I don't understand this, pls help

Post by Bill Wallac » Thu, 30 May 2002 18:00:06

Dear Support,

I have noticed something strange whilst trying to resolve
another problem (unrelated to this one).

I have a SONY FX503 laptop running Windows XP Home Edition
and noticed that my video card is showing that I have less
memory in Windows XP (4MB), to what is quoted in the
literature specification and manuals (11MB) of my laptop.

Windows XP show:
================
The video card adapter is Intel(R) 82815 Graphics
Controller with 4MB

Literature specification & manuals show:
Intel Graphic technology 3D
Hardware acceleration with 11 MB
max. Intel Dynamic video Memory
technology
True colour (24 Bit)
using XGA mode and graphic
accelerator dithering function

Please help.

Bill

I don't understand this, pls help

Post by Kevin Pott » Thu, 30 May 2002 18:22:15

The rest of the video memory is going to come from the system memory.

see http://program.intel.com/shared/products/chipsets/dvmt_white.pdf
for technical details.

Quote:> Dear Support,

> I have noticed something strange whilst trying to resolve
> another problem (unrelated to this one).

> I have a SONY FX503 laptop running Windows XP Home Edition
> and noticed that my video card is showing that I have less
> memory in Windows XP (4MB), to what is quoted in the
> literature specification and manuals (11MB) of my laptop.

> Windows XP show:
> ================
> The video card adapter is Intel(R) 82815 Graphics
> Controller with 4MB

> Literature specification & manuals show:
> Intel Graphic technology 3D
> Hardware acceleration with 11 MB
> max. Intel Dynamic video Memory
> technology
> True colour (24 Bit)
> using XGA mode and graphic
> accelerator dithering function

> Please help.

> Bill

I don't understand this, pls help

Post by Bill Wallac » Thu, 30 May 2002 19:23:39

Kevin,

Thanks for you help.

I am using Intel(R) 82815 Graphics and this information is
for 815E, 815, 815EG, 815E & 810 family.  I am abit
confused, please could you explain how this is related.

Thanks for you help :-)

Bill

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>The rest of the video memory is going to come from the
system memory.

>see

http://program.intel.com/shared/products/chipsets/dvmt_whit
e.pdf
>for technical details.

Quote:>> Dear Support,

>> I have noticed something strange whilst trying to
resolve
>> another problem (unrelated to this one).

>> I have a SONY FX503 laptop running Windows XP Home
Edition
>> and noticed that my video card is showing that I have
less
>> memory in Windows XP (4MB), to what is quoted in the
>> literature specification and manuals (11MB) of my
laptop.

>> Windows XP show:
>> ================
>> The video card adapter is Intel(R) 82815 Graphics
>> Controller with 4MB

>> Literature specification & manuals show:
>> Intel Graphic technology 3D
>> Hardware acceleration with 11 MB
>> max. Intel Dynamic video Memory
>> technology
>> True colour (24 Bit)
>> using XGA mode and graphic
>> accelerator dithering function

>> Please help.

>> Bill

>.

I don't understand this, pls help

Post by Kevin Pott » Thu, 30 May 2002 19:35:32

Right the 82815 is the graphics chip used on your 815 motherboard.

> Kevin,

> Thanks for you help.

> I am using Intel(R) 82815 Graphics and this information is
> for 815E, 815, 815EG, 815E & 810 family.  I am abit
> confused, please could you explain how this is related.

> Thanks for you help :-)

> Bill

Post by Bill Wallac » Thu, 30 May 2002 19:50:07

Kevin,

How do know 815 is the motherboard for a SONY FX503, I can
not locate this information anywhere.

Please asvise.

Thanks.

Post by Kevin Pott » Thu, 30 May 2002 20:00:22

I don't have a referance for your sony, but I think the 82815 Graphics and
Memory Controller was only for the 815 series intel motherboards.

> Kevin,

> How do know 815 is the motherboard for a SONY FX503, I can
> not locate this information anywhere.

> Please asvise.

> Thanks.

Post by Bill Wallac » Thu, 30 May 2002 20:44:52

Kevin,

On a final note, why doesn't Windows XP show the correct
memory (11MB) for my video card?

Please advise.

message

have
the

>> >.

>.

I don't understand this, pls help

Post by Tom Della-Latt » Thu, 30 May 2002 21:43:03

Have you checked the setting in BIOS? Usually defaults to 4MB you need to
get into BIOS to increase it.

Tom

> Kevin,

> On a final note, why doesn't Windows XP show the correct
> memory (11MB) for my video card?

> Please advise.

---

I don't understand this, pls help

Post by Bill Wallac » Fri, 31 May 2002 20:06:47

Kevin,

I have found some more literature and this says that I
have an Intel 815EM Chipset Integrated Graphic Accelerator.

815EM is not listed on the web page that you pointed out
earlier. Does this web page still apply to me?

Is there anywhere on my laptop I can find out what
hardware (make/model etc) it has been built with?

Regards,

Bill

message

>> information
abit
>> related.

Post by Kevin Pott » Fri, 31 May 2002 21:19:07

Yea that's another version of the 815 chipset, I didn't see the detailed
hardware info on the Sony site so short of opening the laptop and looking at
the chips... What are you looking for, just more info on the video/memory?

ftp://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/29068901.pdf

Kevin,

I have found some more literature and this says that I
have an Intel 815EM Chipset Integrated Graphic Accelerator.

815EM is not listed on the web page that you pointed out
earlier. Does this web page still apply to me?

Is there anywhere on my laptop I can find out what
hardware (make/model etc) it has been built with?

Regards,

Bill

message

Post by Kevin Pott » Fri, 31 May 2002 21:21:57

http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/815em/

> Yea that's another version of the 815 chipset, I didn't see the detailed
> hardware info on the Sony site so short of opening the laptop and looking
at
> the chips... What are you looking for, just more info on the video/memory?

> ftp://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/29068901.pdf

> Kevin,

> I have found some more literature and this says that I
> have an Intel 815EM Chipset Integrated Graphic Accelerator.

> 815EM is not listed on the web page that you pointed out
> earlier. Does this web page still apply to me?

> Is there anywhere on my laptop I can find out what
> hardware (make/model etc) it has been built with?

> Regards,

> Bill

Post by Bill Wallac » Fri, 31 May 2002 23:31:00

yep, looking for more information on the video memory.

Thanks,

Bill

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Yea that's another version of the 815 chipset, I didn't
see the detailed
>hardware info on the Sony site so short of opening the

laptop and looking at
>the chips... What are you looking for, just more info on
the video/memory?

>ftp://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/29068901
.pdf

>Kevin,

>I have found some more literature and this says that I
>have an Intel 815EM Chipset Integrated Graphic
Accelerator.

>815EM is not listed on the web page that you pointed out
>earlier. Does this web page still apply to me?

>Is there anywhere on my laptop I can find out what
>hardware (make/model etc) it has been built with?

>Regards,

>Bill

message

>>> can

>>> message

>>> have
>t? P|#3
>in
>>> the
>my

>Gr

1. I don't understand, pls help

[...]

2. Mac pictures

3. PLS HELP, PLS HELP, I DON'T WANT TO BE FIRED

4. WinExplorer Copy Feature

5. MCI Device problem - Don't understand, can someone help me out????????????

6. Not detecting drive-Help

7. help..i don't understand

8. Sorting Explorer Favorites

9. Help, I don't understand

10. Need Help-Don't understand AUTOARCHIVE

11. pls help if you understand java

12. Pls pls pls help

13. I don't understand Station Manager???