packets.  I installed
a copy EtherPeek software to find out why.  Apparently some servers on
my local network had the Code Red virus, which was a brand new virus
at the time.  Several servers were sending out virus packets at a high
rate.  You may want to get EtherPeek, or similar program, and find out
what kind of traffic it is too...

Forrest

Quote:>When I view the Local Area Connection Status of my network
>card, it is sending and receiving an excessive amount of
>packets.  After the Windows XP computer is running about 4-
>5 hours, I already have about 15 million packets sent and
>received.
>That's 15,000,000 !!!!
>I compared it to another computer also running XP, and
>that one had only 1 to 2 million per day.
>Both computers get about the same amount of use. (very
>little).
>The network adapter is a 3Com EtherLink 10/100 PCI (3C905C-
>TX).
>I don't notice any decrease in network performance ... the
>NIC seems to be working ok.
>Thanks, Rich King

1. Modem Sends Packets But Does Not Receive Packets

A few weeks ago, I upgraded my Windows 95 computer to Windows Me.
Everything worked properly until two days ago, when the modem no
longer worked correctly.

The 56K modem connects to the ISP, logs in, and the statistics show
that the number of "sent" bytes keeps increasing, but the number of
"received" bytes just sits at about 300 or 400.

This is true with two different ISPs and two different phone lines.

Any suggestions about how to correct or troubleshoot this?

Thanks very much.

2. Infamous Red X "Solution"

3. Excess packet traffic on network adapter

4. reg key to remove deleted playlists?

5. Monitoring network traffic (no. + size of packets)

6. Using and Registering window control classes

7. Changing Send/Receive to Receive/Send

8. start win95 in safe mode/ scandisk problem

9. Orinoco USB: Can receive packets fine, but sends regularly time out

10. Outlook Express "excessive message traffic"

11. excessive broadcast traffic

12. Excessive IP traffic

13. Network Connection Status | Acitivity | Sent Packets