Windows XP Pro Freezes randomly

Post by Bill Jenczy » Thu, 06 Feb 2003 21:18:36

I am using Windows XP Pro on a Dell Inspiron 7500, 512 Mb RAM.  I am running
Novell Client 4.83, with all updates.

Apparently at random, my computer will freeze.  The mouse will not move, the
keyboard does not respond, and it appears that the system has hung.  I get
no blue screen, just a completely locked up computer.  It does not appear to
have anything to do with the programs running at the time, because it
happens with different things running.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to investigate this problem?  I
have checked the error log file, and nothing appears there.  In order to
restart, I have to do a hard reboot.  I have run Dell's diagnostic utilities
on the computer, and it comes back with no errors.

One last bit of information that may be pertinant is the if I run Symantec
Disk Doctor, I get an error saying that there is a problem with the
"security descriptors", and that I must run scandisk upon restart to fix
this problem.  If I do this, after scandisk fixes the problem the computer
will not boot.  I have to use system restore to go back to the previous
configuration.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Windows XP Pro Freezes randomly

Post by <Nluetz.. » Fri, 07 Feb 2003 03:00:11

Hey, Bill! If you ever get an answer to this problem,
would you please share it with me? I just got a
new Dell 4550 PC running XP Professional and Office XP
Small Business. My system also gets 'hung up', or
completely freezes requiring a hard reboot. I have
found nothing in the MS Knowledge Base about this.
On another topic, I also get the MS Visual Basic error "5"
when I try to open a Word document. This is nowhere in the
Knowledge Base, though searching through PC Magazine has
turned up similar complaints, but no solutions for my
system. Ughhh!
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I am using Windows XP Pro on a Dell Inspiron 7500, 512 Mb
RAM.  I am running
>Novell Client 4.83, with all updates.

>Apparently at random, my computer will freeze.  The mouse
will not move, the
>keyboard does not respond, and it appears that the system
has hung.  I get
>no blue screen, just a completely locked up computer.  It
does not appear to
>have anything to do with the programs running at the
time, because it
>happens with different things running.

>Can anyone point me in the right direction to investigate
this problem?  I
>have checked the error log file, and nothing appears
there.  In order to
>restart, I have to do a hard reboot.  I have run Dell's

diagnostic utilities
Quote:>on the computer, and it comes back with no errors.

>One last bit of information that may be pertinant is the
if I run Symantec
>Disk Doctor, I get an error saying that there is a
problem with the
>"security descriptors", and that I must run scandisk upon
restart to fix
>this problem.  If I do this, after scandisk fixes the

problem the computer

Quote:>will not boot.  I have to use system restore to go back
to the previous
>configuration.

>Any help will be greatly appreciated!

>.

Windows XP Pro Freezes randomly

Post by don » Fri, 07 Feb 2003 03:51:52

Quote:> I am using Windows XP Pro on a Dell Inspiron 7500, 512 Mb RAM.  I am
running
> Novell Client 4.83, with all updates.

> Apparently at random, my computer will freeze.  The mouse will not move,
the
> keyboard does not respond, and it appears that the system has hung.  I get
> no blue screen, just a completely locked up computer.  It does not appear
> have anything to do with the programs running at the time, because it
> happens with different things running.

> Can anyone point me in the right direction to investigate this problem?  I
> have checked the error log file, and nothing appears there.  In order to
> restart, I have to do a hard reboot.  I have run Dell's diagnostic
utilities
> on the computer, and it comes back with no errors.

> One last bit of information that may be pertinant is the if I run Symantec
> Disk Doctor, I get an error saying that there is a problem with the
> "security descriptors", and that I must run scandisk upon restart to fix
> this problem.  If I do this, after scandisk fixes the problem the computer
> will not boot.  I have to use system restore to go back to the previous
> configuration.

> Any help will be greatly appreciated!

You may well have more than one problem on your system that is causing the
freezes.

Before anything you need to resolve the problem with the security
descriptors.
Chkdsk  /r  should fix these problems--but you say it blows the system at
reboot.
This suggests there is a serious problem with your hard drive.
Identify your hard drive and go to the manufacturers website and download a
disk utility which should diagnose the state of the disk and probably a
repair.

