WindowsXP

Post by Gary » Fri, 11 Apr 2003 04:31:48

We have purchased a computer with WindowsXP for our
parents who are senior citizens.  They are having trouble
reading the print on the programs because it is too
small.  Is there any way to enlarge it and have the larger
print be the default.  All the print size is much smaller
than that on OUR Windows98 program and shell.  We also
notice that this is true on the web pages that we select.

Your prompt response is greatly appreciated.

WindowsXP

Post by Rich Barr » Fri, 11 Apr 2003 04:37:10

  In WinXP  go to Help and Support. Choose Customizing My Computer and
select  Fonts and Text. It will show you how
  to increase the size.

Quote:> We have purchased a computer with WindowsXP for our
> parents who are senior citizens.  They are having trouble
> reading the print on the programs because it is too
> small.  Is there any way to enlarge it and have the larger
> print be the default.  All the print size is much smaller
> than that on OUR Windows98 program and shell.  We also
> notice that this is true on the web pages that we select.

> Your prompt response is greatly appreciated.

WindowsXP

Post by Big Daddy Ji » Fri, 11 Apr 2003 04:40:05

Yes, right-click on the open desktop and go to PROPERTIES.

Then, click on the APPEARANCE tab and at the bottom of the Window, there's a
FONT SIZE choice that allows you to specify EXTRA LARGE FONTS.  Then click
APPLY and OK.

Voila!

--
Regards,

BigDaddyJim
A+, Windows 2000 MCP

Screenshot movies for tech support on Windows 2000 / XP!
http://www.screenshotmovies.com

Post by dev » Fri, 11 Apr 2003 04:41:44

Gary said:

Quote:> We have purchased a computer with WindowsXP for our
> parents who are senior citizens.  They are having trouble
> reading the print on the programs because it is too
> small.  Is there any way to enlarge it and have the larger
> print be the default.  All the print size is much smaller
> than that on OUR Windows98 program and shell.  We also
> notice that this is true on the web pages that we select.

Try a lower resolution - 800 X 600 - under Control Panel|DISPLAY|SETTINGS.

Various text box and other default fonts and sizes can also be chosen under
Control panel|DISPLAY|APPEARANCE|ADVANCED tab.

There is also a browser-specific size setting.  In I.E. it's under VIEW
menu|TEXT SIZE.

WindowsXP

Post by Mike Kolit » Fri, 11 Apr 2003 04:44:32

Along with the other suggestions, you can also try the Magnifier tool, which
magnifies an area of the screen, making it easier to read.  You can access
this tool from Start / [All] Programs / Accessories / Accessibility.

--
mikey k
Mike Kolitz MCSE 2000

Post by Alex Nicho » Fri, 11 Apr 2003 21:34:15

>We have purchased a computer with WindowsXP for our
>parents who are senior citizens.  They are having trouble
>reading the print on the programs because it is too
>small.  Is there any way to enlarge it and have the larger
>print be the default.  All the print size is much smaller
>than that on OUR Windows98 program and shell.  We also
>notice that this is true on the web pages that we select.

I think step one would be Control Panel - Accessibility options ,
Display page and try the Use High Contrast, and the things you can
adjust with the Settings button

As a general start point after that, go to Control Panel - Display,
Settings page, click Appearance and put the DPI value up to 120 per inch
as a start.  That will increase sizes all round, and may be sufficient
in itself.  You can also take Advanced on the Appearance page to adjust
some font sizes (especially for icons or menus) and font to use

--
Alex Nichol MS MVP (Windows - File Systems)

WindowsXP

Post by Ken Blak » Sat, 12 Apr 2003 02:50:30

> We have purchased a computer with WindowsXP for our
> parents who are senior citizens.  They are having trouble
> reading the print on the programs because it is too
> small.  Is there any way to enlarge it and have the larger
> print be the default.  All the print size is much smaller
> than that on OUR Windows98 program and shell.  We also
> notice that this is true on the web pages that we select.

Right-click on the Desktop and choose Properties. On the Settings
tab, change to a lower resolution.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup