CD/CDRW Drive Not Reading CD's

Post by Ange » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 05:17:35

My computer is a Hewlett Packard, Windows XP about 16
months old and runs great. Only problem, about 4 months
ago it just stopped reading the CD's. For example, In "My
Computer" it simply notes the drive as being empty, as if
I don't have a CD in there. If I need to run a program
from CD, it'll say "insert into drive" when the CD is
already there. Even when I click on it there's no track
listing. I have tried various types of media, old CD's,
new CD's, blank CDR, burned CDR. Is this a problem that
needs to be sent to a tech?

CD/CDRW Drive Not Reading CD's

Post by Alvin A Brow » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 05:25:50

Hello

Well it's possible that you could have a defective CD/RW drive
and try replacing it.

Al

> My computer is a Hewlett Packard, Windows XP about 16
> months old and runs great. Only problem, about 4 months
> ago it just stopped reading the CD's. For example, In "My
> Computer" it simply notes the drive as being empty, as if
> I don't have a CD in there. If I need to run a program
> from CD, it'll say "insert into drive" when the CD is
> already there. Even when I click on it there's no track
> listing. I have tried various types of media, old CD's,
> new CD's, blank CDR, burned CDR. Is this a problem that
> needs to be sent to a tech?

CD/CDRW Drive Not Reading CD's

Post by Peter Hutchiso » Fri, 25 Jul 2003 04:13:15

Quote:>My computer is a Hewlett Packard, Windows XP about 16
>months old and runs great. Only problem, about 4 months
>ago it just stopped reading the CD's. For example, In "My
>Computer" it simply notes the drive as being empty, as if
>I don't have a CD in there. If I need to run a program
>from CD, it'll say "insert into drive" when the CD is
>already there. Even when I click on it there's no track
>listing. I have tried various types of media, old CD's,
>new CD's, blank CDR, burned CDR. Is this a problem that
>needs to be sent to a tech?

1. Clean the drive. Maybe the bit that checks if a CD is present is
dirty
2. Make sure Insert Notification is enabled (see Tweakui or REgistry)
3. Drive may be broken :( New CD drives can be bought for <20

Peter Hutchison
Windows FAQ
http://www.pcguru.plus.com/