Windows XP Pro Freezes randomly

Post by larry12 » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 05:32:03

I've also got a Dell 4450, XP Pro, P4, 512 MB Ram, Office 2000, 110 GB HDs,
etc.

My system locks up completely 2-3 times daily. I mean I have to physically
unplug the PC to do a reboot. Not a good practice!

I've narrowed it down to Outlook 2000, Outlook chokes when it tries to
download an email from a POP account, though there doesn't appear to be a
problem with that email message itself, as I can go to my web mail manager
and open the email there, and there's nothing wrong with it, just plain
text.

I can understand there being problems here and there and generating an error
message, but to have the system completely lock up is ridiculous. In 3 years
of using Windows 2000 Pro on my prior PC, it never ever ever locked up, not
once! *like this with XP just pisses me off to no end. I'd go back to
Win2K in a second if I could, but I can't.

OK, off MS-bashing soap box now. :-)

Larry123

Quote:> Hey, Bill! If you ever get an answer to this problem,
> would you please share it with me? I just got a
> new Dell 4550 PC running XP Professional and Office XP
> Small Business. My system also gets 'hung up', or
> completely freezes requiring a hard reboot. I have
> found nothing in the MS Knowledge Base about this.
> On another topic, I also get the MS Visual Basic error "5"
> when I try to open a Word document. This is nowhere in the
> Knowledge Base, though searching through PC Magazine has
> turned up similar complaints, but no solutions for my
> system. Ughhh!

Post by Art - Vinste » Fri, 28 Feb 2003 04:47:51

I was having the same problem with my Dell Inspiron 8200...   It seems
to behave after I turned off the "briefly change mouse cursor" when
new items arrive under the advanced email options..  It's been a few
days now and no problem where as it was randomly locking about once a
day..  worth a try I guess..

Windows XP Pro Freezes randomly

Post by Art - Vinste » Sun, 02 Mar 2003 02:40:47

That wasn't it...   Locked up again..   Same symptoms...   Just
freezes for no apparent reason..

Quote:> I was having the same problem with my Dell Inspiron 8200...   It seems
> to behave after I turned off the "briefly change mouse cursor" when
> new items arrive under the advanced email options..  It's been a few
> days now and no problem where as it was randomly locking about once a
> day..  worth a try I guess..

Windows XP Pro Freezes randomly

Post by larry12 » Thu, 06 Mar 2003 09:15:36

Art,

I solved my lock-up problems. It was a conflict between Norton AV and
ZoneAlarm. If you're running both of them, uninstall both of them, then
reload NAV, then reload ZA.

HTH,

Larry123

> That wasn't it...   Locked up again..   Same symptoms...   Just
> freezes for no apparent reason..

Quote:> > I was having the same problem with my Dell Inspiron 8200...   It seems
> > to behave after I turned off the "briefly change mouse cursor" when
> > new items arrive under the advanced email options..  It's been a few
> > days now and no problem where as it was randomly locking about once a
> > day..  worth a try I guess..

1. XP Pro freezing & randomly turning itself off!

For over half a year I have been receiving Blue Screen
messages like:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

Now, my computer (Athlon 1500XP, 512MB RAM, GeForce 4
Ti4200, Jetway 830CF motherboard) either freezes (with the
last frame before the malfunction displayed endlessly
accompanied by the last note of sound which repeats
constantly in an annoying hum), or sometimes just appears
to turn itself off. The computer is still running as I can
hear it but the screen is black. The Num Lock key works
(it turns the Num Lock light on) for a few times but on
the 5th or 6th key press it freezes too.

It's all very complicated and it's extremely annoying.
Sometimes it won't happen for a week and then it'll occur
ten times in one day.

Please help!!!

2. Princeton E0705 and Windows XP

3. xp pro randomly hang (freezes)

4. remote assistance issue

5. Why does post SP1 WinXP pro randomly freeze (crash) now?

6. WinXP style buttons and taskbar disappeared --reset XP Appearance settings

7. Windows XP Pro/Sp1 Computer reboots randomly

8. Installing XP Pro on ME machine

9. Windows XP Pro. Randomly Rebooting the system?

10. Notice that Windows XP, assigns password randomly,cannot repair windows xp.

11. Windows XP Pro setup freezes when "Starting Windows" - help!

12. XP is freezing randomly