network printing from 98SE to XP Pro

Post by Charlie Stuar » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 09:19:00

I just upgraded a networked machine with an HP Laserjet
printer attached from ME to XP Pro. Now I can't print to
the HP Laserjet from any of the other computers on the
network. We could before the upgrade. After the upgrade,
the printer was no longer shared.  I shared it, it appears
when adding a printer from another computer on the
network, yet the error I get is that the printer
is 'offline'. This is not true. I can print to it from the
XP machine it's physically attached to and it does not
show up as 'offline' except when accessed from another
machine out on the network. I've checked permissions and
have given print rights to 'everyone', yet still this
offline thing.  Any ideas anyone?

Thanks - Charlie

Post by Rick » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 13:25:03

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I just upgraded a networked machine with an HP Laserjet
>printer attached from ME to XP Pro. Now I can't print to
>the HP Laserjet from any of the other computers on the
>network. We could before the upgrade. After the upgrade,
>the printer was no longer shared.  I shared it, it
appears
>when adding a printer from another computer on the
>network, yet the error I get is that the printer
>is 'offline'. This is not true. I can print to it from
the
>XP machine it's physically attached to and it does not
>show up as 'offline' except when accessed from another
>machine out on the network. I've checked permissions and
>have given print rights to 'everyone', yet still this
>offline thing.  Any ideas anyone?

>Thanks - Charlie
>.

Welcome to the odd world of HP/XP printer probs.  The only
resolution I found was to use generic HP(500c) drivers and
fool the other machines into thinking the printer was a
different one.  You'll install a 500c on the XP machine on
the port the LJ is attached to (LPT1 or...)as the default
printer.  From there you'll be able to share it on the
network.  Be advised, you'll lose some of the
functionality, like scanning, special printing setups, etc
that were available thru the LJ software, from the
networked machines, but those features are still available
on the XP box so long as you choose it print to.

network printing from 98SE to XP Pro

Post by jazz » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 22:46:38

check their web site for network compatibility. I have had trouble getting
usb printers shared and working properly on network where their parallel
port counterparts have no prob.....

usually there is some indecipherable rambling they call a tech support
document hidden deep in the bowls of thier website, only to be discovered
several months later while looking for information on a completely different
topic and relating to a completely different printer.

if you aree of the lucky to discover this early then it may help you to
search for help in a more broad fashion.

Quote:> I just upgraded a networked machine with an HP Laserjet
> printer attached from ME to XP Pro. Now I can't print to
> the HP Laserjet from any of the other computers on the
> network. We could before the upgrade. After the upgrade,
> the printer was no longer shared.  I shared it, it appears
> when adding a printer from another computer on the
> network, yet the error I get is that the printer
> is 'offline'. This is not true. I can print to it from the
> XP machine it's physically attached to and it does not
> show up as 'offline' except when accessed from another
> machine out on the network. I've checked permissions and
> have given print rights to 'everyone', yet still this
> offline thing.  Any ideas anyone?

> Thanks - Charlie

network printing from 98SE to XP Pro

Post by Charlie Stuar » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 03:14:46

Thanks for the quick replies all, but I figured it out
thanks to another post in another group, so I thought I'd
better post again in case anyone else has the same
problem.  The part that threw me off is that it worked
fine before upgrading from ME.

At the risk of looking dumb, it was the share name.  When
I originally shared it under ME, I had spaces in the name,
as in: <HP Laserjet 6P> and anyone could print to it
across the network.  As soon as I upgraded to XP Pro,
network printing quit.  As soon as I changed the share
name to <HPLaserjet>, it suddenly started working again.
I did have to go and delete then re-install the drivers on
the other workstations, but hey, it's alive!  Who knew?

Charlie

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I just upgraded a networked machine with an HP Laserjet
>printer attached from ME to XP Pro. Now I can't print to
>the HP Laserjet from any of the other computers on the
>network. We could before the upgrade. After the upgrade,
>the printer was no longer shared.  I shared it, it
appears
>when adding a printer from another computer on the
>network, yet the error I get is that the printer
>is 'offline'. This is not true. I can print to it from
the
>XP machine it's physically attached to and it does not
>show up as 'offline' except when accessed from another
>machine out on the network. I've checked permissions and
>have given print rights to 'everyone', yet still this
>offline thing.  Any ideas anyone?

>Thanks - Charlie
>.

1. XP Pro to 2k pro, 98se and 95 networking issues

I have been tearing my hair out for about three weeks now trying to get the
following setup to work.

I have a new XP Pro machine set up with the following network protocols.

TCP/IP 192.168.0.23
Netbui

I have an almost new 2k Pro machine with the following protocols.

TCP/IP 192.168.0.20
Netbui

There is a ADSL modem attached to the network;

TCP/IP 192.168.0.100

There are also machines connected to the network with 98 and 95 OS's on
them.

All the machines have internet access, all machines can ping each other.
All have firewalls (set up to allow full access on the network).

The 2kPro machine can see the entire network, except the XP Pro machine.

The XP Pro machine can't see nothing but itself.

I don't want to add IPX/SPX protocols due to the machines being on the net
perminantly.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Paul

2. sound card- sound blaster 5.1 live

3. win 95 98 98se to win xp home - pro networking solution

4. hidden files

5. Windows XP Pro to 98SE Network

6. how to use classwizard with non-appwizard apps?

7. XP Pro/ 98SE home network problem

8. Misbehaving compobj.dll, VB4 & MS Office!!

9. win 95 98 98se to win xp ( home - pro) networking solution

10. Please Help: Home networking PC's running XP Pro & 98SE

11. Networking XP Pro & Win 98SE

12. XP pro, Win 2k and win 98se network question

13. Win 98SE and Win XP Pro Networking Issues