windows XP reboot during high network traffic???

windows XP reboot during high network traffic???

Post by Jéjé » Sun, 17 Oct 2004 23:02:50

Hi,

My station have some problems.
When I generate a high network trafic  (like transfering a file of 100mb) my
station simply reboot! (no blue screen, nothing, just a reboot and no event
in the event log)

also the problem occurs if I'm not connected to the station and I copy a
file remotly from this station to another computer.

during my tests (when thre reboot is not instantaneous) I see the usage of
the bandwidth is 10 to 15% of a 100mbps line.
doing the same work on another XP computer demonstrate a usage of 70-80% of
the same network.

My network card is a 3Com.

Any idea of what's appends?
what can I test/do?

thanks.

Jerome.

windows XP reboot during high network traffic???

Post by Bob Eyste » Mon, 18 Oct 2004 00:18:13

You could have a bad NIC. Our department where I work did away with 3COM
NIC's, we now use Intel Pro's.

Bob Eyster

Quote:> Hi,

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Mon, 18 Oct 2004 00:46:38

> You could have a bad NIC. Our department where I work did away with
> 3COM NIC's, we now use Intel Pro's.

I second (and third, and fourth) that one. I haven't been happy with 3Com
NICs in a long long time and always go with Intel.

> Bob Eyster

>> Hi,

>> My station have some problems.
>> When I generate a high network trafic  (like transfering a file of
>> 100mb) my station simply reboot! (no blue screen, nothing, just a
>> reboot and no event in the event log)

>> also the problem occurs if I'm not connected to the station and I
>> copy a file remotly from this station to another computer.

>> during my tests (when thre reboot is not instantaneous) I see the
>> usage of the bandwidth is 10 to 15% of a 100mbps line.
>> doing the same work on another XP computer demonstrate a usage of
>> 70-80% of the same network.

>> My network card is a 3Com.

>> Any idea of what's appends?
>> what can I test/do?

>> thanks.

>> Jerome.

windows XP reboot during high network traffic???

Post by Fran » Mon, 18 Oct 2004 06:16:28

Download the diagnostic tools from 3com, specific to your card.
I was having trouble with a couple of my 3coms.  I used the
diagnostic tools and re configured the cards and they have been
working fine for a couple of years.
*But then if Murphy is around they may be just bad.*

Quote:> Hi,

> My station have some problems.
> When I generate a high network trafic  (like transfering a file of
> 100mb) my station simply reboot! (no blue screen, nothing, just a
> reboot and no event in the event log)

> also the problem occurs if I'm not connected to the station and I
> copy a file remotly from this station to another computer.

> during my tests (when thre reboot is not instantaneous) I see the
> usage of the bandwidth is 10 to 15% of a 100mbps line.
> doing the same work on another XP computer demonstrate a usage of
> 70-80% of the same network.

> My network card is a 3Com.

> Any idea of what's appends?
> what can I test/do?

> thanks.

> Jerome.

windows XP reboot during high network traffic???

Post by Jéjé » Mon, 18 Oct 2004 09:35:09

I've changed the auto-sense line option to 100mbps full duplex and the
computer appear to not reboot (for the moment ;))

I'll check intel card now ;-)
what model do you recommand for standard computers?