Upgrading from 98 2ed to XP Home - Problem

Upgrading from 98 2ed to XP Home - Problem

Post by Ralph Guzma » Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:39:40

I'm using a Gateway 700, (Pentium 4, 128 Mb, etc.) which runs Win98 2nd ed.
While attempting to upgrade to XP Home Edition,
I keep getting hung up at the same point. After running the install, XP
checks software, then copies files to the hard drive, and does a restart.

Now, here's my problem.  It boots up and hangs while "Setup is inspecting
your computer hardware configuration" message is displayed.

I've tried to install as an upgrade and a full install, but I get stopped at
the same point.

Anyone had this problem and found a solution.

Thanks.

Upgrading from 98 2ed to XP Home - Problem

Post by rick » Tue, 26 Mar 2002 12:13:19

format your HD from dos then try the install again.
if the same thing happens get a new copy of XP
have heard of numerous problems with original CD's
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I'm using a Gateway 700, (Pentium 4, 128 Mb, etc.) which
runs Win98 2nd ed.
>While attempting to upgrade to XP Home Edition,
>I keep getting hung up at the same point. After running
the install, XP
>checks software, then copies files to the hard drive,
and does a restart.

>Now, here's my problem.  It boots up and hangs

while "Setup is inspecting
Quote:>your computer hardware configuration" message is
displayed.

>I've tried to install as an upgrade and a full install,

but I get stopped at
Quote:>the same point.

>Anyone had this problem and found a solution.

>Thanks.

>.

1. problems with xp upgrade on 98-2ed

I tried upgrading XP on a Dell Dimension XPS T800 PIII via
a 12X Max Variable DVD ROM drive. (Upgrade for Win98 2nd
Ed.)

XP went through install fully, with a completed
successfully screen (only possible issues were with modem
and scanner).  On restart, cannot find rundll32.exe files
for any executable programs.  I am guessing the XP did not
install completely.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

2. IE6+ no sound

3. Windows XP over 98 2ed problem

4. Trident 9440 Drivers for NT - not at CICA -

5. Windows 98 2ed Bootup Problem - Help Please

6. "Download IE" graphic for web pages

7. OE lost mail on 98 - XP Home upgrade

8. trumpet via EtherNet

9. Windows 98 SE upgrade to XP Home

10. Upgrading 98 on XP Pro Home Network?

11. [Fwd: wireless lan doesn't work after upgrading from windows 98 to XP Home edition.]

12. Can I upgrade from Windows 98 to Windows XP Home or Proffessional

13. wireless lan doesn't work after upgrading from windows 98 to XP Home edition.